Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Is the deadlift necessary for a big back? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3017)

thumpinos 04-24-2010 08:21 AM

Is the deadlift necessary for a big back?

Is the deadlift necessary for a big back? Or can bodybuilders ignore the deadlift completely and build a big back?

glwanabe 04-24-2010 09:32 AM

Can you ignore it, yes.
You can ignore a lot of moves, but I wouldn't really advise you to. Compounds are hard to do, to be sure. But you get so much from them that you actually expend less energy in the long run to the gain you receive.

Think about all the moves that you would need to do if you dropped doing deads. Granted, the deadlift does tax your CNS to a high degree. Just work around this issue by training smart. Use the correct intensity and frequency.

You do not have to leave your manhood on the gym floor and use max poundage everytime you deadlift. 3x5 once a week is plenty, but you may want a little more volume such as a 5x5.

jslep 04-24-2010 10:38 AM

agreed

most people think they have to do heavy deads or just not do them at all. which usually goes with all compounds. people will avoid bench and squats also and hit iso machines like mad because they feel lifting compounds means you have to go heavy and they give that "i don't want to look huge and bulky" excuse.

glwanabe 04-24-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jslep (Post 50854)
most people think they have to do heavy deads or just not do them at all. which usually goes with all compounds. people will avoid bench and squats also and hit iso machines like mad because they feel lifting compounds means you have to go heavy and they give that "i don't want to look huge and bulky" excuse.

Agreed!

Mombow111 04-24-2010 11:28 AM

Well there are always clean, high pulls, and goodmornings - some of these might or might not be better options if your back is easily compromised. Dead lifts however, if your a natural are probably one of the best things you can do for muscle gain.

DieselWeasel 04-24-2010 11:50 AM

Why in the world would you NOT want to do the deadlift?? :confused:

glwanabe 04-24-2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselWeasel (Post 50862)
Why in the world would you NOT want to do the deadlift?? :confused:

Some people like a little less work in their workout. Not saying it's right, it's just the way it is.

CallmeKing 04-24-2010 11:58 AM

Not necessary but no other lift is going to build your spinal erectors like deadlift. Also it engages so many muscle groups why would you not want to use it? You're doing heavy back, forearm, trap, and leg work at the same time.

DieselWeasel 04-24-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glwanabe (Post 50865)
Some people like a little less work in their workout. Not saying it's right, it's just the way it is.

I couldn't see myself going to the gym if I wasn't pulling on a regular basis.

CoopDawg 04-24-2010 01:01 PM

WHY? there's no easy road through the goals you want deadlift is a big part of building muscle deadlift+squat=beastly gains. compounds with simplicity is key.