Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #11
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I hear what you're saying. I made many mistakes as well, and doing heavy benches twice a week was one of them. I also didn't deadlift, primarily because very few bodybuilding routines in Muscle and Fiction during the 80's used deadlifts - or even talk about them for that matter.

My back thickness has improved dramatically since I've started using deadlifts, and I regret not using them from day one.

Regarding the deadlift, I know this to be true...if I mention that deadlift works the back, I will get bombarded with confused posters who think that deadlifts are simply a glorified leg press, and only work the legs.
I was the same way, but maybe worse. All I ever wanted were big arms..I wanted those Everest like biceps over anything else. So I neglected chest...and back...and legs even to an extent. It was quite a shock when I did start working chest, and realized how little I could press even with crap form.

As for deadlifting...I have a friend who is convinced it's a bad, very bad idea to deadlift anything. He says never bend at the waist. I try to explain what a proper deadlift does, and he just shrugs it off.. Another reason why I want to get to a gym, is so I can deadlift..My focus on my next bulk is mostly chest and back.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #12
onetiredkris
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Pay Your Dues
by Kiefer

We all know the guy in the gym, strutting around with an average physique, constantly rotating their workout from MMA-fighter-style, to power, to sculpting and for all their effort, they go nowhere, achieve nothing.They never have and never will, and yet they tell everyone in the gym how to lift, how they should train for particular goals, how to get ripped, how to do this, how to do that…and the list goes on.

Watch them train. They use too much weight, moving moderate loads about an inch at the top of the movement, building neither size nor strength. They befriend the gym goers who excel in their training, never plateau and achieve levels of performance and fat loss that seems miraculous, as if proximity imparts exceptionalism, while they can barely reach even modest goals.

Worst of all—and what pisses me off—is given the chance to spot someone exceptional, they scream commands to impress the newbies, to establish themselves as the source of talent, dedication and know-how that went into somebody else’s achievement. When this happened to me, when I set up for an easy 355 on the bench, when I had to yell at the guy to get his hands off the bar in the middle of a rep, when I had to listen to him screaming meaningless commands, I felt like throwing him out a window. In retrospect, maybe I should have.

Don’t be one of these guys. If you’ve never been there—and “there” might be a 400 lb bench, a 600 lb squat, 7% body fat, a sub-4-hour marathon—don’t tell others how to get to a place you’ve never even seen. Don’t tell a 215 lb guy who just squatted 930 lbs that his form sucked and he got lucky to sneak one past the judges. Don’t tell someone their biceps could use a nicer peak when yours don’t even exist. Watch, listen, learn: until you’ve been there, this is all you should be doing.

Ask questions, do some research and experiment. Successful people are successful for a reason: they don’t need your opinion; they need facts; they need experience. And contrary to popular belief, not all opinions stand on equal footing. There are ignorant people and their opinions count for dirt.

When you can out bench me, out squat me and out run me while staying leaner, tighter and eating cleaner, then you can give me your opinion. Until that happens, shut the hell up and pay your dues.
Roger that. Its like Jesus himself wrote that up.
I would like a shirt that has that entire quote written on it.

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #13
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Thanks to training with stronger guys then me, such as EHUBBS, I learned a lot and didn't have to make the same mistakes everyone else did. Maybe one day I will completely listen to ehubbs golden advice on over training and never taking an odd number for a squat attempt one day too.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #14
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybygamma View Post
thanks to training with stronger guys then me, such as ehubbs, i learned a lot and didn't have to make the same mistakes everyone else did. Maybe one day i will completely listen to ehubbs golden advice on over training and never taking an odd number for a squat attempt one day too.
who the hell squats 495 at a meet!!!?!?!?!??!?!?
ehubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:09 PM   #15
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
who the hell squats 495 at a meet!!!?!?!?!??!?!?
Someone who has never squatted more then 475 months and months ago, and 6 weeks into the meet who bombed at 480lbs not once but twice?
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:12 PM   #16
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricka182 View Post

As for deadlifting...I have a friend who is convinced it's a bad, very bad idea to deadlift anything. He says never bend at the waist. I try to explain what a proper deadlift does, and he just shrugs it off.. Another reason why I want to get to a gym, is so I can deadlift..My focus on my next bulk is mostly chest and back.
The way I look at it, the body was built to deadlift. We bend forward for a reason Everything angles that way.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #17
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

This was an awesome quote, I wish everyone that joins a gym would have to read this and understand before they were allowed in the weight room. I love training with stronger people, but at my school I am near the top, which sucks. I see kids use horrible form all the time and then instruct one of their bodies how to complete a rep with bad form.

When I am squatting, I get comments all the time such as wow you go really deep, I can not go that deep. I just laugh it off, because most times I am only training to parallel. If they only knew what an ATG squat was.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post

When I am squatting, I get comments all the time such as wow you go really deep, I can not go that deep. I just laugh it off, because most times I am only training to parallel. If they only knew what an ATG squat was.
I get the same comments on the squats in my videos. But I feel I'm high. I am always borderline parallel.

I guess I've been training in the dungeon too long without the Internet. I never realized so many people did half squats.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #19
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I get the same comments on the squats in my videos. But I feel I'm high. I am always borderline parallel.

I guess I've been training in the dungeon too long without the Internet. I never realized so many people did half squats.
Half Squats are an epidemic at commercial gyms
Old 03-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #20
RickB
Max Brawn
Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

RickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
Half Squats are an epidemic at commercial gyms
I hate seeing that!!!

I see a guy I call Captain Big Weights do what might almost qualify as 1/4 squats. TERRIBLE!
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote