Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast
Default Thoughts of a first time Natural Bodybuilder

Yesterday was the culmination of an extremely long journey for myself. A life long dream was achieved and i got on stage to put myself on display up against others in a competition known simply as BODYBUILDING. Now for anyone interested in gettin on stage themselves i will share with you some of my thoughts and feelings of maybe what to expect and how hard you must be driven to prepare if you want to succeed. I am by no means an expert on the subject but nobody is in their first show so maybe some of my thoughts could be helpful in gettin you to the stage for the first time also.

First off i will start at the beginning a little and say that this was a dream of mine when i was younger i just never thought i was big enuff or ripped enuff or whatever and i let my doubts hold me back. Well then life happened and i got married and had kids and my wife and i wanted her to be a stay at home mother so i ended up working 60-70 hrs a week to pay the bills. Needless to say training fell to the way side. Around the age of 30 i noticed that my metabolism just didn't run quite as fast as it used to and over about a 1-2 yr span i put on close to 30lbs of chub. Goin from a average lookin 175 to about 205 with a double chin. Kids were older and life was simpler so i decided to start training a little to get back into shape a little. I started researching online a little and found different forums and what not which eventually led me to MAB! Now i had goals of strength in mind and not much concern for fat loss but then the idea of online body transformations came up and i was all for it. I figured i could win that. Got me thinkin though why not take it all the way and get my scared little behind up on stage with some real competition like i always wanted to. And this time there was nothing that was gonna hold me back.

Over three months of preperation led me to yesterday. Diet, training, cardio, tanning, supplements...........list goes on. The preperation for such an event can be overwhelming. You better get your head strong before you try to get your body strong for this because it can break you down at times. Now i did get a trainer to set me up with a diet plan and set me in a different direction workout wise but they can't put the work in for you. It has to be you who is determined enuff to achieve this goal after all its not the trainers goal its yours. I personally never wanted to give up and feel that if you do come to that opinion you should cause this type of competition just ain't for you. I trained as hard as i felt i could and stuck to the diet plan 99% of the time. This is where it starts. The dedication you show on the diet will motivate you to show the same dedication in the gym with your training.

Now on to the show.......

Backstage for the first time you start to get mentally aware of just how strong your competition will be. Guy's start gettin ready and poppin shirts off and you start lookin around for the guy's that will be in your class and even though you shouldn't you start to size em up. "...am i bigger than that guy......am i as shredded as that guy.....???" You can't help but question that in your own head but you have to try to forget it. If will only make you more nervous and that will lead to your downfall. Now don't think you can half ass any one of your workouts and intend to win cause as you will see if you do this there will be some big a$$ ripped up dudes that will be on stage with you and good prep could get you the victory. Sit back stage and relax and get your meals in and kick your feet up. Just simply wait for your group and then go rock it! I personally went with a spray tan to simplify things too which was a $100 bucks but these people spray you three times then glaze you before you hit the stage. No need for screwin up a pro tan or over glazing so you look like a rolled in crisco.(and yes i saw that being used) Make sure to get your pump up in. Don't start too soon and wear yourself out but don't miss the oppurtunity either. I seen it happen.

Onstage is something that no one can prepare you for. You walk out under the lights and there's a panel of ten judges just waiting to see you in a speedo. Oh and not to mention the hundreds in the crowd. Just focus and listen is all you need to do. The head judge says everything loud and clear of what pose you need to hit and then counts 1........2.....and by two you need to hit it!! If you're a little late don't sweat it. Not that big of a deal i know i was more focused on hitting the poses then worried about hitting it on the 2 and it worked out ok for me. Now this is where the most prep fails i believe. You need to practice-practice-practice-practice-practice your posing until you could do it in your sleep. They will make you hold poses way longer than you think they will. If you think workouts are tough give this a shot one time and tell which you think is harder. I walked away with more muscle soreness and exhaustion from prejudging than any workout i ever did. The front relaxed is nothing of what the name says. You are not even close to relaxed and you will be in this pose for almost 60secs when you first hit the stage. Be prepared on this one cause it will wear you out. Prejudging is when they decide the winner so this is where you really need to shine. Later in your individual routine its just to please the crowd so have some fun with it.

Overall i had an amazing time and got to meet some great people including the MAB family including Steve and his wife, Rich and his wife, and Chuck(big val) and his wife and kids who gave us a gun show by the pool. Hung out back stage with some guy's that i'm sure i will see at future shows and really just tried to make the most of the experience. I did place second in my class which for me was disappointing cause i really thought i had it but i will just have to get hard at it and take the next one. I'll see what the judges had to say and work on it. Now i know people will say i should be happy with second for my first show but i would have rather have been blown away by overwhelming competition than to be that close to winning and have it taken away and second guess what minor thing i could have done differently and taken the win. I guess thats just the extreme competitor in me. But the reality is you need that drive if you want to win in this sport. It does have a side of arrogance and ego. I mean lets be serious we are developing our bodies for others to look at. Trying to be the best is what will help you do well up on that stage. Doing it half a$$ed will get you a half a$$ed placing.

Thank you to the entire MAB family for the continued support and one giant thank you to Steve "BTB" Shaw who has driven and inspired me more than i think he will ever know.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
nighttrain
Max Brawn
Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 20+
nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast

excellent write up
Old 05-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

good stuff, and thanks for the write up, nice work
Old 05-23-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
andys_trim
Max Brawn
Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift!
Fav Supp: Any I can afford.
andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

Congratulations on an awesome finish! All of that hard work sure paid off. I hope I can have a similar experience at my first show in October!

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
andys_trim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

congrats and nice write up J... NOW you need to
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 05-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
rippednmichigan
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn
Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: EFX K-Otic Orange Ambush
rippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beast

Good stuff J, very proud of you man.
User owns 3x $30 I\'ll Pump You Up cash User owns 1x $20 I\'ll Pump You Up cash

Pure-Potent-Drug Free

http://allamericanefx.com/

Certified Personal Trainer
Training and Nutrition at
www.flexfitnessandnutrition.com

"Take control and push your limits!"
rippednmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I read this driving home on my cell and got choked up. I know I told you this a couple of times but to see you follow through on this journey was a great thing. It's all about hard work and dedication and you defined all those things the last 4 months. I am recharged and ready to continue on my journey because of what you (and Rich) accomplished.

It means the world to me any time I can impact anyone's life for the positive. So thanks for the kind words. You inspire me right back. You were a beast! And by the way, your back was crazy!

Talked to the wife and we would like to come up again late June to hang and bang with the Minnesota crew, so let me know what weekend is good for you.

Congrats again! And can I use this write-up as an article for M&S with your videos?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Really good reading J! I havent been on MAB for so long but what ive seen you have been doing a great job and things like this really motivates me. And once again, congratulations!
Old 05-23-2010, 06:22 PM   #9
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

sure thing steve go ahead and use it how ever you like.

thanks again to everyone! seriously!
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Thanks! Working on the videos right now.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote