Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:59 AM   #11
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

2D Knock-Out Champion! Lost for Words - Football Teams Champion!
Training Exp: 15 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_trim View Post
Go work out your legs!
ha.....that's awesome!!^^
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2010, 10:00 AM   #12
andys_trim
Max Brawn
Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift!
Fav Supp: Any I can afford.
andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

Have you ever tried to explain to a 17 year old kid that to truly look big you have to work out your legs not just your upper body? Almost impossible unless they are willing to listen. (They're not)

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
andys_trim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
Donkeypuncher
New Brawn
Points: 1,905, Level: 26 Points: 1,905, Level: 26 Points: 1,905, Level: 26
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Donkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributor

I'm glad there's a little dissention here, but I would like to pose the question: what role to carbs play in gaining muscle?
Old 05-31-2010, 12:49 PM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkeypuncher View Post
I'm glad there's a little dissention here, but I would like to pose the question: what role to carbs play in gaining muscle?
That's a great question. I used to think they were extremely vital, but now that I have looked at some of the old school eating approaches and the Paleo, I'm not sure grain-based carbs are all that essential. This is not a carved-in-stone opinion, but rather just me thinking things thorough...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:03 PM   #15
andys_trim
Max Brawn

andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

If carbs aren't essential for gaining muscle, then why must someone looking to bulk up eat so much food? I'm not disagreeing, I'm just asking a question because I don't know.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
Old 05-31-2010, 01:15 PM   #16
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

2D Knock-Out Champion! Lost for Words - Football Teams Champion!
Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

Carbohydrates and Bodybuilding | Muscle & Strength

it was a good question so i started to look into it more. there are many reasons why your muscles grow from protein levels, to insulin levels, to human growth hormone levels, to testosterone levels............and i'm sure a few more but you need all of these combined to really grow and carbs play a role in insulin levels and the usage of a fat metabolism for energy to spike human growth hormone levels. so it appears carbs and fat do help repair muscle faster from what i've looked up.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:17 PM   #17
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
If carbs aren't essential for gaining muscle, then why must someone looking to bulk up eat so much food? I'm not disagreeing, I'm just asking a question because I don't know.
Carbs definitely play a role. All macronutrients do. But one of the factors to consider is that heavy grain/carb use is a much more modern eating style. Many of the old school lifters relied more on meats, milk, fat, fruits and veggies. They weren't eating wild rice, rice, quinoa, lots of oatmeal, etc.

I'm not stepping out and saying carbs are evil. I'm also not saying they aren't needed for muscle gain. Far from it. I made most of my gains eating eggs, milk, Ramen noodles and Mac & Cheese.

What I am saying is that I don't believe you need to eat uber grains and avoid all fatty foods like whole milk, eggs, etc. The more I learn, the more it appears that heavy grain carbs contribute to fat gains and health issues.

My point was about grain-based carbs. I was not saying carbs aren't needed for muscle gain.

In our culture, fats are demonized are creating all kinds of health problems. The reality is that many grain-based carbs are responsible for health issues, and fat is not as evil as it appears. A book for you to read...

Amazon Amazon

Our culture is getting fat at the same time it runs from fatty foods and relies more on carbs. I am no expert on every aspect of this debate, but if I had it to do all over again I would rely less on grain-based carbs.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-31-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:21 PM   #18
andys_trim
Max Brawn

2 questions:

What do you mean by grain based carbs?

What role does testosterone play in building muscle?

Old 05-31-2010, 01:26 PM   #19
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
2 questions:

What do you mean by grain based carbs?

What role does testosterone play in building muscle?
Testosterone controls how much muscle you can gain naturally.

It's not really anything to worry about. You can do everything naturally under the sun to raise testosterone, and it will make little difference in how much muscle you gain. That is why steroids work so well...they artificially elevate testosterone levels, allowing the body to hold more muscle.

Grain-based carbs are carbs from grains - corn, wheat, quinoa, rice, rye, oats, barley, etc.

Fruits are not grain-based carbs.

Here's another good read:

Amazon Amazon

Understand, I am not preaching this as the gospel. But personally, the more I read, the more it does seem that the over-consumption of grains is causing numerous health-related problems. So personally, I try to eat more fruit and fewer grains.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-31-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:28 PM   #20
andys_trim
Max Brawn

I'm eating a lot of everything. Including a lot of brown rice and oatmeal. Should I hold off on that a little?

Also, that link didn't work