Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   BB.Com Classics - Strength Not Needed For Size (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3560)

BendtheBar 06-16-2010 12:02 PM

BB.Com Classics - Strength Not Needed For Size

Stop telling people to engage in workout programs not conducive to their goals - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Quote:

not everyone has the same goals that they should all be pushed into one size fits all programs to build up a "strength base."

ricka182 06-16-2010 12:34 PM

I read that thread...it's amazing how the ignorance of some people spreads like a disease..

BendtheBar 06-16-2010 12:42 PM

Man, I spent my teen years doing bullcrap work with weights and looked like a fat skinny guy. I never made any progress whatsoever until I started slapping on plates.

I'm not really sure what the alternative is...

Maiar 06-17-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 63646)
Man, I spent my teen years doing bullcrap work with weights and looked like a fat skinny guy. I never made any progress whatsoever until I started slapping on plates.

I'm not really sure what the alternative is...

Yeah I see people saying 'it's not about how much you lift, it's about how much you look like you lift' and I think to myself, well if you can't lift much at all how the hell are you going to look like you lift anything?
I notice people make the best noob gains when they get on a solid program with linear progression that focuses on the 3 big lifts, and I'm new to the iron game. It sucks that people waste their time because they don't keep it simple and focus on getting strong but I guess it's not my problem.

BendtheBar 06-17-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maiar (Post 63900)
It sucks that people waste their time because they don't keep it simple and focus on getting strong but I guess it's not my problem.

Even intense workouts that involve a lot of slow negatives, rest-pause, etc., still focus on progression. DC training is a perfect example of that.

Regardless of the system, you still have to lift a heavier rock sooner or later.

nighttrain 06-17-2010 02:17 PM

Light weight!!!!!

IronManlet 06-17-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 63905)
Even intense workouts that involve a lot of slow negatives, rest-pause, etc., still focus on progression. DC training is a perfect example of that.

Regardless of the system, you still have to lift a heavier rock sooner or later.

Exactly. It's either heavy, or nothing at all; IMO. (heavy being a relative term. lol I'm not as strong as most of you)

I went in there and told them to either try a simple progression program out for themselves and judge its effectiveness that way instead of arguing about it, or to STFU. They thought I was idiotic...

BendtheBar 06-17-2010 02:27 PM

I was thinking about this for other applications...sports...mountain climbing...whatever.

My question is...if you are lifter weights for ANY purpose, is there ever a reason why progression isn't important for someone just starting out?

nighttrain 06-17-2010 02:38 PM

i think progression has to be important, how else will you ever know if what you are doing is working or not...

big_swede 06-17-2010 04:02 PM

"If you dont want to break a sweat and you cant handle pain, then why are you at my gym taking up my power rack curling your way into oblivion, punk?" :thefinger: