Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:10 PM   #21
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Overhead presses/high-volume singles.
IronManlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #22
muscle_g
Max Brawn
Points: 7,814, Level: 59 Points: 7,814, Level: 59 Points: 7,814, Level: 59
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: lifting since 12yrs old
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squats, Bench, Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Vitamins/Minerals
muscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkout35 View Post
I've been stuck at 145 trying to do 3x5 for like 4 workouts now....

I've thought of alot of things such as trying 5x5 with the same weight and doing 3x higher rep and try to add reps. Does anyone have any ideas to help me increase my bench?

If your max is only 145 all I think you need to do is bench and get stronger at benching. Forget about floor presses, board presses ect. For raw lifting I feel 2 sets of 6 and 1 drop set of 8 reps has worked out really good for me. I have my training partner on this rep scheme and he is making PR's as well.

Some key muscles to strengthen for bench

1. Chest(after bench do either flat DB Bench or Incline DB bench for high reps)

2. Triceps(the stronger they are the stronger your bench will be)

3. Shoulders(these are one of the main muscles in bench, especially work the rear delts)

4. Lats/Upper Back(your back along with chest is what gets the bar moving from the bottom to lockout, do your rows in the same plain of motion that you bench with)

Best Lifts
625/450/500 Geared
405/315/475 Raw

Training log
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16621
muscle_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #23
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_g View Post
If your max is only 145 all I think you need to do is bench and get stronger at benching. Forget about floor presses, board presses ect. For raw lifting I feel 2 sets of 6 and 1 drop set of 8 reps has worked out really good for me. I have my training partner on this rep scheme and he is making PR's as well.

3. Shoulders(these are one of the main muscles in bench, especially work the rear delts)

4. Lats/Upper Back(your back along with chest is what gets the bar moving from the bottom to lockout, do your rows in the same plain of motion that you bench with)
Very good advice!

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:35 PM   #24
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_g View Post

thanks man. i'm going to be using the slightly higher rep backoff set that you suggested. also i'm going to start doing pendlay rows so they're on the same plane that i'm benching on

_________Goals:__
Squat:______275
Deadlift:_____315
Bench:______185
Press:_______135

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:48 AM   #25
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Pendlays are very good. Seated Cables and T-Bars are also in the same plane. If the Pendlays ever stall, switch up. You'll be a benching monster in very short order.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote