Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
Lerho
Brawn
Points: 2,733, Level: 31 Points: 2,733, Level: 31 Points: 2,733, Level: 31
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Lerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good posts
Default First strength, then muscle?

I have trained just about one year now. I have also read a lot about training and of course information is VERY different depending of the source. So, I would like to here opinions from you, what you think about the point Im making.

THE point is like the title says, first strength, then muscle. Is it valid? I am personally in that road. In my first year I have eaten calories well above my maintanance level trying to maximise my first year gains. Im pretty happy with my development. Now Im trying to further improve my strength levels and in the same time trying to reduce my bodyfat to about 10%.

My goals are to get my overhead press comparing to bodyweight x 100%, bench press x 150%, squat x 200%, deadlift x 250%.. Only when I get there, I will concentrate on building muscle mass and do more bb-type of training. Now I will concentrate just on that "big four" + weighted chins, weighted dips, barbell rows and weighted crunch. Nothing fancy, just keeping it simple, trying to progressively to improve my PR:s by training 2-3 times a week.

So, I would like to hear how other people do it. Is this a good way (Im just at the beginning)? And how people who are at "my goal levels" have done it... Just nice discussion and opinions. Is it better to switch earlier to bb-type of training, split bodyparts etc, or do it this way? Also is it better to keep bodyfat levels reasonably low or really trying to maximize strength gains and then diet down later?

Discuss and advice me..
Lerho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links