Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
HITman_mark71
HIT Jedi
New Brawn
Points: 4,995, Level: 45 Points: 4,995, Level: 45 Points: 4,995, Level: 45
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

HITman_mark71 is off to a bad start
Default Did Arnold Schwarzenegger train heavy?

I received Dave Draper's column in my inbox and he had this to say about the way Arnold trained:

Quote:
Question: Did you and Arnold focus more on moderate poundage and the feeling of the movement, or did you concentrate on heavy movements? I have heard that Arnold did train lighter in an effort to zero in on the pump. Was this true in your eyes? He made tremendous improvements to his physique in the early to mid ’70s.

Dave Draper: The tale of the Oak is true of all of us. There was a time and a season for heavy work, but moderate+ with fight and form was the rule. Sensible, healthy, effective and sustainable.
I know Arnold was a powerlifter and Olympic lifter in his early years. Does anyone know what his weight was during his teen and heavy lifting years? I'm curious just how much weight Arnold put on post-heavy training.

I read about the fact that he was constantly of oral steroids, which I found insanely dangerous.

Also, Arnold was a master of mind games. Does anyone know if he really trained for 4 hours a day, 6 days a week, or was he just trying to pull a mind game on the competition?
HITman_mark71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Arnold had very good strength numbers when he was younger. Thats not to say that he was using sissy weights during the height of his Mr. Olympia reign. It's all relative.

The steroids alter how you can train, and what you can do to your body. Other people can give you a better technical breakdown on how they affect your training.

He did talk of doing lengthy sessions, and if you look at his some of his routines, they do appear to be quite lengthy. He did employ a twice a day training split. Doing half the body of his workout in the morning, and half in the afternoon. At times this was done 6x week, with one day off.

Disclaimer:

As usual with any product, results are not typical, your results may vary, don't try this at home, paid professionals were used in the filming of this movie, reality pron really isn't, shamwow is just a rag, my ex-wife is still a controlling shrew, not everything you see on tv is real. Arnold is still the man!

Last edited by glwanabe; 03-18-2010 at 08:38 AM.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post

Disclaimer:

As usual with any product, results are not typical, your results may vary, don't try this at home, paid professionals were used in the filming of this movie, reality pron really isn't, shamwow is just a rag, my ex-wife is still a controlling shrew, not everything you see on tv is real. Arnold is still the man!
That was a good post but I could stop reading the disclaimer...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
HITman_mark71
HIT Jedi
New Brawn
Points: 4,995, Level: 45 Points: 4,995, Level: 45 Points: 4,995, Level: 45

HITman_mark71 is off to a bad start

Draper was saying that Arnold did back off the weight. I'm sure that his mdoerate weight was heavy enough, but I'm still curious to see how much muscle Arnold added while decreasing weight and increasing intensity.
HITman_mark71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITman_mark71 View Post
Draper was saying that Arnold did back off the weight. I'm sure that his mdoerate weight was heavy enough, but I'm still curious to see how much muscle Arnold added while decreasing weight and increasing intensity.
I'm betting that Arnold had a pretty rock solid base by the time he advanced to his "lighter years". I'm sure he wasn't at his largest, but I imagine he was no stick figure.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:02 AM   #6
rambobala
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1

rambobala is off to a bad start

Arnold claimed his strong bench press was around 400lbs and sqauts @500 and deadlift 600-700. but he never mentioned how much he used on which day, competion preperation or peak cycle. he appeared in few strongman competition to have official lifts. but in his book encyclopedia there is no mentioning of the particular weight and day like march 5, 1974 backpress 200 pounds.
rambobala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambobala View Post
Arnold claimed his strong bench press was around 400lbs and sqauts @500 and deadlift 600-700. but he never mentioned how much he used on which day, competion preperation or peak cycle. he appeared in few strongman competition to have official lifts. but in his book encyclopedia there is no mentioning of the particular weight and day like march 5, 1974 backpress 200 pounds.
Welcome to the forum and good post.