Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default My First Bodybuilding Show

Some things I wanted to share from my first bodybuilding show.

--6 packs and conditioning. A solid portion of the competitors...maybe 30%, had little to no visible abs. Another 30 to 40% had modestly visible abs. I learned It's not as easy to get a solid six pack. I also learned that conditioning is an art form, and few at the local level have mastered it. Don't get me wrong, they still looked great. It was merely an enlightening experience for me.

--Shredded wheat. Very few competitors were "shredded wheat." Rich Knapp was one of them. Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of ripped competitors - but few that were absolutely shredded.

--Variety of physiques. It was amazing to look at the different variety of physique on stage. Each looked different, men and women. I think I'm so used to looking at the cream of the crop that I get the impressive that all physiques are pretty much the same. it was fun watching the different types of physiques compete against each other.

--Female classes. There were too many female classes. In many of the classes you had the same 3 to 4 women competing head to head. Female bodybuilding open, 40+, 50+, etc. I could have lived with an open and a 40+. And figure takes forever, but there is some damn tough competition. It appears that female bodybuilding is on life support, and that figure and fitbody are now the best of the best. At least for natural women.

Finally. Finally, I learned that just about any of us with a modest degree of muscle could compete. You won't look like an idiot. There were all different shapes and sizes. A couple of the guys had slight man-boobs. If you can get in reasonable condition and have at least some muscle, you can compete.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
--Variety of physiques. It was amazing to look at the different variety of physique on stage. Each looked different, men and women. I think I'm so used to looking at the cream of the crop that I get the impressive that all physiques are pretty much the same. it was fun watching the different types of physiques compete against each other.
This was not unusual before the advent of chemical enhancement even at a top level. In words of George Eifferman, back in 50s, you could distinguish between Reeves or Grimek or Parks or Delinger a mile away from their physiques.
kitarpyar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
This was not unusual before the advent of chemical enhancement even at a top level. In words of George Eifferman, back in 50s, you could distinguish between Reeves or Grimek or Parks or Delinger a mile away from their physiques.
It was sort of that feeling. The teen and bantamweight classes had some great mass and competition.

Some guys had amazing backs, and other amazing quads. And of course, some had stick legs. There was a black competitor with a simply beautiful upper body. Great lines...perfect, classic physique. But his lower body was horrendous.

Really shows you the genetic spectrum.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

^^ hey some guy's can't help it they have stick legs............

you know i hope the experience really motivates you to get on stage steve! it would be awesome if we one day competed in a masters against one another. i would be honored. hope you enjoy the minnesota show as much when you come.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post
^^ hey some guy's can't help it they have stick legs............

you know i hope the experience really motivates you to get on stage steve! it would be awesome if we one day competed in a masters against one another. i would be honored. hope you enjoy the minnesota show as much when you come.
I will enjoy it. I just need to get a better video camera to handle dark environments so I can get decent footage.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Sounds like the strongman/power lifting powerbuilding hybrid competitions of 15% BODYFAT and lower is feasible to pose off hair and all. Steve, Max and Me can take 1st place in our respective weight divisions for the man offs LOL.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
Sounds like the strongman/power lifting powerbuilding hybrid competitions of 15% BODYFAT and lower is feasible to pose off hair and all. Steve, Max and Me can take 1st place in our respective weight divisions for the man offs LOL.
Works for me.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
hey maybe i could even get in on that one lol.
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
Donkeyballs
Brawn
Points: 726, Level: 14 Points: 726, Level: 14 Points: 726, Level: 14
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Donkeyballs has made some very good postsDonkeyballs has made some very good postsDonkeyballs has made some very good postsDonkeyballs has made some very good postsDonkeyballs has made some very good postsDonkeyballs has made some very good postsDonkeyballs has made some very good postsDonkeyballs has made some very good postsDonkeyballs has made some very good postsDonkeyballs has made some very good postsDonkeyballs has made some very good posts

You take any pics to go with the commentary?
Old 04-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkeyballs View Post
You take any pics to go with the commentary?
About 200 pics and tons of video. I have to clean up the dark pictures, but here's one. It's from the bantamweights, which were really strong.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wi-bbing-1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	1239