Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:18 AM   #1
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast
Default Totalee Awesome: A Complete Guide to Body-Building Success

Lee Haney's Book, I just got it from the Library. Should impart some good knowlege unto me
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Since your into Golden Age stuff, check out Casey Butts articles. Have you read Brawn, by Stuart McRobert?

Jamie lewis, AKA, Chaos&Pain, has his viewpoint on McRoberts, and his opinion is worth reading as well.

My own personal viewpoint is that McRoberts, and Lewis are pretty far apart on the pendulum arc, while Butts takes a more central better grounded share of the issue.

Give us a good book review when your finished.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I didn't even know Haney had a book. Trevor, was it you that wanted Neanderthin?

I have a bad memory at my old age....

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn

Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Since your into Golden Age stuff, check out Casey Butts articles. Have you read Brawn, by Stuart McRobert?

Jamie lewis, AKA, Chaos&Pain, has his viewpoint on McRoberts, and his opinion is worth reading as well.

My own personal viewpoint is that McRoberts, and Lewis are pretty far apart on the pendulum arc, while Butts takes a more central better grounded share of the issue.

Give us a good book review when your finished.
Yeah, I just searched bodybuilding as a subject and that was it for that branch. But if I wanted to I could look up some of that stuff and have it held for me at the branch I go to. I was irritated/impatient with them yesterday because they checked out a book I had on hold to someone (Ian Fleming's Goldfinger) I even thought afterward that I should have searched for Chuck Sipes, either as author or subject so maybe I'll do that later today. Jamie's main thing against Ripptoe, McRoberts, et al is the fear of heavy weight, volume, and overtraining that they try to instill and their nutritional advice. He's sais a couple of times on his site that their training methods aren't bad, it's more their fearful philosophy. To quote someone here (I think it was Doc), Fear=doubt=danger in the gym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I didn't even know Haney had a book. Trevor, was it you that wanted Neanderthin?

I have a bad memory at my old age....
Yes, that was me.

Last edited by Trevor Lane; 04-09-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn

So, I finished this. Not worth a full review, but here are my thoughts.

This probably is a pretty good book for complete noobs, but not terribly useful for intermediate to advanced builders.

First off, the nutrition section is horrible, especially from the perspective of a follower of the paleo lifestyle. Phrases like "nutrition is 80% of bodybuilding," I have to agree with Grim that nutrition, training, and rest are equal, which means they all get about 33%; "a good diet is 60-70% carbs" and he says grains and potatoes are the way to get them... BS, unless you have 4 stomachs and can chew cud you have no business eating grains (that's clearly only my opinion, based on my subscription to eating like a caveman); "it was once believed that 2 grams of protein per lb. of bodyweight was necessary, we now know that number can be cut in half," OK, maybe it's not “necessary,” but will it keep me from gaining muscle??? NO; and to cap off my rant on Mr. Haney's nutritional advice… he advises in one sentence increasing caloric intake by 600-700 a day, then advises endomorphs (regardless of bodyweight) to keep their calories at about 1700 a day - which is it??? So, I clearly will not be following any of his nutrition suggestions.

The Motivation section is great. He gets a bit religious and preachy but his bottom line is awesome: Get to the gym no matter what it takes!!!

The exercise section is first-class as well. He explains several workout schedules including 6 a week, 4 on/3 off, 2 on/1 off, etc… and how to apply several methods to those scheduled including body part splits, full body, and push-pull. Then he breaks down the exercises he uses by body part in great detail with incredible pictures.

Finally, the show prep section is disappointing after the detail of the exercise section. Haney gives advice about posing trunks, tanning, and even makeup. But he never explains poses, even though he advises you on picking music and how many poses you should have (12-13 for a novice show, in case anyone was wondering).

So, overall it was a bit disappointing to me.

Last edited by Trevor Lane; 04-22-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Lane View Post
Phrases like "nutrition is 80% of bodybuilding," I forget who said it but I have to agree that nutrition, training, and rest are equal, which means they all get about 33%
that sounds like my article bones to pick.

also dont feel bad, i have yet to find a book by a pro that i felt was worth jack ****, arnolds education of a bodybuilder was ok, but mainly from an entertainment point
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
that sounds like my article bones to pick.

also dont feel bad, i have yet to find a book by a pro that i felt was worth jack ****, arnolds education of a bodybuilder was ok, but mainly from an entertainment point
Yeah, it was yours... for some reason I through it was Gamma but then I couldn't find it in any of his stuff.
This clearly was not a "complete guide to bodybuilding success," he could have at least explained the 12-13 poses for novices and that alone would have vastly improved it.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Lane View Post

First off, the nutrition section is horrible, especially from the perspective of a follower of the paleo lifestyle. Phrases like "nutrition is 80% of bodybuilding,"
I wonder if this was written while under contract with Weider. What's its publication date.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #9
cooltom
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

cooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributor

I used to have those Lee Haney training videos when I was in high school. They were worthless to me then. I also remember reading about Haney doing DB Rows with about 70 pound dumbells too. The guy could probably build muscle just by thinking about weights (how's that for mind-muscle connection).

As for the diet advice, he probably just put down what he liked to eat. I imagine he's that guy we all know or see in the gym who walks in eating a snicker's bar and drinking a pepsi, then lays down on the bench and uses two sets to reach 365.

Basica-lee, Lee could have eaten like a slob and probably would have been complete-lee awesome.

Follow my progress: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-powerful.html
cooltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #10
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendthebar View Post
i wonder if this was written while under contract with weider. What's its publication date.