Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:17 AM   #1
maokoto
New Brawn

maokoto is off to a bad start
Default Front squats & training at home

I have been training at home for around 4 years and am very happy with the progress. I can bench more than my bodyweight with dumbells for reps, Romanian deadlift with 1,5x Bodyweight for reps...all fine.

However I am lacking a bit at leg development. I have no space for a squat rack on my home gym, what I do right now is to power-clean the bar (with horrible technique) and do olympic-style front squats.

The problem is the weight I can clean limits the weight I can squat (right now I am front squatting around 95% of my bodyweight for 6 reps). I like to train with relatively low reps (5-8) and the idea of doing long series of squats doesnīt appeal to me. Also I am powercleaning near my maximum to get the bar up, wich is difficult and unsafe when it is the last set of squats and my legs are sore...

I have tried lunges, with not much results. Even hack squats with barbell, but i feel too awkward doing them.

Any other sugerences? (apart from joining a gym or buying a squat rack)
Old 07-14-2009, 05:31 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Have you tried barbell hack squats? Sort of like a deadlift with the bar behind your legs. Sometimes you have to put plates under your heels, or set the weight of the barbell up on a plate to get the bar into a good position, but they seem like a solid exercise.

I would also try dumbbell squats and/or dumbbell box squats. Because you can't go ultra-heavy, I would start limiting the rest between sets to get the intensity up. Say, do 8-10 dumbell squats, rest 60-90 seconds, do another. That sort of thing.

Sumo deadlifts are also very good for the legs.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:14 AM   #3
maokoto
New Brawn

Yes I tried the hacks....but they felt very strange and I tended to sort of...deadlift the weight.

I have just read that the duck style snatch grip deadlift is a great quad builder.

I think I am going to try it, and the sumo too. Thanks!!
Old 07-14-2009, 06:47 AM   #4
maokoto
New Brawn

Iīve just found another alternative that looks great. Think I would try:

Jefferson squats:

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/exerc...rsonsquats.htm
Old 07-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

The jefferson sounds interesting. I wish I had the spare cash for a trap bar. I would love to see what trap bar squats dofor quad development.

And regarding the hacks...I wonder what percentage of lifters can actually perform them without the movement feeling odd. I would wager it's a low percentage.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I was thinking about the jefferson squats and wondering if there is a tendency with the body to twist when lifting due to the deadlift style grip. If you try them, let me know.

Have you ever thought about getting a dragging sled for leg workouts?

I also thought how intense pushing a car would be for the legs Not very practical, but would be fun to play with.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:29 AM   #7
maokoto
New Brawn

Hi

I tried the jeffersons, but they feel very very awkward. My body bent forward as I tried the lift, it is uncomfortable and I think I will not use them.

Also tried the duck style deadlift. It went much better, I could feel the work in my quads, though I felt strange (but not stranger than when I first tried front squats ) I think I will give it a 1 to 2 months try at least.

Not tried to drag a sled, because I donīt have the space. 2 weeks ago I had to push a car, and yes , you can feel it !!!. Would be a good workout to push-park the car into the garage everyday after coming back from work LOL
Old 07-16-2009, 05:29 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Keep me posted on the duck style deads.

Any room for a sumo squat rack in your apartment/house?

Old 07-18-2009, 06:08 PM   #9
maokoto
New Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
Keep me posted on the duck style deads.

Any room for a sumo squat rack in your apartment/house?
nop, no rack . But one can do the sumos directly from the world.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I have a very low ceiling basement, so I couldn't put in a full squat rack. This is the "sumo" squat rack I have...I thought maybe you might have room for it.