Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
Violent Volume
Brawn
Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Tournaments Won: 1

Violent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good posts
Default Training voluem and frequency

Someone send me a mesage and asked me to comment on chaos and pain.I decided to do this out in the open. I looked at his site and blog and all that happy horse**** and it looks GTG. The one thing I do want to say is to the newb.

Newb, you just don't start out training like me or James Lewis from day one. I was training for 10 years learning from injuries yada yada yada. You don't train for a marathon by starting out running marathons.

Word.
Violent Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Excellant point.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent Volume View Post
Someone send me a mesage and asked me to comment on chaos and pain.I decided to do this out in the open. I looked at his site and blog and all that happy horse**** and it looks GTG. The one thing I do want to say is to the newb.

Newb, you just don't start out training like me or James Lewis from day one. I was training for 10 years learning from injuries yada yada yada. You don't train for a marathon by starting out running marathons.

Word.
on the beginners trying style like you or jamie, he addressed it in the interview we did, and this is what he had to say....

Quote:
I would have them train front squats, standing overhead presses, and deadlifts three times a week, and then pullups, dips, and abs two other days a week. Id keep the volume fairly low, especially at first, and have them focus on learning the movements.

After about a month, wed take the training wheels off and start loading them up, but keep the routine the same.
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

BTB and I had talked before about a beginners program, or just a basic 3x a week program of, Squats, Deads, Presses, Bench, BB rows.

I like programs like that and don't stray very far from them.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
Violent Volume
Brawn

Violent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
I would have them train front squats, standing overhead presses, and deadlifts three times a week, and then pullups, dips, and abs two other days a week. I’d keep the volume fairly low, especially at first, and have them focus on learning the movements.
Low volume is perfect. Frotn squats and deadlifts will kill your lower back and aren't the easiest lifts for beginners to get the hang of and I wouldn't do all that lower back volume 3 times a week right away. I would rather see a newb do squats build up some lower back strength and then learn deadlift form and take his time.

Lest us not forget about the almighty bench press. You put a newb on a program without bench and they'll lay a ****ing egg. Dips are a great exercise but bench needs to be in there somewhere.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
Violent Volume
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
BTB and I had talked before about a beginners program, or just a basic 3x a week program of, Squats, Deads, Presses, Bench, BB rows.

I like programs like that and don't stray very far from them.
I need to kick myself in the teeth. I shoulda said that squats deadlifts presses front squats all that happy crap can be done 3 times a week if you're not lifting heavy and lifting moderately light to get form and groove down. A beginner can then work into more weight. I just don't want any newbs to get the odea that they should deadlift heavy thrice weekly from day one.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Totally agree with you about volume, and intensity.
In fact I've made the same analogy as you did about, running a marathon.

Jamie lewis, wrote an article about why he doesn't like Stuart McRobert, of "Brawn".

http://muscleandbrawn.com/10-reasons...-****-himself/

I'm critical of people jumping into Jamies style to fast. I'm also willing to go harder and with a little less, chicken little attitude as McRobert is.

It's all about crawl, walk, run. Master one before moving on to the other.

The human body can do a lot, you just have to give it some time to learn to do the work.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
Grim83
Max Brawn

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Low volume is perfect. Frotn squats and deadlifts will kill your lower back and aren't the easiest lifts for beginners to get the hang of and I wouldn't do all that lower back volume 3 times a week right away. I would rather see a newb do squats build up some lower back strength and then learn deadlift form and take his time.

Lest us not forget about the almighty bench press. You put a newb on a program without bench and they'll lay a ****ing egg. Dips are a great exercise but bench needs to be in there somewhere.
as far as frequency, i believe jamie was wanting them to go light and just learn the movements, so they can 1. get form down and 2. its meant more to raise the gpp of the trainee.

as for the benching, id personally just tell them to STFU and train but i do see your point

No Bullshit no problems

Old 04-19-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
Violent Volume
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
as far as frequency, i believe jamie was wanting them to go light and just learn the movements, so they can 1. get form down and 2. its meant more to raise the gpp of the trainee.

as for the benching, id personally just tell them to STFU and train but i do see your point
Yeh I'm not trying to crap in anyones bowl of Wheaties. I figured James wasn't telling them to lift like a beast but I had to say it anyway. You're dead nuts is about GPP and just getting them off their asses.

Benching is so manly and primal. Who doesn't want to push a ****ing rock or large woman off their chest?
Old 04-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
Grim83
Max Brawn

Quote:
Yeh I'm not trying to crap in anyones bowl of Wheaties. I figured James wasn't telling them to lift like a beast but I had to say it anyway. You're dead nuts is about GPP and just getting them off their asses.

Benching is so manly and primal. Who doesn't want to push a ****ing rock or large woman off their chest?
i'll push the rock, but large women are not on my list of approved exercises lol.

No Bullshit no problems