Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Routine Questions and Switch up (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2864)

MMA Max 04-13-2010 01:05 PM

Routine Questions and Switch up

My Current Chest and Triceps program I am in love with and I know sooner or later I have to switch things up but, I was wondering do you have to switch up movements or can you switch up the order of attack.

Current Attack
1) Flat DB Press
2) Incline DB Press
3) Flyes of any-type
4) Forward Leaning Dips
5) Close Grip BB Press
6) Cable Triceps Press Down

Switched Attack
1) Forward Dips
2) Incline DB Press
3) Flyes
4) Flat DB Press
5) Cable Tricep Press Down
6) Close Grip

Or do you have to really just switch up the movements?

BendtheBar 04-13-2010 01:17 PM

You really don't have to switch up anything as long as you are pushing yourself, which I've seen from your workouts that you are.

Are you concerned about adaptation to exercises and minimized muscle gains?

Progression of weight will consistently force your body to respond.

MMA Max 04-13-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 47766)
You really don't have to switch up anything as long as you are pushing yourself, which I've seen from your workouts that you are.

Are you concerned about adaptation to exercises and minimized muscle gains?

Progression of weight will consistently force your body to respond.

On the Button BTB. I have heard from many gym rats that you have to change it up but I have always followed what my heart/body is telling me and I am still feeling this blasting my chest. However, last Back day I didn't Dead Lift or pull up, I kept the weight light and did rows, Stiff legs and some other movements, I felt like I needed to give my back a break so I switched it up. Dead's can really start to tear at your back and sap your energy

BendtheBar 04-13-2010 01:40 PM

I like to rotate in exercises occasionally for fun. I think it's good to get in different exercises simply to give the body/CNS/connective tissue a break. But you can simply rotate them in and out every other week like you did with deadlifts. There is nothing wrong with doing deadlifts every other week, especially with how hard you are working. Once I get to doing an exercise every 3 weeks though, I start to notice a decrease in strength - or stagnation.

But most gym rats think that because beginner gains are gone, that you need to throw out the baby with the bath water and switch everything around 10 times over.

Always stick to the core exercises. As long as you're pushing yourself on them, you're in a safe place. You can make minor moves for fun. But overall, the effort (pushing yourself) is the most important factor in training.Heck, I've used pretty much the same exercises for over 2 decades.

thumpinos 04-13-2010 02:24 PM

I'm siding with BTB here. I don't think you need to get fancy. If you need a change, try doing a 10x10 day on bench, or something like that. If you get too far from linear progression, you just start to lose some strength.

onetiredkris 04-13-2010 03:04 PM

I'm big on avoiding switching movements, people get the bodies adaption confused as a bad thing. Stick to the same movements and progress in weight and reps, the body becomes more and more effective with it and will continue to improve.

Switching movements is more for mental stagnation.

jwood 04-13-2010 03:38 PM

Great answers guys, I agree there really is no need to switch exercises as long as you are pushing for progression on each workout. Your body will keep improving. Throwing in some different exercises can definitely give you a little mental boost every once in a while.