Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn
Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor
Default When to switch exercises?

How often do you guys switch up your routine?

Assuming someone does 3 full-body routines per week, how beneficial and necessary is it to switch up the exercises being done?
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

I would say whenever you're bored with one.
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I generally keep the staples and find new and interesting ways to do them differently. I find it's not the exercises that bore me, it's the routine.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
onetiredkris
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

If its a mental thing, by all means switch it up if that's what is needed to keep you motivated.

Other than that, I'm a believer in progression threw adaption. So I never switch up my movements.

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetiredkris View Post
If its a mental thing, by all means switch it up if that's what is needed to keep you motivated.

Other than that, I'm a believer in progression threw adaption. So I never switch up my movements.
I agree here. An option that I found useful and interesting is to adopt a rotation of maybe two or three fullbody routines and do your workouts A-B-C, then repeat. Just make sure you're progressing each time you repeat a particular workout. For example, make sure A2 is better than A1. This is basic doggcrapp style philosophy. If you bomb out on a particular exercise two or three times in a row, throw it out for a while and put something else in its place.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

My overall program remains pretty consistant as far as which moves I'm doing. Sets and reps change from time to time, as well as which moves get done in which order.

Progression is king is what I work by. I'm always looking to add weight to the bar. I'm never really bored with any of the movements that I do. Rather I may need a break from doing something due to accumulated fatique.

I'm in that phase right now with what I'm doing, and so I've deloaded to make a new run at higher weights. The one big change I put in was to really get old school with my squats , and get down deep in the hole. On the bottom!

Something that I've noticed over the last several months, as I've really dug into old school training. You don't need a lot of moves to build a great physique. Some of the really great bodies of the past built their bodies with very basic programs, but pushed hard on those few moves that they did.

Today, people get way to hung up on doing far to many isolation moves. They think a well equipped gym has to have tons of special machines. You really don't need all that much in terms of equipment. Just some basic stuff is all you need. however, you must work hard with what you have.

Keep it simple, get in and get out.
Have a goal, and work towards that end.
Push for progression each week.
Eat, sleep, and have a life outside the gym.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:34 AM   #7
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Whenever they stop working. I normally give myself a minimum of 1 month to 3 months and in between before I start switching around my main compound lifts.

For assistance I cycle them far more often based on goals and needs at the time.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:35 AM   #8
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
My overall program remains pretty consistant as far as which moves I'm doing. Sets and reps change from time to time, as well as which moves get done in which order.

Progression is king is what I work by. I'm always looking to add weight to the bar. I'm never really bored with any of the movements that I do. Rather I may need a break from doing something due to accumulated fatique.

I'm in that phase right now with what I'm doing, and so I've deloaded to make a new run at higher weights. The one big change I put in was to really get old school with my squats , and get down deep in the hole. On the bottom!

Something that I've noticed over the last several months, as I've really dug into old school training. You don't need a lot of moves to build a great physique. Some of the really great bodies of the past built their bodies with very basic programs, but pushed hard on those few moves that they did.

Today, people get way to hung up on doing far to many isolation moves. They think a well equipped gym has to have tons of special machines. You really don't need all that much in terms of equipment. Just some basic stuff is all you need. however, you must work hard with what you have.

Keep it simple, get in and get out.
Have a goal, and work towards that end.
Push for progression each week.
Eat, sleep, and have a life outside the gym.
Agreed
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #9
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn
Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

Thanks for all the answers, guys! Helped a lot

I can never get tired of squats/deads/presses, etc. JW everyone elses thoughts.
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #10
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezingstardust View Post
Thanks for all the answers, guys! Helped a lot

I can never get tired of squats/deads/presses, etc. JW everyone elses thoughts.
Then you shall never go wrong.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote