Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
Lerho
Brawn
Points: 2,733, Level: 31 Points: 2,733, Level: 31 Points: 2,733, Level: 31
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Lerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good posts
Default Help for deadlift

I tried and failed my new PR of 175kg in deadlift. Three attempts and everytime the outcome was identical. I got the bar above kneeheight surprisingly easily but then just couldnt straighten my back up. What is the problem? Could it be technical or is there some weak parts that should get strengthen and if there are, what are those and how can I strengthen them. My spotter told that beginning of the lift is so good that I could lift 185-190kg so this is really frustrating!
Lerho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2010, 01:26 AM   #2
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Do some assistance work like GM's, to strengthen you lower back, and do partial deads (rack pulls) to get stronger through sticking points. it can also be form related but its hard to tell withour vids. Btw, do you squat on a regular basis? Thats really helps the dead to.

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2010, 02:22 AM   #3
Lerho
Brawn

Lerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
Do some assistance work like GM's, to strengthen you lower back, and do partial deads (rack pulls) to get stronger through sticking points. it can also be form related but its hard to tell withour vids. Btw, do you squat on a regular basis? Thats really helps the dead to.

Good luck!
Thank you for advices. Maybe time to do Good Mornings and partial deads. Still I was very surprised to see this happen because it has always been the beginning of the lift that has been the difficult part. Once I have gotten the bar moving, there has not been problems before, not even when i got my last PR, 170kg that I berely got of the ground. Now I "exploded" with 175kg and it was easy and then compelete stop.

About squat, yes. I base my training around bench, squat and deadlift and as "accessory" exercises I also do weekly standing overhead press, weighted dips, weighted chins. Then from time to time, depending on current "cycle" I add some rows, pull-overs, leg press and abs.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:34 AM   #4
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100

big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Sounds like a solid w/o you got going. Might have been a bad day too, what stance do u use? I progressed very fast while switching to sumo stance a while back.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:07 AM   #5
Lerho
Brawn

Quote:
Sounds like a solid w/o you got going. Might have been a bad day too, what stance do u use? I progressed very fast while switching to sumo stance a while back.
I tried it in a two separate days, with same result. I use the "traditional" stance. I have a long arms and legs so sumo feels quite an akward for me. My build is far from ideal for bench and especially squat but I think that I could become quite a good in deadlift... Still there are some technique problems also that I try to correct.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:30 AM   #6
big_swede
Max Brawn

I hear you, im 64 (194 cm) myself, also with long limbs so i know what u mean.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:44 AM   #7
Lerho
Brawn

Quote:
I hear you, im 64 (194 cm) myself, also with long limbs so i know what u mean.
Huh!! Im just 186cm and its difficult. And looking your PR's, deadlift is also your best out of the big three. And its not easy to get a lot of muscle mass when having long limbs...
Old 05-31-2010, 06:50 PM   #8
cooltom
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

cooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributor

I'll echo what Big Swede said and suggest GMs in addition to rack pulls as good assistance exercises in general. (You guys were referring to rack pulls when you said "partial deadlifts," right?) Rack pulls will allow you to pull more weight than your standard and work on your lockout. I'm also partial to deficit deadlifts as an assistance exercise.

But, what I really want to says is that if you get the weight above the knees, it seems to me that the problem is upper back strength. You posted that you do rows as well. Are those DB or BB? I think working extra hard on rows can help bring the upper back up to par and help you lock out that weight.

I missed a deadlift at the same point in the movement you did and my solution is to make sure I continue follow my squats with GMs, my deads with deficit deadlifts and deadlift holds, but to really KILL my rows, either BB or DB, when I do them. I even got a pair of straps in order to really hit my back as much as possible on BB rows.

Follow my progress: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-powerful.html
cooltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:03 PM   #9
muscle_g
Max Brawn
Points: 7,814, Level: 59 Points: 7,814, Level: 59 Points: 7,814, Level: 59
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: lifting since 12yrs old
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squats, Bench, Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Vitamins/Minerals
muscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributor

If your failing right above the knees I would say you need to get your glutes and hamstrings stronger.

Best Lifts
625/450/500 Geared
405/315/475 Raw

Training log
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16621
muscle_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:31 AM   #10
Lerho
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltom View Post
I'll echo what Big Swede said and suggest GMs in addition to rack pulls as good assistance exercises in general. (You guys were referring to rack pulls when you said "partial deadlifts," right?) Rack pulls will allow you to pull more weight than your standard and work on your lockout. I'm also partial to deficit deadlifts as an assistance exercise.

But, what I really want to says is that if you get the weight above the knees, it seems to me that the problem is upper back strength. You posted that you do rows as well. Are those DB or BB? I think working extra hard on rows can help bring the upper back up to par and help you lock out that weight.

I missed a deadlift at the same point in the movement you did and my solution is to make sure I continue follow my squats with GMs, my deads with deficit deadlifts and deadlift holds, but to really KILL my rows, either BB or DB, when I do them. I even got a pair of straps in order to really hit my back as much as possible on BB rows.
It could be that... I think I have to concentrate more in support exercises for deadlift. I have to really think about my workout now. I need to get my weak points stronger and minimize "useless" exercises. I do barbell rows, yes, but not very intensively. Have to put more time on them and also do GMs, because that is an exercise that I have never done!

Back to the drawing board...