Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
styrkecoach
Brawn
Points: 1,557, Level: 22 Points: 1,557, Level: 22 Points: 1,557, Level: 22
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

styrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good posts
Default what do you think of this program

was thinking of an upper/lower splitt with focus on the 4 big lifts,
squat,bench,dead,overhead press.

monday:
Benchpress 5x5
Overheadpress 3x5
Barbell row 5x10
Biceps Curls 2x12

Tuesday:
Squat 5x5
Deadlift3x5
GHR 5x10
Planke/Sideplank 3x20s(20s each side)

Thursday:
Overheadpress 5x5
Benchpress 3x5
Chins 5x10
CGBP 2x12

Friday:
Deadlift 5x5
Squat 3x5
Lunges 5x10
Hyperextensions/Goodmornings 3x10

Thinking of going pyramide like on the 5x5,
and using a flat pyramid on the 3x5.

was thinking of maybe applying prilepins table on the first main lift of the WO.

example:
week 1 monday
Benchpress 5x5 65%1rm

week 2 monday
Benchpress 5x4 75%1rm

week 3 monday
Benchpress 5x3 85%1rm

week 4 monday
Benchpress 3x1 95%1rm

waaaaaatcha think?
styrkecoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Looks solid, especially if you have a strong lower back. Have you considered speed work on squat/dead days, like:

Squat, speed deads

Deadlift, speed squats

...not saying this would necessarily be better. More wondering if you've ever played with speed work?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
styrkecoach
Brawn

styrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Looks solid, especially if you have a strong lower back. Have you considered speed work on squat/dead days, like:

Squat, speed deads

Deadlift, speed squats

...not saying this would necessarily be better. More wondering if you've ever played with speed work?
havent played with DE work,
have been thinking about it, especially after i read practical programming by mark rippetoe.

but wonder how this will effect hypertrofy?

are training for size and strenght, and are competing in powerlifting, if a meet is convenient with my training phase.

kinda figured out that since im also focusing on size and strenght, i just do some explosive work like box squats for the first sets 50-65%1rm before the working sets.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by styrkecoach View Post

but wonder how this will effect hypertrofy?
Good point. I train "powerbuilding" and if I had to choose, would add in front squats and good mornings instead of speed work, but that's just me. Speed work isn't always fun for me.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Quote:
Good point. I train "powerbuilding" and if I had to choose, would add in front squats and good mornings instead of speed work, but that's just me. Speed work isn't always fun for me.
I also feel that I train somewhat for powerbuilding but with more of a focus on powerlifting. However, just wanted to say that I love doing speed squats, I think they are a lot of fun and challenging. I think they could also help with hypertrophy if you keep the rest periods short enough. I try to keep the rest periods around 30-45 seconds.

Also, gets to be a bit of a cardio workout by the end.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I do like speed squats more then speed deads. I wish I had some bands to play around with. Maybe Santa (or my wife) is listening....

Old 06-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #7
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Quote:
I do like speed squats more then speed deads. I wish I had some bands to play around with. Maybe Santa (or my wife) is listening....
Bands make all the difference!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #8
styrkecoach
Brawn

like you say, speed work isnt always fun.
dont have that experience with it but i prefer lifting heavy, and any thing below 65%1rm i just plain dull.