Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
MMA Max
Max Brawn
Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor
Default Routine Questions and Switch up

My Current Chest and Triceps program I am in love with and I know sooner or later I have to switch things up but, I was wondering do you have to switch up movements or can you switch up the order of attack.

Current Attack
1) Flat DB Press
2) Incline DB Press
3) Flyes of any-type
4) Forward Leaning Dips
5) Close Grip BB Press
6) Cable Triceps Press Down

Switched Attack
1) Forward Dips
2) Incline DB Press
3) Flyes
4) Flat DB Press
5) Cable Tricep Press Down
6) Close Grip

Or do you have to really just switch up the movements?

" Deutscher Stolz weltweit "

Violence. It may not be the answer, But it sure cuts down on the questions!

MMA Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

You really don't have to switch up anything as long as you are pushing yourself, which I've seen from your workouts that you are.

Are you concerned about adaptation to exercises and minimized muscle gains?

Progression of weight will consistently force your body to respond.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
MMA Max
Max Brawn
Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
You really don't have to switch up anything as long as you are pushing yourself, which I've seen from your workouts that you are.

Are you concerned about adaptation to exercises and minimized muscle gains?

Progression of weight will consistently force your body to respond.
On the Button BTB. I have heard from many gym rats that you have to change it up but I have always followed what my heart/body is telling me and I am still feeling this blasting my chest. However, last Back day I didn't Dead Lift or pull up, I kept the weight light and did rows, Stiff legs and some other movements, I felt like I needed to give my back a break so I switched it up. Dead's can really start to tear at your back and sap your energy

" Deutscher Stolz weltweit "

Violence. It may not be the answer, But it sure cuts down on the questions!

MMA Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I like to rotate in exercises occasionally for fun. I think it's good to get in different exercises simply to give the body/CNS/connective tissue a break. But you can simply rotate them in and out every other week like you did with deadlifts. There is nothing wrong with doing deadlifts every other week, especially with how hard you are working. Once I get to doing an exercise every 3 weeks though, I start to notice a decrease in strength - or stagnation.

But most gym rats think that because beginner gains are gone, that you need to throw out the baby with the bath water and switch everything around 10 times over.

Always stick to the core exercises. As long as you're pushing yourself on them, you're in a safe place. You can make minor moves for fun. But overall, the effort (pushing yourself) is the most important factor in training.Heck, I've used pretty much the same exercises for over 2 decades.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-13-2010 at 01:43 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
thumpinos
Uber Brawn
Points: 4,122, Level: 40 Points: 4,122, Level: 40 Points: 4,122, Level: 40
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

thumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good posts

I'm siding with BTB here. I don't think you need to get fancy. If you need a change, try doing a 10x10 day on bench, or something like that. If you get too far from linear progression, you just start to lose some strength.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
onetiredkris
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

I'm big on avoiding switching movements, people get the bodies adaption confused as a bad thing. Stick to the same movements and progress in weight and reps, the body becomes more and more effective with it and will continue to improve.

Switching movements is more for mental stagnation.

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Great answers guys, I agree there really is no need to switch exercises as long as you are pushing for progression on each workout. Your body will keep improving. Throwing in some different exercises can definitely give you a little mental boost every once in a while.