Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
Dynasty
The Irish One
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,235, Level: 19 Points: 1,235, Level: 19 Points: 1,235, Level: 19
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Dynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributor
Cool I want to be a Bodybuilder

THIS WILL BE A LONG POST, GET YOUR COFFEE/TEA AND/OR PROTEIN DRINK

Introduction:
Hello Muscle and Brawn community, I am a brand new member this being my first post. And as the title suggests: I WANT TO BE A BODYBUILDER! So naturally I want to surround myself with people like you guys who are in some sort of same mindset as myself. Now I am not a total noobie to training I have trained for over a year now and yes I guess I do got a lot to learn, don't we all, but we all have to start somewhere. I'll be filling in my profile more after this post

Stats:
Height: 5ft 7inches
Weight Pounds: 150lbs
BF: 14%
Started Pounds: Approx 120lbs
Time training: About 13-14months
Supplements in use at moment: Creatine and Whey Protein (gainer type) and L-Glutamine.

Story:

I started just before last summer from being quite a skinny fellow with a "skinny 6pack" to now a more built up kind of guy without one revealing (do I care, no). I've had nice success thus far with overall strength gains and muscle. I'll try get some pics to give you some indication but I'm sure from being a total skinny to this is quite an improvement. I don't care about my fat gains, they can be easily rid of as you know with some cutting.

I'm currently in the middle of bulking up this summer and I want to be bulking up till winter I say or longer, I want to keep gaining weight, put meat on my bones so to speak. I don't mind that I'm gaining fat pounds along with my current weight, you don't get anywhere unless you eat big right? So I'm eating like an animal, eating like someone who probably is around 200lbs lol. I'm on a 5 day split now and I love my training. I really want to be a bodybuilder, maybe not a competitive one, but a nicely built guy, that stands out but is not GIGANTIC, but an animal...yes.

I got 3 questions which should help me on my way:

1. How much on average do you think an intermediate type trainee like myself would gain in muscle mass in about 3 months or even 6 months or even more (please specify)?

2. Is it sensible to keep going like I am for maybe another year so I might be 180lbs or so? But I do realize a lot of that would be fat! And although I'm not afraid of fat I don't want to be too fat, get what I'm saying? Or maybe I should go to winter and cut and then re-bulk?

3. If I was gaining muscle mass mainly I should be doing reps around the 8-12 range, what weight on compounds like Bench, Squat, Deads etc etc should I be doing in terms relative to my max 1 rep %? Around the 70% max 1 rep 8-12 or is it more? I know power-lifting and strength is approx 90% for 6 reps or less, I do read.

Thanks for your time, any more info you need just shoot. I hope you guys will welcome a new optimistic and determined bodybuilder like myself into your community! I will work my ass off, pump pump pump!!! Do whatever I can to get my goals if I can. You want, sweat, pain and tears? I'll give you that! I'll come home in pain and rest and know I've done myself a service. I'll lift heavy and aim to be heavy. I think 30lbs in the past year proves I'm serious, this helped build a frame for me and get me some work in.

I know this was a long post but I don't want to be a kid and go I want to be a bodybuilder and I know nothing.... I'm not like that. I don't expect to be spoon fed my meals from you, I just want to build up with you guys. I read a lot into this stuff and try get my workouts better and improve my lifting as much as I can while building size and strength.

I'll add my current workout split next give me time to type it up, hopefully I can get some positive feedback. Hi community! All I ask is to please answer those 3 questions and anything else you wish to know.
Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
CallmeKing
Max Brawn
Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

CallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributor

1. This will be hard to answer if you're training hard, sleeping a decent amount a night, and eating a lot you'll gain weight.

2. I started around the same weight as you maybe a little more and we're the same height. I haven't cut yet and I've been bulking since I started and weigh about 170 now. So, yes I think you can bulk till 180 i plan to bulk till at least 180-185

3. I agree 8-12 may be the optimal rep range for muscle growth I think at your level you should at least have some days when you train in low rep range for strength. As a beginner I think everyone should be training for strength. I tend to stay in the low rep ranges 6 or less and I've been growing like crazy.

I'm not an expert but, I hope this helps. Welcome to the forum man!

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
CallmeKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
Dynasty
The Irish One
Uber Brawn

Dynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributor

Hey thanks alot for your warm welcome! Great to see another guy my height and around my same starting stats! Do you find you put on a lot of bodyfat while just eating eating and gaining to that 170 pounds you are now or?

As regards the rep ranges I had plenty of those 6 days like benching and squats, they still rising steadily, I just thought to build muscle I'll have to drop the weight to about 70% of my max or so so I be doing around the 8-12 mark? Or maybe perhaps 1 week heavy(85-90%), 1 week lighter (70%ish) and repeat? That's for the main compounds anyway. Getting my workout schedule up in a few mins just sorting a few stuff ^^
Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
CallmeKing
Max Brawn

CallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
Hey thanks alot for your warm welcome! Great to see another guy my height and around my same starting stats! Do you find you put on a lot of bodyfat while just eating eating and gaining to that 170 pounds you are now or?

As regards the rep ranges I had plenty of those 6 days like benching and squats, they still rising steadily, I just thought to build muscle I'll have to drop the weight to about 70% of my max or so so I be doing around the 8-12 mark? Or maybe perhaps 1 week heavy(85-90%), 1 week lighter (70%ish) and repeat? That's for the main compounds anyway. Getting my workout schedule up in a few mins just sorting a few stuff ^^
I didn't gain too much fat. That picture is current so I still have visible abs. As long as your compound lifts are going and that rep range is working for you its all good. I'm also Irish man. Maybe we're long lost brothers? I think if you're eating and resting well you can gain muscle in any rep range.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 06-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

irish FTW.
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 06-19-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
Dynasty
The Irish One
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
irish FTW.
Damn straight! UP DA REBELS! Hi there.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
Dynasty
The Irish One
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeKing View Post
I didn't gain too much fat. That picture is current so I still have visible abs. As long as your compound lifts are going and that rep range is working for you its all good. I'm also Irish man. Maybe we're long lost brothers? I think if you're eating and resting well you can gain muscle in any rep range.
Nice pic dude, you bearly gained any fat (well so I see) nice nice I got bit of a belly going, but I'm not fussed, I know its gone when I want it gone People generally cry that they gain weight, I cry when I'm not gaining lol Yeah man maybe we are long lost bros
Old 06-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
CallmeKing
Max Brawn

Quote:
Nice pic dude, you bearly gained any fat (well so I see) nice nice I got bit of a belly going, but I'm not fussed, I know its gone when I want it gone People generally cry that they gain weight, I cry when I'm not gaining lol Yeah man maybe we are long lost bros
Well, I tend to not carry much fat on my stomach. Looking forward to seeing you hit some big numbers in the weight room and on the scale man.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
Dynasty
The Irish One
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeKing View Post
Well, I tend to not carry much fat on my stomach. Looking forward to seeing you hit some big numbers in the weight room and on the scale man.
Right back at ya bro and damn you for not carrying fat on stomach, it's where all mine goes! lol
Old 06-19-2010, 03:17 PM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:

I got 3 questions which should help me on my way:

1. How much on average do you think an intermediate type trainee like myself would gain in muscle mass in about 3 months or even 6 months or even more (please specify)?

2. Is it sensible to keep going like I am for maybe another year so I might be 180lbs or so? But I do realize a lot of that would be fat! And although I'm not afraid of fat I don't want to be too fat, get what I'm saying? Or maybe I should go to winter and cut and then re-bulk?

3. If I was gaining muscle mass mainly I should be doing reps around the 8-12 range, what weight on compounds like Bench, Squat, Deads etc etc should I be doing in terms relative to my max 1 rep %? Around the 70% max 1 rep 8-12 or is it more? I know power-lifting and strength is approx 90% for 6 reps or less, I do read.

Thanks for your time, any more info you need just shoot. I hope you guys will welcome a new optimistic and determined bodybuilder like myself into your community! I will work my ass off, pump pump pump!!! Do whatever I can to get my goals if I can. You want, sweat, pain and tears? I'll give you that! I'll come home in pain and rest and know I've done myself a service. I'll lift heavy and aim to be heavy. I think 30lbs in the past year proves I'm serious, this helped build a frame for me and get me some work in.

I know this was a long post but I don't want to be a kid and go I want to be a bodybuilder and I know nothing.... I'm not like that. I don't expect to be spoon fed my meals from you, I just want to build up with you guys. I read a lot into this stuff and try get my workouts better and improve my lifting as much as I can while building size and strength.

I'll add my current workout split next give me time to type it up, hopefully I can get some positive feedback. Hi community! All I ask is to please answer those 3 questions and anything else you wish to know.
Welcome to the forum.

A beginning natural bodybuilder who is training hard and eating right should gain at least 10 to 16 pounds of muscle during his first year of hardcore training. Sometimes a bit more. An intermediate to advanced lifter will gain fewer pounds as the years progress. According to Casey Butt, this is the muscle progression that an average natural bodybuilder can expect:

* Year 1 - 16 pounds of muscle.
* Year 2 - 8 pounds of muscle.
* Year 3 - 4 pounds of muscle.
* Year 4 - 2 pounds of muscle.
* Year 5 - 1 pound of muscle.

I interview and speak with natural bodybuilders on a daily basis. Most of them stick around 190 to 210 in the off-season and compete around 170 to 180 contest weight. If you hit 180, don't worry if any of it is fat. Fat can always be cut...and 180 is still pretty darn lean, all things considered.

I would not cut until you have at least a year or two of heavy lifting under your belt. Build muscle first. Constant cycling holds you back.

As far as training, stick with mainly heavy compound lifts in the 5 to 12 rep range. The longer you train, generally the less you like higher rep sets...at least for me this is the case. Rep range doesn't matter as much as progression. ALWAYS push for more reps/weight on every set of every workout. Never waste a set. Be persistent about hitting the gym. Persistence plus heavy weight plus food equals fast gains.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote