Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   HIT, Full body and Volume Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3479)

Dianna Bol 06-07-2010 07:32 AM

HIT, Full body and Volume Training

I'm trying to figure out what teh major differences are between HIT and full body training. I am also curious what HIT is more like, a full body workout or a volume workout.

styrkecoach 06-07-2010 10:39 AM

im no HITer, but...

in the beggining HIT used to be a fullbody workout, over the years it has also been used as a split.

Arthur Jones was the guy who started the whole HIT idea, and have many advocates, mike mentzers heavy duty, nautilus etc.

HIT is LOW volume, HIGH intensety

The conceps of HIT is to fatigue the muscle to concentric failure by one set.usually beetween 8-12repetitions.
You can have multiple exercises per musclegroup, but only one set per exercise.

example full body workout:

Leg extension 1set 8-12reps
Leg curls 1set 8-12reps
Leg press 1set 8-12reps
Chins 1set 8-12reps
Machine rows 1set 8-12reps
Chestpress 1set 8-12reps
Shoulderpress 1set 8-12reps
Pec dec 1set 8-12reps
Triceps extension 1set 8-12reps
Abs 1set 8-12reps
lower back 1set 8-12reps

As you can se it is a total amount of eleven sets, not high volume, not even close :P

HITers are prefer machines over freewheights because it is difficult to train to failure in example the squat.

HITers are firm belivers of good form and controlled movements.

The rest periods are low to none, kinda like a ball busting failure circuit training.

Does it work, yes absolutly,
but you will propably hit a platue pretty fast because of the idea is to train to failure and try to increase the weights as often as possibly.

But what if you cant increase the weights any more? do you train to more failure? do you increase volume?

as i said, im no HITer, i prefer fatigue as a result of volume and intensity (sets), not just intensity.
and im just to ****ing lazy to run from machine to machine.
and yeah btw i dont like machines :biglifter:

DiscoMushrooms 06-07-2010 11:55 AM

In my honest opinion, HIT is one of the more strange training protocols Ive ever read about. The volume is extremely low and while some may argue the intensity is high, it in no way compares to super-squats/20-rep squat method. HIT's reliance on machines also make it questionable (HIT training came out at the same time as Nautilus and some other big names) to me.

Is HIT a good style of training? There is a lot of evidence that says it is, however IMO there are much better programs (this is me being nice). Volume junkies hate it, strength training junkies hate it, and I hate it too.

styrkecoach 06-07-2010 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscoMushrooms (Post 61652)
Is HIT a good style of training? There is a lot of evidence that says it is, however IMO there are much better programs (this is me being nice). Volume junkies hate it, strength training junkies hate it, and I hate it too.

housewifes love it because it only take you about 20-30minutes to complete and you will make it back on the lying bicycle to continue watching the "day of our lives rerun episodes".

momma knows best.

but me being serious, actually been working on the nautilus training centers as a instructor for about a year now, and for begginers, its actually a pretty good place to start the training career.
but i wouldnt recommend it to anyone serious enough to actually be on the muscleandbrawn forum.

BendtheBar 06-07-2010 12:44 PM

My main beef with HIT is the focus on training to failure. I have never needed to train to failure for strength or muscle mass, so it is a foreign concept to me. I train close to failure, but it's never my goal to fail.

I know that many bodybuilders train to failure, and it works for them. It's just not for me :)

DiscoMushrooms 06-07-2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by styrkecoach (Post 61655)
housewifes love it because it only take you about 20-30minutes to complete and you will make it back on the lying bicycle to continue watching the "day of our lives rerun episodes".

momma knows best

F*ck I hate this. No body wants to put hard work in and good trainers get pushed aside for sh*tty ones who simply cater to this laziness. "I want to get fit but I cant diet properly due to my schedule." Its just sad. So many excuses!

styrkecoach 06-08-2010 05:20 AM

the funny thing about HIT is that the majority of the people using it, is not using it at al.

remember HIT is high intensity to failure training.

housewifes do not train to failure, not even to mild uncomfort.

have seen people using HIT properly and gaining from it.
buut.. just not for me.

BendtheBar 06-08-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by styrkecoach (Post 61805)

housewifes do not train to failure, not even to mild uncomfort.

My wife is the perfect example of this. Getting her to push herself at all is like trying to will the weather to change.

styrkecoach 06-09-2010 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 61830)
My wife is the perfect example of this. Getting her to push herself at all is like trying to will the weather to change.

im lucky.

my girlfriend joins me in the gym,
and i tell you..
there is nothing...NOTHING... more sexyer then watching your girlfriend doing squats A2G.

BendtheBar 06-09-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by styrkecoach (Post 62085)
im lucky.

my girlfriend joins me in the gym,
and i tell you..
there is nothing...NOTHING... more sexyer then watching your girlfriend doing squats A2G.

I agree there. My basement gym is small, and frequently my wife is squatting 2 feet from my face as I deadlift.