Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:45 AM   #21
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
mix things up in rep range and exercises, and usually worked out just about every day for a couple of hours. And ate lots
I think you hit the nail on the head with that
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2010, 06:46 AM   #22
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRaWNy View Post

My opinion is to go with sarcomeric hypertrophy primary, low reps but more total reps, and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy will come in a way in addition to sarcomeric hypertrophy, as a somehow byproduct.
Good post Brawny. I had just read this elsewhere yesterday but I can't think of where I read it.

Edit...I read it in John Christy's book.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #23
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn

Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Great answers here. Thanks guys.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #24
styrkecoach
Brawn
Points: 1,557, Level: 22 Points: 1,557, Level: 22 Points: 1,557, Level: 22
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

styrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good posts

just thinking out loud here.

i have a theory, not yet proven.
"already lost some guys attention"

if you look past rep range,
of course its a big different from singles to 15reps.

but i belive that it is the total volume that matters the most.

if you do:
3x8, you'l get 24reps total.
5x5, you'l get 25reps total.

5x5 is good for size and strength because the rep range is low enough, but the volume is as high as a typical BB set.

you se powerlifters training 8x3, getting crazy strong and even putting on size.

yeah variations is the key in all training.

but even if you work out at a low rep range, as long as the totalt volume is big enough per exercise 20-30r, you'l get bigger. as long as you dont burn out the CNS

just a theory... any thought?
styrkecoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:15 AM   #25
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

I'm a firm believer that enough high rep sets will increase stength quite a bit. I've been cycling between GVT-style and 5x5 style for just over a year and not single PR from last year exists anymore. I have nearly doubled all of them. Right now, I'm doing a mix of GVT and 5x5s, and my chest is destroyed every other day. I'll post here what my new max is in a few weeks. But I'm pretty sure it will go up just as it has many time before since I started mixing the 2 styles.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:18 AM   #26
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by styrkecoach View Post
just a theory... any thought?
This is right up the Prilepin avenue.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/pow...ins-table.html

I tend to agree, especially for naturals. I look at it as total volume per week. Lifter A does 5x8 for 40 total reps on squats once per week. Lifter B does 4x5 twice a week for 20 reps.

The hidden variable is weight. To flesh this out more a bit, I believe a good snapshot is:

Reps X Sets X Weight = Volume

In the above example, Lifter B is performing the same weekly reps, but is lifting a heavier weight. So, what this basically hints at is that if you want to train with lower reps you have to keep an eye on total volume.

With the Prilepin table, we see that as weight goes up, reps come down.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #27
styrkecoach
Brawn

styrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good posts

funny...of course there is a russian dude who thought of this 40years before me:P

damn good read btw!

question;
if i did 5set bench press, whitout a spotter
176lbx4r
187lbx4r
192.5lbx3sx4r
(actually my last workout)
was afraid to go any higher without a spotter.

what % of 1RM am i working in, the last rep in the last set being slow.
havent tested my max for about 3months, are going in to the last weeks of the program and curious about how much i might have gained
Old 05-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #28
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by styrkecoach View Post
funny...of course there is a russian dude who thought of this 40years before me:P

damn good read btw!

question;
if i did 5set bench press, whitout a spotter
176lbx4r
187lbx4r
192.5lbx3sx4r
(actually my last workout)
was afraid to go any higher without a spotter.

what % of 1RM am i working in, the last rep in the last set being slow.
havent tested my max for about 3months, are going in to the last weeks of the program and curious about how much i might have gained
In the tools section:

Tools - Muscle and Brawn - Bodybuilding and Powerlifting

...there is a one rep max calculator:

One Rep Max Calculator - Muscle and Brawn - Bodybuilding and Powerlifting

Using that I would say you are working in the 80 to 85% range. For one set of 4 reps, you would be at 89% of 1RM. But because you can do multiple reps, I am guessing your 1RM is higher and that you are actually training more around 80% of 1RM.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #29
styrkecoach
Brawn

yeah was unsure because of the multiple sets,
having to bench workouts next week.
will be doing 5sx3r with a flat pyramid on tuesday,
and 5sx3r working my way up to the last top set.
will be interesting to se what i perform.

and the week after that i will try some 1rm...'then program ends.
PR here i come
Old 05-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #30
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn

So, Jamie Lewis (Chaos & Pain) answered this pretty well on another board:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosandmother****ingPAIN
Zatsiosky recommends sets of 4-9 for the best metabolic change for protein synthesis, and suggests that it's best for a combo of strength and size. I prefer singles with VERY short rests to get the same effect. I doubt any of this is helping the OP, however, hahaha, as he would have no idea who Zatsiorsky is, or what myofibrillar or sarcoplasmic hypertrophy are, haha.

Is 300 an impressive bench?