Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:32 AM   #1
Dianna Bol
New Brawn
Points: 2,505, Level: 30 Points: 2,505, Level: 30 Points: 2,505, Level: 30
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Dianna Bol is new to the forumDianna Bol is new to the forum
Default HIT, Full body and Volume Training

I'm trying to figure out what teh major differences are between HIT and full body training. I am also curious what HIT is more like, a full body workout or a volume workout.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
styrkecoach
Brawn
Points: 1,557, Level: 22 Points: 1,557, Level: 22 Points: 1,557, Level: 22
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

styrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good posts

im no HITer, but...

in the beggining HIT used to be a fullbody workout, over the years it has also been used as a split.

Arthur Jones was the guy who started the whole HIT idea, and have many advocates, mike mentzers heavy duty, nautilus etc.

HIT is LOW volume, HIGH intensety

The conceps of HIT is to fatigue the muscle to concentric failure by one set.usually beetween 8-12repetitions.
You can have multiple exercises per musclegroup, but only one set per exercise.

example full body workout:

Leg extension 1set 8-12reps
Leg curls 1set 8-12reps
Leg press 1set 8-12reps
Chins 1set 8-12reps
Machine rows 1set 8-12reps
Chestpress 1set 8-12reps
Shoulderpress 1set 8-12reps
Pec dec 1set 8-12reps
Triceps extension 1set 8-12reps
Abs 1set 8-12reps
lower back 1set 8-12reps

As you can se it is a total amount of eleven sets, not high volume, not even close :P

HITers are prefer machines over freewheights because it is difficult to train to failure in example the squat.

HITers are firm belivers of good form and controlled movements.

The rest periods are low to none, kinda like a ball busting failure circuit training.

Does it work, yes absolutly,
but you will propably hit a platue pretty fast because of the idea is to train to failure and try to increase the weights as often as possibly.

But what if you cant increase the weights any more? do you train to more failure? do you increase volume?

as i said, im no HITer, i prefer fatigue as a result of volume and intensity (sets), not just intensity.
and im just to ****ing lazy to run from machine to machine.
and yeah btw i dont like machines
styrkecoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
DiscoMushrooms
Crank It Up!
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1

DiscoMushrooms is off to a bad start

In my honest opinion, HIT is one of the more strange training protocols Ive ever read about. The volume is extremely low and while some may argue the intensity is high, it in no way compares to super-squats/20-rep squat method. HIT's reliance on machines also make it questionable (HIT training came out at the same time as Nautilus and some other big names) to me.

Is HIT a good style of training? There is a lot of evidence that says it is, however IMO there are much better programs (this is me being nice). Volume junkies hate it, strength training junkies hate it, and I hate it too.
DiscoMushrooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
styrkecoach
Brawn

styrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoMushrooms View Post
Is HIT a good style of training? There is a lot of evidence that says it is, however IMO there are much better programs (this is me being nice). Volume junkies hate it, strength training junkies hate it, and I hate it too.
housewifes love it because it only take you about 20-30minutes to complete and you will make it back on the lying bicycle to continue watching the "day of our lives rerun episodes".

momma knows best.

but me being serious, actually been working on the nautilus training centers as a instructor for about a year now, and for begginers, its actually a pretty good place to start the training career.
but i wouldnt recommend it to anyone serious enough to actually be on the muscleandbrawn forum.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

My main beef with HIT is the focus on training to failure. I have never needed to train to failure for strength or muscle mass, so it is a foreign concept to me. I train close to failure, but it's never my goal to fail.

I know that many bodybuilders train to failure, and it works for them. It's just not for me

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
DiscoMushrooms
Crank It Up!
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1

DiscoMushrooms is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by styrkecoach View Post
housewifes love it because it only take you about 20-30minutes to complete and you will make it back on the lying bicycle to continue watching the "day of our lives rerun episodes".

momma knows best
F*ck I hate this. No body wants to put hard work in and good trainers get pushed aside for sh*tty ones who simply cater to this laziness. "I want to get fit but I cant diet properly due to my schedule." Its just sad. So many excuses!
DiscoMushrooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:20 AM   #7
styrkecoach
Brawn

the funny thing about HIT is that the majority of the people using it, is not using it at al.

remember HIT is high intensity to failure training.

housewifes do not train to failure, not even to mild uncomfort.

have seen people using HIT properly and gaining from it.
buut.. just not for me.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:

housewifes do not train to failure, not even to mild uncomfort.
My wife is the perfect example of this. Getting her to push herself at all is like trying to will the weather to change.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
styrkecoach
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
My wife is the perfect example of this. Getting her to push herself at all is like trying to will the weather to change.
im lucky.

my girlfriend joins me in the gym,
and i tell you..
there is nothing...NOTHING... more sexyer then watching your girlfriend doing squats A2G.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
im lucky.

my girlfriend joins me in the gym,
and i tell you..
there is nothing...NOTHING... more sexyer then watching your girlfriend doing squats A2G.
I agree there. My basement gym is small, and frequently my wife is squatting 2 feet from my face as I deadlift.