Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:21 AM   #1
Violent Volume
Brawn
Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Tournaments Won: 1

Violent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good posts
Default How to gain muscle and lose fat...

Here's how to gain muscle and lose fat...

You can't!

Dammit I am so pissed I must see this question 300 times a week by every noob with a computer who wants to look like Joe ****ing six pack.

Listen you can't do both unless you're a genetic freak. If you want to gain muscle that means you have to eat MORE! If you can figure out a way to eat more and not gain some fat, sweet mother of god tell us how! Because you would be the first ****wad in the history of the universe to crack this ancient riddle.

Stop trying to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. It aint happening! If I hear this question one more time I am going to hurl. I went to the store this morning for soem charcoal and the ****ing bag boy asked me, and then wanted to ****ing debate me about how it could be done.
Violent Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Agreed. Do one or the other, but not both.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I get this question 5 times a day as well. Here's my answer:

How To Gain Muscle And Lose Fat Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding and Powerlifting.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:29 AM   #4
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent Volume View Post
Here's how to gain muscle and lose fat...

You can't!

Dammit I am so pissed I must see this question 300 times a week by every noob with a computer who wants to look like Joe ****ing six pack.

Listen you can't do both unless you're a genetic freak. If you want to gain muscle that means you have to eat MORE! If you can figure out a way to eat more and not gain some fat, sweet mother of god tell us how! Because you would be the first ****wad in the history of the universe to crack this ancient riddle.

Stop trying to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. It aint happening! If I hear this question one more time I am going to hurl. I went to the store this morning for soem charcoal and the ****ing bag boy asked me, and then wanted to ****ing debate me about how it could be done.
Word.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
bas781
Brawn
Points: 689, Level: 13 Points: 689, Level: 13 Points: 689, Level: 13
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
bas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good posts

Agreed.

The only time firsthand I've ever seen this actually happen is when the individual in question is undereating and suddenly decides to up the calories with plenty of protein while lifting/working out. Then, and only then do they put on about 10-15 lbs. of just lean mass in about a month without increasing the bodyfat. So, it comes by virtue of a mistake in the first place.
bas781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:03 AM   #6
Donkeypuncher
New Brawn
Points: 1,905, Level: 26 Points: 1,905, Level: 26 Points: 1,905, Level: 26
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Donkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributor

So if I ate nothing but 500g of protein every day and added 300 lbs to my total in a year, would I get bigger or leaner?

Last edited by Donkeypuncher; 05-31-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Donkeypuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

2D Knock-Out Champion! Lost for Words - Football Teams Champion!
Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkeypuncher View Post
but anyone can gain muscle and lean out.
gonna really have to disagree with this one.....

if you are already some what lean there is no way you are gonna pack on solid muscle with a chicken, rice, and salad diet. i would believe that a noob who has never seen the weight pile before and is highly overweight can put on muscle while lowering BF% but only because they have no muscle to begin with. this will fail to work on someone who has trained for 6 mos. to a year has a low BF% and has already developed those first initial gains and is now looking to pack on the serious muscle. if you are saying you have trained for years and eat nothing but lean and are continually lowering your BF% and gaining pounds of muscle then sir you are the genetic freak that was mentioned before.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
So if I ate nothing but 500g of protein every day and added 300 lbs to my total in a year, would I get bigger or leaner?
I wouldn't recommend 500 grams of protein. That's a bit overkill unless you're training enhanced and on a big cycle.

Calories are the hidden factor in this equation. Many guys can't gain strength on calorie deficits, so if you are adding strength I assume you are eating plenty. How you train matters as well. Maybe you're only training the big 3 lifts, and are a beginner who is experiencing a big strength gain.

But if you're a normal intermediate who is adding strength, I'm guessing you're eating plenty of calories, training wisely, so I would guess you're gaining muscle and some minor fat.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-31-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:31 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
but anyone can gain muscle and lean out.
Some freaks can, but most can't.

Day in and day out I interview and talk with bodybuilders, and one of the standard questions I ask all of them (these last 2 weeks I've asked Team Scivation this very question) is...can you gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

The answer is always the same...no.

There are always freaky exceptions. But for the 98% you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:46 AM   #10
andys_trim
Max Brawn
Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift!
Fav Supp: Any I can afford.
andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

I know in my experience I have to answer questions of tons of high school kids my age because I am the only one who is dedicated to training and actually knows a thing or 2. Every time I tell them it is impossible to do both (they want to get the "beach body") they always show me their biceps and ask me why they look bigger then and that I am wrong. What a lot of beginners don't realize is that when you start training you will lose fat which in turn will make the muscle look bigger and more defined, when it really isn't. Try explaining this to kids that are only listening if you are talking about arms or a 6 pack. Go work out your legs!

That's my rant for the day.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
andys_trim is offline   Reply With Quote