Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Make a choice - 30 or 1? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3130)

BendtheBar 05-03-2010 01:07 PM

Make a choice - 30 or 1?

So I'm hammering out a bodybuilder profile, and I see this lifter does almost 30 sets per day on major bodyparts. He uses a pretty standard high volume approach.

So this got me to thinkin'...if I had to choose between doing one high intensity set per bodypart (set to failure, and all the post-failure trimmings I could handle)...or grinding out 30 sets per bodypart, which would I choose?

So my question to you is...if you have to choose, which workout would you do for muscle building...

A) One ball-busting HIT set per bodypart, with whatever high intensity tricks you want to add to that set (rest-pause, slow negatives, drop sets, whatever)

B) 30 grind 'em out mindless volume sets of moderate intensity.

Kpettitt 05-03-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 53227)
So I'm hammering out a bodybuilder profile, and I see this lifter does almost 30 sets per day on major bodyparts. He uses a pretty standard high volume approach.

So this got me to thinkin'...if I had to choose between doing one high intensity set per bodypart (set to failure, and all the post-failure trimmings I could handle)...or grinding out 30 sets per bodypart, which would I choose?

So my question to you is...if you have to choose, which workout would you do for muscle building...

A) One ball-busting HIT set per bodypart, with whatever high intensity tricks you want to add to that set (rest-pause, slow negatives, drop sets, whatever)

B) 30 grind 'em out mindless volume sets of moderate intensity.

A without a doubt. I would start to loose form on my reps if I did 30 of them per workout. I also like to challenge myself and think that going high intensity to faliure is more effective.

BendtheBar 05-03-2010 01:20 PM

I would go with A as well.

I could see doing one set to failure, maybe then drop sets, and maybe finish out with a lighter weight and slow negatives...or something insane like that.

If I had to muck out 30 sets per bodypart, I would have a hard time motivating myself to go to the gym.

ricka182 05-03-2010 01:34 PM

I'm in the middle, if I can be. Today for chest, I will do 6 or 7 sets of Flat Press, and another 6 or 7 on the Pec Deck..along with some nice slow pushups before and after...

I suppose if I had to pick, I would do 1 big set and use drop sets to get maximum volume out of it..

CallmeKing 05-03-2010 01:43 PM

hmmm. I perfer B I guess but, I like to think It's 30 high intensity reps.

Mombow111 05-03-2010 02:24 PM

Generally, A, B of course has its place and time but I'd prefer to be in and out and down. Whenever I do my rest-pause style training, I train to failure every set, I train until I'm absolutely sure that even if I rest for another minute I couldn't do a single rep. I couldn't imagine how long I'd spend in the gym if I had to do 30 sets but yet I still see results anyways.

Now in terms of other HIIT techniques, I really only prefer rest pause. I know if I do a drop set immediately I could get a pump, or I could literally kill the muscle with forced reps (via Demon Training). But this doesn't seem natural to me, I like to work out frequently on full body routines so I'd prefer to just stick to what my bodies capable of on it's own.

onetiredkris 05-03-2010 03:02 PM

they both sound terrible.

did this bodybuilder really admit to using moderate intensity?

15-20 sets till good failure is how i roll

glwanabe 05-03-2010 03:10 PM

I'd go with one all out set., utililizing a fullbody program 4-5 days a week.

I'd use a 1x30 scheme and stick only about 5-8 moves during the week.

Deads/ varient
Squats/ varient
Presses/ varient
BB Rows/varient
Benching/ varient
Calf raises

I could make it work.

BendtheBar 05-03-2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onetiredkris (Post 53268)
they both sound terrible.

did this bodybuilder really admit to using moderate intensity?

15-20 sets till good failure is how i roll

Here's his routine: (scroll down)

Roland "Junior" Seda Profile! Roland "Junior" Seda Pictures, Videos & Workouts | Muscle & Strength

It's heavy weight but not high intensity ala training to failure.

big valsalva 05-06-2010 11:33 PM

One snotty, fart producing set will be sufficient. If necessary, extend it with rest/pause, drops, assisted reps, negatives, or whatever. One set will work, if you do it right.