Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default BTB's Lifting Truth-o-meter

I thought I would share my rule for dealing with training knowledge.

If a claim is made that such-and-such is required/necessary/maximal for growth/strength, yet there are 2 bajillion lifters who made gains without using this principle/item/technique/supplement, then it's not necessary at all. It might be a valid approach, but it's not needed.

For example...

"10 seconds negatives are the golden key to amazing muscle gains!"

...yet 50 batrillion lifters who are massive and strong have never used slow negatives.

Therefore, it may be a valid approach, but it is not a needed approach.

Another example....

"Getting stronger is required for muscle growth."

Do you know of any massive, muscular lifters who only bench 180? I don't. In fact, I don't know any that bench under 280.

I think it's safe to say that most every massive bodybuilder, natural or not, has a relatively impressive amount of strength.

Therefore, this is a valid statement because all of our 2 bajillion lifters are strong.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

So, let us begin...

Creatine necessary?

No.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Mentzer's Heavy Duty...

No.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Heavy compound lifts....

Yes.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn
Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

Heyyy...I like my 10-second negatives on hammies from time to time It's great for a burn-out!! But not necessary, you're right.
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezingstardust View Post
Heyyy...I like my 10-second negatives on hammies from time to time It's great for a burn-out!! But not necessary, you're right.
Yah, this rule is more for protecting people against "you must" statements. Part of the fun of lifting is personalizing training to your likes and needs. We all do a lot of things that aren't needed per se. But this methods DO provide results.

And obviously some methods are better then other for most people - Westside being one of the best systems for powerlifters - but to say that Westside is required for strength gains would be a false statement. There are plenty of strong non-Westside lifters.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
Shaolinkiwi
Ground Zero Training
Max Brawn
Points: 3,328, Level: 35 Points: 3,328, Level: 35 Points: 3,328, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Shaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributor

Protein shakes

.......?

I'd like to think they are recommend but with a high protein diet, probably not necessary.

T-Alpha Log - CURRENT
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sup...alpha-log.html

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me 1500+! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!
Shaolinkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolinkiwi View Post
Protein shakes

.......?

I'd like to think they are recommend but with a high protein diet, probably not necessary.
I would say not necessary, but they sure are darn convenient and save me $$$.

But to say they are needed for growth...I would say no.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
Shaolinkiwi
Ground Zero Training
Max Brawn
Points: 3,328, Level: 35 Points: 3,328, Level: 35 Points: 3,328, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Shaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I would say not necessary, but they sure are darn convenient and save me $$$.

But to say they are needed for growth...I would say no.
Agree - It's all about convenience. I'm not going to spend all my time in the kitchen making protein sandwiches

Also the same with

Multi Vitamins

T-Alpha Log - CURRENT
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sup...alpha-log.html

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me 1500+! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!
Shaolinkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
Donkeypuncher
New Brawn
Points: 1,905, Level: 26 Points: 1,905, Level: 26 Points: 1,905, Level: 26
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Donkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributor

Cardio

No. Now where's the worm-can opener?