Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #31
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post

I know these are kg but I'm in Ireland and how it kinda goes here, at least in my gym. Do those sound somewhat ok or anything dangerously bad there?
Ooh, Irish. Can you please say "Edinburgh" for me? Oh crap, that's Scottish. Nevermind. Unless you really can say it the right way, then, you know...feel free to lay it on me.

Ok, sorry, I obviously have nothing of value to add to the conversation other than an extra X chromosome and some shameless leghumping.

{{backs away slowly then runs out the door}}

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #32
Dynasty
The Irish One
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,235, Level: 19 Points: 1,235, Level: 19 Points: 1,235, Level: 19
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Dynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalVirago View Post
Ooh, Irish. Can you please say "Edinburgh" for me? Oh crap, that's Scottish. Nevermind. Unless you really can say it the right way, then, you know...feel free to lay it on me.

Ok, sorry, I obviously have nothing of value to add to the conversation other than an extra X chromosome and some shameless leghumping.

{{backs away slowly then runs out the door}}
lol. Yes I can say Edinburgh the way the Scottish do haha, do got a good Irish accent up on me in all I come across more clear spoken to foreigners though cuz I'm, just a good communicator Feel free to hump my leg from now again for a cookie. lol

If anyone got advise to the question on the other page that be superrrrrrr.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #33
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Quote:
lol. Yes I can say Edinburgh the way the Scottish do haha, do got a good Irish accent up on me in all I come across more clear spoken to foreigners though cuz I'm, just a good communicator Feel free to hump my leg from now again for a cookie. lol

If anyone got advise to the question on the other page that be superrrrrrr.
Cookies? Do I look like I eat cookies?!? LOL I WILL leghump for peanut butter though. I'm just sayin'.

Sorry I couldn't offer any advice but that's all about that manlifting thing and I'm just a wee lass and don't know about such macho things. Don't worry though, you'll get your question answered. Those lunkheads probably aren't even up yet.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #34
andys_trim
Max Brawn
Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift!
Fav Supp: Any I can afford.
andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Ok in my selection I've taken off 6 exercises, 2 from Tri's, Bi's and Calves, all the smaller muscles. The bigger muscles (Shoulders, Chest, Back and Legs) all have 5 workouts each except for my Back which has 6. The big muscles will be using my smaller muscles as nearly all lifts are compound so this should emphasize greater size/mass overall and strength gains (I think). I think this is better, any suggestions? (check workout page 2)

For my most major compounds I'm really unsure however... I know I need to lift heavy but how heavy is heavy for 6-8/12 whatever reps? 70% of max or more? Also do you guys advise maybe a change every week or summit that one week it might be 70% max rep for 6-12 and then the next week its 85%ish of max but 5-6 reps etc? I'm really unsure how I should proceed in terms of reps and the weight of main most important big compound exercises. Or do you feel the big 3 (deads, squats, bench) should be always heavy at 85-90% for 5-6 reps?

When I am lifting heavy I tend to not worry about numbers. Put big weight on there and bang out as many reps as you can. Make sure you have a spotter though! I always carry around a notebook and write down all my numbers for my workout so when I look back I know what I did. Never settle for anything less than you did the workout before. Try and make weight progression each time if you can! Even small weight increase on heavy compounds are a big accomplishment!!

Good luck, hope you reach all your goals. We are all here to help.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
andys_trim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:12 AM   #35
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:

For my most major compounds I'm really unsure however... I know I need to lift heavy but how heavy is heavy for 6-8/12 whatever reps? 70% of max or more? Also do you guys advise maybe a change every week or summit that one week it might be 70% max rep for 6-12 and then the next week its 85%ish of max but 5-6 reps etc? I'm really unsure how I should proceed in terms of reps and the weight of main most important big compound exercises. Or do you feel the big 3 (deads, squats, bench) should be always heavy at 85-90% for 5-6 reps?
For deadlifts, I wouldn't perform more then 3 working sets, possibly 1-2 sets at 5 reps and a lighter at 10.

Squats, you definitely want 1-2 heavy sets around 5 to 6 reps, 1-2 moderate sets at 6-10 reps, and maybe a big monster at 12-20 reps.

Bench. 1-2 at 5-6 reps, and 1-2 at 6-10 reps.

You always want to push for more reps on every set. If you are using 225 for squats and your goal is 8 reps. Push, and when you hit 8 reps, add weight. Never waste a set.

Using 5 to 6 lifts for major muscle groups ...I still think that's far too much volume. 3 to 4 lifts per major muscle group is plenty, and then some...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:17 AM   #36
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
You always want to push for more reps on every set. Never waste a set.
very well said!
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #37
Dynasty
The Irish One
Uber Brawn

Dynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalVirago View Post
Cookies? Do I look like I eat cookies?!? LOL I WILL leghump for peanut butter though. I'm just sayin'.
Ok peanut butter it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_trim View Post
When I am lifting heavy I tend to not worry about numbers. Put big weight on there and bang out as many reps as you can. Make sure you have a spotter though! I always carry around a notebook and write down all my numbers for my workout so when I look back I know what I did. Never settle for anything less than you did the workout before. Try and make weight progression each time if you can! Even small weight increase on heavy compounds are a big accomplishment!!
Good luck, hope you reach all your goals. We are all here to help.
Thanks a lot for the sound advice bud Hoping I can pay the favor someday I won't settle for anything less! Man on a mission!

Quote:
For deadlifts, I wouldn't perform more then 3 working sets, possibly 1-2 sets at 5 reps and a lighter at 10.

Squats, you definitely want 1-2 heavy sets around 5 to 6 reps, 1-2 moderate sets at 6-10 reps, and maybe a big monster at 12-20 reps.

Bench. 1-2 at 5-6 reps, and 1-2 at 6-10 reps.

You always want to push for more reps on every set. If you are using 225 for squats and your goal is 8 reps. Push, and when you hit 8 reps, add weight. Never waste a set.

Using 5 to 6 lifts for major muscle groups ...I still think that's far too much volume. 3 to 4 lifts per major muscle group is plenty, and then some...
You've been a great help! Thank you so much Do you think that big monster 12-20 should be a moderate weight also yea or maybe slightly lower than the moderate for the squat? I enjoy the deadlifts and really aiming to up them, I still think I'm just pacing myself, but I am building weight onto squats and deadlifts EVERY week so my 'pitiful' squats/deads are slowly but very steadily increasing. The above advice should help a lot. My bench is bleh though ha, I'm sure everyone says the same that the bench just dawdles behind the other 2 biggies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post
very well said!
It was indeed!
Old 06-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #38
Dynasty
The Irish One
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Noted. Took the sissy Lat Pulldowns off the back day and brought it all to an even 5. I am gonna be using this new format tomorrow, and if I think it is indeed too much volume I will take off another thing etc. And I'll see what I feel like after a week of this. But I feel that if I am really upping my game at the 'Big 3', I'm sure I will lower the volume to others. Well let's see this week
Old 06-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #39
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Best of luck and hit it hard!

What does your training diet look like?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #40
Dynasty
The Irish One
Uber Brawn

My maintenance is about 2.5k. I eat about anywhere higher than that, usually around the 500 mark. I eat approx 1g protein per BW pound, eat plenty of carbs to fuel my workouts and plenty of healthy fats.

I eat several servings of fruit/veg a day for plenty of vitamins I also have L-Glutamine and Creatine daily also (my Creatine stops for 1 month next week). Oh also take 2 teaspoons of some fish oil in the mornings. (yum yum EPAs and DHAs)

My whey protein shakes I have 4 a day as it recommends, might sound alot, but I'm simply following this bulking ones instructions. It's called Mass XXL by Trec Nutrition. I have 200g a day, 50g approx each serving. 1 about 1.5hrs before workout, 1 right after it, and 2 combined with smaller meals (a smaller meal could be as little as a fruit or anything else) in the evening. I get approx: 40g protein, 140g carbs, 2.50g fat everyday from this source alone along with A LOT of other vitamins and other ingredients. It totals almost 800 cals a day from the powder alone, I have 2 shakes with water, 2 with whole milk.

I drink A LOT of water daily too, because I love water and I love milk, my 2 fav drinks. I extremely rarely actually touch fast food places maybe 3-4 times a year or less! I also do not eat much junk food, approx 1-2 bars of chocolate a week if I'm lucky. It's just my thing really.

Sounding somewhat ok?

Edit: I want to add in a typical breakfast for myself: Some cereal like Wheetabix etc, an omelette consisting of 3 whole medium eggs and 2 slices of toast with a small glass of milk or juice or even tea. Then I have a protein shake a bit later for brunch, before I go for a workout. Breakfast totals just under 1000 cals usually.

Last edited by Dynasty; 06-20-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote