Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Clean or dirty bulk, losing fat/getting harder during bulk, possible? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3254)

big_swede 05-13-2010 03:21 PM

Clean or dirty bulk, losing fat/getting harder during bulk, possible?

Im wanna get a little bit harder, and lose a litte fat or waterweight, (as u se on my avatar, its not much, its a week old picture), im currently at kcal maintenance+ diet, doing a 4split based around bench, dead, squat, ohpress and i eat quite a lot.
Typical day looks like this:

07-07.30 wakeup. protein shake, 50gr multivitamines, omega 3 2000mg 2 sandwiches with ham, coffe
10.00 yogurt 0.3l, oats 70-100gr, fruit like banan or apple
12.00 lunchbreak, pasta, rice or potatoes about 2-300gr, meat, chicken or fish 4-500gr, veggies or salad, sauce (often made with wholecream) and wholemilk
15.30-16.00 Snack, fruit and/or sandwich with ham or turkey
18.00 dinner, Omega 3 1000mg pasta, rice or potatoes about 2-300 gr, chicken fish or meat, salad or veggies, sauce as above, wholemilk.
Creatine 5g
19.00-20.30 Workout (4days a week)
21.00 post w/o whey drink, carbs 50-60gr, banana.
before bed, 22.30-23.30, eating leftovers from lunch or dinner, about half size of main meals on this occasion, or yogurt or whey/casein drink. B1 vitamins 200mg, E vitamins 800iu and for the moment nolvedex XT 3 caps

Gaining weight and strenth on this diet, and recovers fast too.
I dont really know what to cut down on, fat or carbs or both? Skip one or more meals and eat more on another? Skip fat and carbs totaly in the evenings? (after 6 oclock?) and if i do that, what about post w/o meal?

What about supplements like cla and ala? Only for cutting and does it work or waste of mony? Im sceptical to supplements in general.

Would really appreciate some help on this matter!

Cheers! :chow:

BendtheBar 05-13-2010 03:41 PM

I'm no expert on dieting, but I think a more Paleo style of diet might benefit you. This would primarily mean dropping or minimizing gains. You could also try a cyclical approach to bulking and cutting - 2 weeks bulk, 2 weeks cut...

With that said...It's darn hard to lose fat and gain muscle, especially if you're not a beginner.

big_swede 05-13-2010 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 55977)
I'm no expert on dieting, but I think a more Paleo style of diet might benefit you. This would primarily mean dropping or minimizing gains. You could also try a cyclical approach to bulking and cutting - 2 weeks bulk, 2 weeks cut...

With that said...It's darn hard to lose fat and gain muscle, especially if you're not a beginner.

Im well aware of the lose fat/gain muscle principle and im just looking to make my bulk a bit cleaner. Im confused about the carb/fat ratio in % to protein but i guess that depends on your genetics and body composition.
I looked in to the paleo diet you mentioned and got some tips from it, thanks man!

BendtheBar 05-13-2010 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_swede (Post 55994)
Im well aware of the lose fat/gain muscle principle and im just looking to make my bulk a bit cleaner. Im confused about the carb/fat ratio in % to protein but i guess that depends on your genetics and body composition.
I looked in to the paleo diet you mentioned and got some tips from it, thanks man!

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help. I wasn't sure if you knew about gain muscle and losing fat so I wanted to bring it up.

Most bodybuilding diets, because of their nature (obviously) are high protein. And most keep a minimal fat intake (maybe around 20% minimum). So the way I see it the only real variables are add protein and drop carbs, but here is where the ratios get tricky :)

ricka182 05-13-2010 07:39 PM

If you can deal with cutting your carbs down, I'd say give Keto a shot. I did Keto for 6 weeks last year, and lost a lot of waterweight, and tightened up quite a bit.. I only stopped so I could drink more beer...not the best reason..

Google "The Ketogenic Diet" by Lyle McDonald... long, but good read with diet advice, workout plans, and a bunch more good stuff...