Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Myth? Building The Upper and Inner Chest

Is it a myth, or can you build up your upper and inner chest thickness with specific exercises?

What say you?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
Maiar
Brawn
Points: 1,067, Level: 17 Points: 1,067, Level: 17 Points: 1,067, Level: 17
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Maiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality posts

I certainly hope so because those are my weak areas
Maiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
HITman_mark71
HIT Jedi
New Brawn
Points: 4,995, Level: 45 Points: 4,995, Level: 45 Points: 4,995, Level: 45

HITman_mark71 is off to a bad start

When I do incline presses I can feel my upper chest more engaged.
HITman_mark71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
BRaWNy
Pain Master
Max Brawn
Points: 3,850, Level: 39 Points: 3,850, Level: 39 Points: 3,850, Level: 39

Training Exp: ~23 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Back Squat
Fav Supp: Fish-oils
BRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributor

Its up to genes for the shape of muscles.

Also, the muscle fibers/heads of the chest, are going from the shoulder joint to clavicle and sternum etc, in a someway horizontal line if you know what I mean, so there can't be contracted the one edge of the fibers, for example the fibers near sternum or clavicle ("inner" chest) and the others near shoulder joint ("outer" chest), stay inactive.

With specific exercises and angles, you just emphasize areas (for our example upper chest, not inner or outer), and not isolate them from the whole muscle group.
Also its important to use angles, not so only for emphasizing, but to work the body and the strengths of it, in all planes (superior vertical like overhead pressing/vertical pull ups, incline like incline pressing/angled pull ups, horizontal like flat bench/horizontal row, decline like decline pressing/45 degree row and inferior vertical like dips/upright row for example)

Thats what I believe and my opinion.

So for me its a myth for the inner or outer chest thickness (there is no inner/outer heads for chest, just clavicular, sternal etc or if you want, upper, medial, lower), but not exactly myth for emphasizing particular heads of a muscle.
BRaWNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRaWNy View Post
Its up to genes for the shape of muscles.

Also, the muscle fibers/heads of the chest, are going from the shoulder joint to clavicle and sternum etc, in a someway horizontal line if you know what I mean, so there can't be contracted the one edge of the fibers, for example the fibers near sternum or clavicle ("inner" chest) and the others near shoulder joint ("outer" chest), stay inactive.

With specific exercises and angles, you just emphasize areas (for our example upper chest, not inner or outer), and not isolate them from the whole muscle group.
Also its important to use angles, not so only for emphasizing, but to work the body and the strengths of it, in all planes (superior vertical like overhead pressing/vertical pull ups, incline like incline pressing/angled pull ups, horizontal like flat bench/horizontal row, decline like decline pressing/45 degree row and inferior vertical like dips/upright row for example)

Thats what I believe and my opinion.

So for me its a myth for the inner or outer chest thickness (there is no inner/outer heads for chest, just clavicular, sternal etc or if you want, upper, medial, lower), but not exactly myth for emphasizing particular heads of a muscle.
this.
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 05-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

One day I hope to see my inner and upper pecs to find out

In the mean time I do exercises to cover all the bases.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #7
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

i believe it to be true fo sho. i can tell by where it hurts in the DOMS from different exercises that it does. if i don't do incline my upper chest is not sore but if i do especially with dumbbells i will feel it in two days guaranteed. i also believe the more you emphasize the squeeze on the muscle at the top of the movement of DB presses the more you will develope that ripped look in the inner portion of the chest........there's my thoughts.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:32 AM   #8
onetiredkris
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

Brawny has a good point about the inner and outer. But i can visually tell when i have finished my flys, my mid chest has that fiber look to it and much more pumped than not having done them.

Upper and lower forsure can be targeted. I used to only perform flat and decline benching, after cutting declines for incline i noticed a big difference in bringing up my upper chest. Especially when the inclines are dumbbells

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote