Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   trap/neck/shoulder overcompensation problem (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2949)

big_swede 04-18-2010 04:46 AM

trap/neck/shoulder overcompensation problem

While ago i got this pain in my neck, upper trap section, i didnt notice it at first so kept on lifting, eventually it lead to a great deal of pain n i had a chiropractor have a look at me n he helped me get rid of it almost completly.

So far all good but due to the fact that i lifted with this problem for quite a while. and have overcompensated with my right side (left side was the problem) in all upper body compounds, i got a small fault in symetry and noticeable different in strength betwen left/right side of the body.

Do you have any ideas on how to regain strength in my left shoulder to make it more equal to the other side? Exercises or other tips?

Cheers

Mombow111 04-18-2010 08:16 AM

My amateuris opinon is to just reset and use equal weights with slow perfect form in both hands (using obviously the lesser side as your weight cap. If you haven/'t already, give DBs a try and maybe take a weak or 2 off a see if your body gradual resets yuor symmetry.

Grim83 04-18-2010 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mombow111 (Post 49098)
My amateuris opinon is to just reset and use equal weights with slow perfect form in both hands (using obviously the lesser side as your weight cap. If you haven/'t already, give DBs a try and maybe take a weak or 2 off a see if your body gradual resets yuor symmetry.

the dumbbells would be the best approach, but be to keep the training for both equal, like lets say you can dumbbell shoulder press 80ib DBs for 8reps with your right side but you can only get 4-5 reps with the left side, then you would only do sets of 4-5 for both sides, and work on keeping progress at the same rate, eventually your strength should pretty much equal out and with it your symmetry to

BendtheBar 04-18-2010 08:27 AM

I've heard it said to make sure you use a dumbbell exercise regularly for each muscle group. This sounds reasonable.

big_swede 04-18-2010 09:50 AM

thanks guys, will do. what do you think about adding 1-2 extra isolation sets to my left side (db biceps curl, lightweight onehand shoulderpresses and db shrugs for example)?

BendtheBar 04-18-2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_swede (Post 49109)
thanks guys, will do. what do you think about adding 1-2 extra isolation sets to my left side (db biceps curl, lightweight onehand shoulderpresses and db shrugs for example)?

I don't think it would hurt.

I am wondering if you could also do some drop sets, maybe blast a bodypart with some dumbbells and then do a drop set or two with a barbell movement. I don't know if there would be any benefit to this, I'm more just thinking out loud.

BendtheBar 04-18-2010 10:24 AM

I just found this on another forum:

Quote:

So use dumbbells, and do one arm movements. Start with the weaker side first at a given weight. If it can only get 8 reps, then make sure you stop at 8 reps on the stronger side, even if it can get a few more reps. This should keep the stronger side more at a "maintenance level" while the weaker side catches up.

You can also do one-arm DB bench pressing in the same way - but start with light weights until the movement is comfortable for you.

big valsalva 04-18-2010 01:38 PM

Welcome to the forum big_sewde. Look out fellas, looks like we've got an ACTUAL viking on board.

big_swede 04-18-2010 02:05 PM

Thanks big valsalva! And thank you for the quote bendthebar! Feeling really welcome here!