Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:44 AM   #11
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I could see trying an active recovery day if I was younger, had I known about them. If I had to do it over again I would probably squat every third day, alternating heavy and light. or something like that. Maybe every 4th day.

I sure wish I knew back then what I know now.
that may be a valuable way to do it, but id screw it up, simply because when i think active recovery i go straight to complexes and stuff like that
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2010, 11:45 AM   #12
Grim83
Max Brawn

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

another idea might be to try and switch the type of squats, like say do back squats on day 1 as the heavy day, overhead squats on day 2 as the light day, and front squats on day 3 for a medium session

No Bullshit no problems

Old 04-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
that may be a valuable way to do it, but id screw it up, simply because when i think active recovery i go straight to complexes and stuff like that
I have a hard time doing a workout and not killing myself. If it's not challenging, I lose focus. Maybe if I would have mentally trained myself differently from the get go.

Back to SS...I'm sure if you stick with it the DOMs/conditioning get better. GL is a living testimony to that. If you want to see old school in action, I think GL hits most of his squat sets over 75%. GL is Chaos & Pain without the Chaos.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #14
Grim83
Max Brawn

Quote:
I have a hard time doing a workout and not killing myself. If it's not challenging, I lose focus. Maybe if I would have mentally trained myself differently from the get go.

Back to SS...I'm sure if you stick with it the DOMs/conditioning get better. GL is a living testimony to that. If you want to see old school in action, I think GL hits most of his squat sets over 75%. GL is Chaos & Pain without the Chaos.
i agree gl is probably the most classical among us, and if hes pain i must be chaos lol

No Bullshit no problems

Old 04-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
i agree gl is probably the most classical among us, and if hes pain i must be chaos lol
Kit is hardcore old school.

I'm an old school wannabe with an old body that likes new school better.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #16
Grim83
Max Brawn

Quote:
Kit is hardcore old school.

I'm an old school wannabe with an old body that likes new school better.
i like to stay in the same area as the classic guys, but i have fun experimenting with stuff

No Bullshit no problems

Old 04-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #17
Grim83
Max Brawn

oh and by the way this thread has officially been DERAILED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Bullshit no problems

Old 04-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
oh and by the way this thread has officially been DERAILED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fine by me. Not much I think can be added to IA, GP and MR. They all have varying opinions which pretty much stresses that there are many paths that point in the same direction.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #19
Donkeypuncher
New Brawn
Points: 1,905, Level: 26 Points: 1,905, Level: 26 Points: 1,905, Level: 26
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Donkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
I've wanted to get into this thread, but haven't had enought time today.

I can squat 3x a week, but midweek needs to be lighter. Basically an active recovery day. This will allow me to go heavy Monday and Friday.

I've done 3x equal sessions but they are just a bit much, and Fridays session was harder than it needed to be, and it even impacted the following Monday session.

A more mature lifter, (muscle maturity) would be able to do it, but it takes time to build up to that level. Depending on the individual it could be a few years before they are ready to squat with equal intensity 3X a week.

Casey Butt talks about this in the interviews that BTB has posted in the link.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/13690-post13.html

Squat technique is another issue, and with that we can also add squat depth into the mix. There's a lot you can do with the squat. No time right now.
What weights do you use to squat 3x a week?
Old 04-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #20
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkeypuncher View Post
What weights do you use to squat 3x a week?
I've gone as high as 260 on a 5x5 program. That was both utilizing a pryamid to the top set and a Reg Park style program where the worksets all use the same weight.

Right now I'm working back up having changed my squat style. I'm at 225 for my workset, but going ATG which is much harder than parallel.

If your going to squat 2 or 3x a week, you are not going to go as heavy as if you were squatting once a week. My goal right now is get to 300 on my worksets 2 to 3x a week. Thats utilizing a 3x10 scheme.

Once I'm where I want with the 3x10, then it will get pushed to a 4x10.

While I want decent strength, I also want to keep my weights a bit more moderate. I'd like to keep my joints feeling healthy, and work into even higher weights slowly. I'm not 20 anymore, and injuries take a long time to come back from.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote