Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Periodization Types (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2345)

BendtheBar 03-11-2010 12:18 PM

Periodization Types

Since Ehubbs brought up Block periodization in another thread, I thought it would make for a good thread if we discussed the various forms of periodization and how we've seen them implemented.

I'll start with a few terms...

NLP = Non-Linear Periodization
LP = Linear Periodization
BP = Block Periodization
Wave Loading

glwanabe 03-11-2010 01:02 PM

I'm not trying to be a thread crapper here with my post, but, let me say this.

I'm not going to have a lot to offer in this thread in the way of any credible scientific discourse on periodization. Not that it's a bad subject to discuss by any means, but it is information that most people can't use properly.

As I keep saying, I like to keep it simple. I only need a few tools to get the job done that I'm trying to do. I have the opinion that far to many people get to caught up in all the latest "scientific research" and jump around to often, to different programs, and concepts. instead of just putting more weight on the bar.

Yes, I've read some research on this topic, but it doesn't really apply to most people. Most people can achieve around 70-80% of natural potential with basic hard work. That last 20-30% is where you need great genes to achieve max natural potential. 10-20% can get further down the road than most. That last 10% is elusive. There are only a handful of people who can do this. They are the elite. There's just not that many of them born. They are the Parks, Grimeks, ect. There's maybe 10% that have the genes to go all the way to the wall, maybe only 5%.

Thats not to say that everybody else should just quit. What they should do, is put this months issue of whatever it is they read down, and pick up more weight today than they did last time they picked up weight. If you don't pick up more weight, then do more reps. Don't worry about much more than this, and keep making progression the key. One rep, or one pound is progression. Just keep going.

The best thing most people can do is to stop overthining the process.

So my question back to all of you is, does it really matter for the majority of people? I don't think so.

BendtheBar 03-11-2010 01:37 PM

HLM is basically a form of NLP using LP. You could also use BP on HLM including LP.

Seriously though, I think most intermediates eventually advance to a more periodized structure to save their bodies. I need to right now, especially with certain movements. This structure or pediodization can be extremely simple or complex, based on the individual.

I like the topic, and sure don't mind debating the validity/need to various forms of periodization.

glwanabe 03-11-2010 01:57 PM

Good post BTB.

Your post brings up another aspect. The need to write new routines.

There are a lot of really good routines that have already been written, and that have proved successful, so why do so many neophytes feel the need to write their own? It would suit them far better to use a proven program.

If you wanted to fly from New York to LA. you wouldn't design your own airplane to do it. You would use whats already available. While lifting weights is not nearly as complex as aeronautical design, it still requires some knowledge to implement it corectly. Otherwise you fail, as has been shown time and again.

Just as the basic body somotypes are not cut and dried, to a your this type, or that type. The various forms of periodization can be found within a single type of program. That brings me back to my original post. Don't overthink the process. Just keep adding weight, and stay on course to your destination.

staying on course, with, lift, eat, sleep, repeat is a better plan than constantly worrying about this or that latest trend, or did I get exactly the right nutrient ratio today. Or, oh crap I had a cookie today. I'm so screwed. I've lost .005 grams of LBM from that cookie.

My routines are all routines that I take from already written programs. They have minor tweaks to them, but if you know where I got them from you would recognize the original program.

My current program is basically a Starting Strength program.
Before that I was using a Casey Butt HLM approach program.

No need to reinvent the wheel.

Grim83 03-11-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glwanabe (Post 36519)
My routines are all routines that I take from already written programs. They have minor tweaks to them, but if you know where I got them from you would recognize the original program.

My current program is basically a Starting Strength program.
Before that I was using a Casey Butt HLM approach program.

No need to reinvent the wheel.

Good point GL, when i write routines, they are basically just variations of other things, my main routine in that big thread on bodybuddies was just a variation of rippetoes starting strength, gpdt is just a variation of edt mixed with bulldozer type stuff, there are only so many ways to do it right, and its all been done before... there is nothing new under the sun.

BendtheBar 03-11-2010 02:57 PM

My routines are simply utter rubbish. I read training theory and routines all day long, but when it comes time to lift I just love playing mad scientist.

The greatest enjoyment I get from a routine is finding a way to push myself one inch from death. It's hard to periodize insanity. It's either there, or it's not.

The routines I really like are designed from the clinically insane, and not the scientists. Reg Park, Doug Hepburn and Paul Anderson were all insane. Heck, Paul's off days were squat sessions.

onetiredkris 03-11-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 36548)
The greatest enjoyment I get from a routine is finding a way to push myself one inch from death. It's hard to periodize insanity. It's either there, or it's not.

You have said insanity/work ethic young grasshopper!!
Them |||| Us .... it is what separates us

BendtheBar 03-11-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onetiredkris (Post 36549)
You have said insanity/work ethic young grasshopper!!
Them |||| Us .... it is what separates us

I'm a slow learner, but I will master this discipline sooner or later.

http://smartasatack.files.wordpress....nunchucks1.jpg

glwanabe 03-11-2010 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 36548)

I like that, a lot!

The bar is not the enemy, but you have to do battle with it, like a reveared opponent. Treat it with respect, and take from it all that you can. When your finished for the day, wipe it down, and put it away till the next time.

glwanabe 03-11-2010 04:33 PM

Mark Ripptoe on controlled studys and lifting.

I'm not interested in doing a controlled study, because I am not an academic and I already know what I need to know. There are lots of academics sitting on their dead tenured asses behind desks in "Exercise Science" departments all over the world, and they need to catch the f*ck up. The fact that they haven't tells you a lot about the state of exercise science today.