Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
Mombow111
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,550, Level: 22 Points: 1,550, Level: 22 Points: 1,550, Level: 22
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good posts
Default Muscle Soreness and Working out

I was curious if any of you had any information on what the ailment of muscle soreness is signaling- like as if to ask if it's physical damage still intact on the muscle or if it's more of a nominal, leftover warning from when the muscle itself was damage that hasn't been cleaned out. The reason why I'm asking is that I worked out over 72+ hrs ago and am still feeling ever the slightest tinge in my shoulders, I know I could workout but I don't know how productive it would be and my routine is very shoulders heavy today, (Clean and press, incline bp, and military press) I could always cut out military press which is what I was thinking, what are your opinions?
Mombow111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
psu_beezt
New Brawn
Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1

psu_beezt is off to a bad start

i find that i'm most sore 2 days after i work a group. in my mind, that means its working!! if it was up to me, i'd do the scheduled workout you have for today, since 3 days should be enough. no your muscles aren't fully recovered (hence the pain) but working out hard today, in theory, will boost your recovery to a higher level. just take it easy on your shoulders after today (at least another 3 or 4 days)
psu_beezt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I just found this:

DOMS - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (by Kiran Sawhney)

Quote:
Even though DOMS has been under scientific scrutiny since the turn of the century, at the present time, the actual biological process behind it remains a mystery. What is known is that DOMS is a complex process, and every piece of the puzzle uncovered, makes it all the more mysterious.
Also, I was reading a study last night and it mentioned that you could train a muscle with DOMs, and have no bad side effects.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
psu_beezt
New Brawn
Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1

psu_beezt is off to a bad start

good read BtB..good point they made there...make sure to warm up with some lighter weight before goin heavy on those mil presses, OP.

"Even though the benefits of regular exercise are well known, many of us don't do it. One reason may be that pain or discomfort sometimes goes along with fitness activities."--i laughed at this b/c the pain is one of the main things i love about it
psu_beezt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psu_beezt View Post
--i laughed at this b/c the pain is one of the main things i love about it
Yeah exactly. I love DOMS the next day. I love the "good" pain during a workout. Some days it's tough to walk or scratch your nose because of soreness, but when you start to love that feeling you know you're an addict.

Btw, I rarely get any tricep DOMs. I think I would have to do a 10x10 for triceps with closegrips to get any lingering DOMs.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:04 AM   #6
Maiar
Brawn
Points: 1,067, Level: 17 Points: 1,067, Level: 17 Points: 1,067, Level: 17

Maiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality posts

I hear often how DOMS is not an indicator of growth but it is kinda discouraging when I'm not sore at all after training. I really only get DOMS in my chest and triceps and/or forearms. Never get it from squatting or deadlifting.
It's weird.
Maiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:03 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiar View Post
I hear often how DOMS is not an indicator of growth but it is kinda discouraging when I'm not sore at all after training. I really only get DOMS in my chest and triceps and/or forearms. Never get it from squatting or deadlifting.
It's weird.
I never get shoulder, tricep or bicep DOMS. Almost always get hamstring DOMs from squatting. Occasionally get back DOMs. Chest is usually the big DOMs for me.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:12 PM   #8
Marc
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30

Marc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I never get shoulder, tricep or bicep DOMS. Almost always get hamstring DOMs from squatting. Occasionally get back DOMs. Chest is usually the big DOMs for me.
I am the same way, I can work tris and bis and other things to the maxx and feel 100% the next morning but Chest is the big one that really lingers for me as well.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:43 AM   #9
Maiar
Brawn
Points: 1,067, Level: 17 Points: 1,067, Level: 17 Points: 1,067, Level: 17

Maiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I just found this:

DOMS - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (by Kiran Sawhney)

Also, I was reading a study last night and it mentioned that you could train a muscle with DOMs, and have no bad side effects.
I often do this. I find after it warms up a bit the DOMS is practically gone.
Maiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:53 AM   #10
onetiredkris
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

Quote:
...the actual biological process behind it remains a mystery. What is known is that DOMS is a complex process, and every piece of the puzzle uncovered, makes it all the more mysterious. ...
HAHA science has an answer for everything, i like that one!

For me DOMS pretty much only happens to my legs and it doesnt kick in until 36 hours after working out. Sometimes my chest or tris will get sore, once in a blue moon

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote