Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Improving Bench Press (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3673)

strkout35 06-30-2010 10:53 PM

Improving Bench Press

I've been stuck at 145 trying to do 3x5 for like 4 workouts now....

I've thought of alot of things such as trying 5x5 with the same weight and doing 3x higher rep and try to add reps. Does anyone have any ideas to help me increase my bench?

CallmeKing 06-30-2010 10:58 PM

Floor presses, CGBP, OHP, pushpress, bench to a board or foam roll. That's usually the accessory work I do for bench.

strkout35 06-30-2010 11:05 PM

well i still consider myself a beginner like my max is probably only around 165. my bench sucks.

i do OH pressing but i'm just wondering how i should approach my bench workout

Rich Knapp 06-30-2010 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CallmeKing (Post 67347)
Floor presses, CGBP, OHP, pushpress, bench to a board or foam roll. That's usually the accessory work I do for bench.

I agree. Floor presses helped for me.
Also how are your delts and tri's? They play a big part.

strkout35 06-30-2010 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Knapp (Post 67357)
I agree. Floor presses helped for me.
Also how are your delts and tri's? They play a big part.

not bad. i work delts with OH presses.

what do you guys think i should do on bench day. 5x5? 3x8? other ideas?

onetiredkris 06-30-2010 11:36 PM

honestly i dont think you need all that assistance work, no offense but your still pushing fairly beginner numbers and can keep on gaining easy without deviating from regular benchpressing.

i do think you should DEFINITELY use mixed rep ranges to stimulate both types of muscle fibers, improve strength/size/muscle endurance. (along with delt and tri work)

dont worry bro, just give it all you got everytime you work out and you WILL get stronger. dont forget to eat btw =x

big valsalva 07-01-2010 12:04 AM

Volume has seemed to be the key for me. Our numbers look to be very comparable. I've been doing the 5/3/1 format, and repping out to near failure on the last set. I've been chasing my max set by repeating my two previous sets, then doing 5x10 in the 40%-60% range.

Here is part of the journal entry for my last BP workout. I've added the comments in blue:

Quote:

Originally Posted by big valsalva (Post 66289)
Sunday, 6/27/10

Workout 4.3.2

Bench Press
Warmup (45x5x2, 70x5, 90x3, 105x3) - In between warmup sets I would do as many chins/pullups as I could, which sometimes wasn't much. I tried them both ways.
130x5
150x3
165x9 - Smashed previous 5RM! Smash! My spotter told me I had one more, so I pulled it down and nearly got it back up, but during the ensuing epic struggle, the left side started dropping, so I bailed.
150x3
130x5
70x10 = 40% of 1RM
90x10 = 50% of 1RM
105x10 = 60% of 1RM
105x9
105x10

So counting all my warmup sets, I'm getting close to 100 reps per BP workout. Now, I've never been a believer of volume, but this format allows for it, so I've embraced it for now. The result? In January I tested at 180x1, which oddly enough, is what the calculators predicted I should be able to do. Now, five months later, I've blown my old 5RM out of the water, and my 1RM calculates to just under 215.

Long story short. If you want to get good at something, practice it. This applies to all things. Baseball, driving, music, lovemaking, and bench pressing. Yes, the assistance work is critical. I've found that my triceps are the weak link, so I do my best to bomb them hard. But I do those assistance exercises on my OHP day. BP day is pretty much BP only. I do some DB pressing as well.

That's what I've found works for me. It may or may not work for you.

big_swede 07-01-2010 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strkout35 (Post 67359)
not bad. i work delts with OH presses.

what do you guys think i should do on bench day. 5x5? 3x8? other ideas?

Try descending down like 8,6,4,2,1,1 or something like that, heavy singles really helped my bench to get back up after shoulder injury. Slowly adapting to higher weight. Forced reps might work to! Good luck!

Bodybygamma 07-01-2010 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big valsalva (Post 67364)
Volume has seemed to be the key for me. Our numbers look to be very comparable. I've been doing the 5/3/1 format, and repping out to near failure on the last set. I've been chasing my max set by repeating my two previous sets, then doing 5x10 in the 40%-60% range.

Here is part of the journal entry for my last BP workout. I've added the comments in blue:

So counting all my warmup sets, I'm getting close to 100 reps per BP workout. Now, I've never been a believer of volume, but this format allows for it, so I've embraced it for now. The result? In January I tested at 180x1, which oddly enough, is what the calculators predicted I should be able to do. Now, five months later, I've blown my old 5RM out of the water, and my 1RM calculates to just under 215.

Long story short. If you want to get good at something, practice it. This applies to all things. Baseball, driving, music, lovemaking, and bench pressing. Yes, the assistance work is critical. I've found that my triceps are the weak link, so I do my best to bomb them hard. But I do those assistance exercises on my OHP day. BP day is pretty much BP only. I do some DB pressing as well.

That's what I've found works for me. It may or may not work for you.

Very good post. I will add some helpful videos on bench press forms and techniques.

BendtheBar 07-01-2010 09:21 AM

Volume works good for me SO. I don't know why, but with chest if I do too little work, I make no progress.

What days are you benching again?

Also, is it possible to get a video of your form?