Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #21
strkout35
Max Brawn

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Front presses will hit your upper pecs well enough, and dips are the upper body squat. Finish off with flyes.
i'm not planning on incorporating flyes as of now i want to build up a solid base first before hitting the isolations...

so as of now here's how it looks:

BTN push press: 5x3
Chest Dips: 3xfailure (or one rep away)
CGBP: 3x4-6

typical rest between sets is 90 seconds

_________Goals:__
Squat:______275
Deadlift:_____315
Bench:______185
Press:_______135

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"

Last edited by strkout35; 04-04-2010 at 07:12 PM.
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2010, 07:10 PM   #22
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

when you get a certain number of dips, do weighted dips (either a DB between feet or preferably a belt).

With the BTNs i'd use 5x3. I havent done them heavy, but heres what people who do do them heavy told me. after a few reps form gets sloppy and you can mess up the drop. therefore i'd keep it pretty low rep. start with these really slowly man (and while your working on form/using low weight, maybe do a few heavy sets of Push Press (regular front PP) and really push the weight high with these to get a good workout).
Old 04-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #23
strkout35
Max Brawn

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
when you get a certain number of dips, do weighted dips (either a DB between feet or preferably a belt).

With the BTNs i'd use 5x3. I havent done them heavy, but heres what people who do do them heavy told me. after a few reps form gets sloppy and you can mess up the drop. therefore i'd keep it pretty low rep. start with these really slowly man (and while your working on form/using low weight, maybe do a few heavy sets of Push Press (regular front PP) and really push the weight high with these to get a good workout).
i like that idea, heavy low reps. i'll edit the post above. i'm thinking i'll start with 85 or 95 lbs and work up

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"
Old 04-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #24
strkout35
Max Brawn

also what about the rest for 5x3 sets, i haven't done much with this rep/set scheme so what's a good rest period you've used?

Old 04-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #25
Fire36
Nozzle Jockey
Max Brawn

Fire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributor

thats a good scheme, my workout consists of a 5x5 workout and when i do dips i do them on the same day as my bench, but i only do 3 sets of dips right now doing bwx f
and when i mean failure the minute one rep doesnt look like the rest they are done.
Fire36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #26
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkout35 View Post
i like that idea, heavy low reps. i'll edit the post above. i'm thinking i'll start with 85 or 95 lbs and work up
this is the one time i'll advocate low weight....

with this exercise a lot can go wrong. you have to get used to it & get to the point where your naturally ready for anything that goes wrong

eventually you should find your grove and im sure it will work great for you (i need to start doing this also... lately ive done it at end of workouts to work on the getting used to it, but it still feels wierd to me.
Quote:
also what about the rest for 5x3 sets, i haven't done much with this rep/set scheme so what's a good rest period you've used?
it depends on your goals. i would go longer rest periods once things get heavy, but right now since your using light weights to get used to it, keep it to 30 seconds or so (if this feels like enough time to safely do the next sets).
Old 04-04-2010, 08:58 PM   #27
strkout35
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
this is the one time i'll advocate low weight....

with this exercise a lot can go wrong. you have to get used to it & get to the point where your naturally ready for anything that goes wrong

eventually you should find your grove and im sure it will work great for you (i need to start doing this also... lately ive done it at end of workouts to work on the getting used to it, but it still feels wierd to me.

it depends on your goals. i would go longer rest periods once things get heavy, but right now since your using light weights to get used to it, keep it to 30 seconds or so (if this feels like enough time to safely do the next sets).
ok thanks man, i'll let you know how i like it when it starts getting heavy

Old 04-04-2010, 08:58 PM   #28
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn

Quote:
ok thanks man, i'll let you know how i like it when it starts getting heavy
good luck man
Old 04-05-2010, 09:28 PM   #29
MMA Max
Max Brawn

MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor

I may be to late but I have been Using the Flat DB Press, Incline DB Press, Any type of fly and Finally I blast the hell out of my chest with Dips..But I lean WAYYYY forward so you put a lot of stress on the chest.

" Deutscher Stolz weltweit "

Violence. It may not be the answer, But it sure cuts down on the questions!

MMA Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #30
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA Max View Post
I may be to late but I have been Using the Flat DB Press, Incline DB Press, Any type of fly and Finally I blast the hell out of my chest with Dips..But I lean WAYYYY forward so you put a lot of stress on the chest.
You're never too late for this party. Good input. I may try some of that myself.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote