Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Frequency of Changing Routines

How often do you change routines and why?

I get this question a lot from beginners. Many of the muscle mags preach muscle confusion and frequent changing of routines.

Just wondering what you believe and follow?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

My story ...I trained using the same basic approach for the first 20 years I lifted. I did split it different, starting at 3 on 1 off, eventually moving to training each bodypart once a week, but I trained using the same exercises and rep schemes.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
onetiredkris
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

Never, i have what i like and it works just fine.

People get way to damn into routine work and never ride one out the way it should be anyway. As long as the weights are moving up and your happy + not getting injured = then its all good.

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

i think it's ok to change as long as you keep progressing... the people who change programs every 3 weeks and then deload each time (as noobs) are wasting their time.
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 06-21-2010, 07:49 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

So if you do change routines, what exactly are you changing? I guess that's the key question?

Old 06-21-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

I've only changed a routine twice; once because I was stalling on 5x5, and again because the routine I was on was holding me back a bit.

But I think I'll be running the one I'm doing now for a long time. No need to change what works.
IronManlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManlet View Post
No need to change what works.
I think that's the key statement for me.

I speak from a muscle building standpoint. In that context for naturals, persistence on a core group of quality lifts goes a long way. If someone wants to switch up rep ranges, or play with rest pause, etc., I see no issue with that as long as progression is at the forefront of an approach.

But when someone is thinking about swapping squats for leg extensions in the name of muscle confusion...well, I consider that thinking epic fail.

I know most of us here know better, but it still amazes me how much this mentality is still prevalent in the lifting community.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #8
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb.com noob
Keeping the same exercises will make me plateau. Variation is the key. This is why im looking for new shoulder exercises.
just read this in a bb.com thread and facepalmed hard

_________Goals:__
Squat:______275
Deadlift:_____315
Bench:______185
Press:_______135

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:44 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkout35 View Post
just read this in a bb.com thread and facepalmed hard
Yes, exactly. Perhaps he should work in side laterals on an unstable surface...

I hate to sound so cynical, but that mentality really needs to take a long look at pre-steroid era training.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 06-21-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:02 AM   #10
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Yes, exactly. Perhaps he should work in side laterals on an unstable surface...

I hate to sound so cynical, but that mentality really needs to take a long look at pre-steroid era training.
My thoughts exactly. In fact, many of the fitness models of modern times would be put to shame next to someone like John Grimek, Arthur Saxon, or Hermann Goerner (sp?); who all trained with very basic movements throughout their careers and were strong as oxen.
IronManlet is offline   Reply With Quote