Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Archery 2000 Champion! Fish Eat Fish Champion! Power Driver Champion! Yeti Sports 1 Greece Champion! Penguinoids Champion!
Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine
Default Yeaa! More Deadlift Q's...

I'll keep this quick..

I load the bar. Knees are very slightly bent, back as straight as I can keep it, but still maintaining a natural arch. I take a grip, and stand up. Bar stays close to my body, sometimes too close. 1 second rest at top, then bring bar back down to rack. Rack pegs keep the weights about 6" above the ground...

How bad is this form?

* I'l try to get a video, but I have no place to host it and I'm just slightly anti you-tube...
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

very hard to tell from this... it sounds good from this.... but you really cant tell without a vid
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 04-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

very tough to tell but why don't you start from the ground??
Old 04-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
Fire36
Nozzle Jockey
Max Brawn
Points: 2,397, Level: 29 Points: 2,397, Level: 29 Points: 2,397, Level: 29

Fire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributor

I was told cant have it too close. I have marks on my shins from teh bar hitting scraping them. I was also told, when getting into position for the lift you want to "compress" the hamstrings think of them like a spring. Keeping the slight arch in back letting the "springs" force u you and then at the top explode the lift back.

Hope that makes sense
Fire36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

First, make sure your feet are halfway under the bar from a side view. Then, reach down and grab the bar. Lower your hips until your shins touch the bar. Tighten your back, thrust your chest out, tighten your traps and triceps, lock arms, and stand up. This is a good start.

Sometimes it will feel like your feet are too far under.

Also, don't have your feet too wide apart, but it's ok to have toes pointed out.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:42 PM   #6
cooltom
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

cooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributor

If you are doing traditional deadlifts, I agree with Fire36 that you can't have the bar too close. Drag the bar up your shins and thighs. Keep your arms straight, don't bend them.

It's hard to tell without a video, but I do recommend that, in the meantime, you do some video research of your own. Mark Rippetoe has some instruction videos you can find on youtube, and I believe here on M&B. Also, watch other powerlifters do the lift and take notes. I watched lots of youtube videos of guys like Ed Coan, Andy Bolton, Chad Aichs, Jim Wendler, Matt Kroczaleski, and on and on, studying their movements, their forms, etc. I even used a broom stick and did squats and deadlifts in front of the computer to fix what I thought were problems.

Follow my progress: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-powerful.html
cooltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:46 PM   #7
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

well since everyone else seems to have addressed everything but this, if you use a conventional stance heres a little trick i got from dan john about your foot position. try jumping, and have someone see where your feet naturally start and then land at. the starting position is your ideal width for pulls, and you landing position is a good width for your squats
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
well since everyone else seems to have addressed everything but this, if you use a conventional stance heres a little trick i got from dan john about your foot position. try jumping, and have someone see where your feet naturally start and then land at. the starting position is your ideal width for pulls, and you landing position is a good width for your squats
^ This is one piece I forgot to add. I picked that up somewhere as well and use it for my own setup.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:45 AM   #9
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45

Archery 2000 Champion! Fish Eat Fish Champion! Power Driver Champion! Yeti Sports 1 Greece Champion! Penguinoids Champion!
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
very tough to tell but why don't you start from the ground??
My gym room is pretty small, and I don't feel like moving stuff around for a bar with plates...I could probably do it, but I figure it's only giving me a 6" advantage, and I'll eventually get rid of some of the old equipment that's cluttering the place up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire36 View Post
I was told cant have it too close. I have marks on my shins from teh bar hitting scraping them. I was also told, when getting into position for the lift you want to "compress" the hamstrings think of them like a spring. Keeping the slight arch in back letting the "springs" force u you and then at the top explode the lift back.

Hope that makes sense

By too close, I don't mean my legs. Maybe I should wear some more "support" under my shorts... I tagged one of the boys going up and almost dropped the damn bar...

I forgot my digital camera does video, so I can record myself next week... I guess I'll have to break down and open a YT account to post them..I've used photobucket before for video hosting, but it can't be embedded properly on a forum.

Muchas Gracias fellas...pure video entertainment to come..just don't laugh too hard.. haha
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Urban Sniper Champion!
Training Exp: A few
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricka182 View Post
By too close, I don't mean my legs. Maybe I should wear some more "support" under my shorts... I tagged one of the boys going up and almost dropped the damn bar...

I'm a noob to deads, but I have found the most usefull advice for me to be to ensure that it feels like your heels are supporting your bodyweight, do that by basically "sitting" with your butt just to the point where you would fall over if you continued sitting. Before I started doing that I felt it all in my quads and was asking "Why don't I just suqat?"... hopefully that's correct, clear, and helps.
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote