Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   How advanced trainer... (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3226)

Lerho 05-11-2010 06:11 AM

How advanced trainer...
 
... you should be to train with this program?


Tuesday:
Squat
Deadlift
Abs

Wednesday:
Arms

Friday:
Bench
Weighted chins, 3x6-12
Weighted dips, 3x6-12
Military press, 3x6-12
Row, 3x6-12

Sunday:
Arms
Abs
"support exercises" (side bends, shrughs etc.)

In that program Bench, Squat and Deadlift will be done like this:


Week sets x reps x load ( % )
1 5x5x70
2 5x70, 5x72,5, 5x75, 5x72,5, 5x70
3 6x5x70
4 5x70, 75, 80, 75, 70
5 7x5x70
6 4x3x75 4x2x85
7 3x4x75 6x4x80
8 4x3x75 3x2x90
9 3x4x75 6x4x80
10 2x3x75 2x2x95
11 test your max

My training partner will begin this program in next August. He wants me to do it also but I refused. I think its too "heavy" and to really get most out of it you should be quite an advanced trainer with good strength levels and great ability to recover. Am I right or is this doable for most people?

Im personally thinking about training this way in next August:

Tuesday:
Squat 5x3-5
Bench 5x3-5
Deadlift 5x3-5
Standing overhead press 3x5-8
Barbell row 3x5-8

Friday:
Chins 2x5-8
Squat 3x8-12
Bench 3x8-12
Straight leg deadlift 3x8-12
Dips 3x8-12

Only training two times a week. I think this is still a tough workout(specially for lower back), but with a plenty of recovery and good nutrition I will manage to do it.

Opinions?

jslep 05-11-2010 06:30 AM

i like the above program and don't believe that if you have some experience in the gym and have your form down on each exercise that it is out of reach for anyone.

Lerho 05-11-2010 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jslep (Post 55404)
i like the above program and don't believe that if you have some experience in the gym and have your form down on each exercise that it is out of reach for anyone.

How you define "some experience"? I have trained 13 months now... Well, at least my friend have better strength and recovery-levels than me so he is a good guinea pig. :) If it works for him, it might be worth to try. It would made things much simpler of course, if we were to do a same program like we have been done till now. So maybe I will give it a go also.

big_swede 05-11-2010 07:01 AM

Personaly i think two days a week is not enough even if you push it hard on those days, and i think the above program sounds alright. If u feel the recovery is not optimal skip the sunday arm/ab support day to get some extra rest

BendtheBar 05-11-2010 07:06 AM

It looks like a decent approach. A little too much arm work for my taste,

This routine:

Tuesday:
Squat 5x3-5
Bench 5x3-5
Deadlift 5x3-5
Standing overhead press 3x5-8
Barbell row 3x5-8

Friday:
Chins 2x5-8
Squat 3x8-12
Bench 3x8-12
Straight leg deadlift 3x8-12
Dips 3x8-12

...looks good. It's not too much different from what John Christy advocates:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/pow....html#post7631

I like the second routine better then the first. I've never found that my arms get big from too much direct arm work as opposed to just hitting the big exercises and adding some curls.

Lerho 05-11-2010 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_swede (Post 55408)
Personaly i think two days a week is not enough even if you push it hard on those days, and i think the above program sounds alright. If u feel the recovery is not optimal skip the sunday arm/ab support day to get some extra rest


Well, we think differently then. But it is not a surprise because you are swede and Im a finn... :cheers:

nighttrain 05-11-2010 07:14 AM

^^^ i agree with Swede,, and like he said if you are having a hard time recovery you can always drop the 2nd arm workout of the week.... i really dont think yu need two arm workouts anyways... but to each thier own

Lerho 05-11-2010 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 55410)
It looks like a decent approach. A little too much arm work for my taste,

This routine:

Tuesday:
Squat 5x3-5
Bench 5x3-5
Deadlift 5x3-5
Standing overhead press 3x5-8
Barbell row 3x5-8

Friday:
Chins 2x5-8
Squat 3x8-12
Bench 3x8-12
Straight leg deadlift 3x8-12
Dips 3x8-12

...looks good. It's not too much different from what John Christy advocates:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/pow....html#post7631

I like the second routine better then the first. I've never found that my arms get big from too much direct arm work as opposed to just hitting the big exercises and adding some curls.

Thank you! I really think that this second program would be quite optimal for me at the moment. After the summer Im really looking to get a good strength and muscle gains..and I thought that this program with enough rest and eating a lot quality food would give it to me.

My friend is a different case because he gets muscle and strength so easily and recovers very well. When we started 13 months ago, he deadlifted 110kg... now he is benching 140kg, squatting 170kg and deadlifting 220kg. He is an animal. :D And turning 40 this year!:confused:

BendtheBar 05-11-2010 07:37 AM

Recovery is such a key factor. It's never a bad idea to start with "more rest" and then train more if you need to.

big_swede 05-11-2010 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerho (Post 55413)
Well, we think differently then. But it is not a surprise because you are swede and Im a finn... :cheers:

Yes lehro that must be the case =):rockon:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.