Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Back pain/soreness from deadlifts (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2326)

folkprophet 03-09-2010 10:58 PM

Back pain/soreness from deadlifts

I'm posting this in the beginners forum because I'm pretty much a beginner with deadlifts.

How sore should my back get from deadlifts? If I'm getting super sore does it mean my form is wrong or is it just part of deadlifting and pushing hard. I'm not out-of-commission sore. But I definately feel it in my back tonight and I expect I'll feel it even more in the next few days.

jhuse2 03-09-2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by folkprophet (Post 36058)
I'm posting this in the beginners forum because I'm pretty much a beginner with deadlifts.

How sore should my back get from deadlifts? If I'm getting super sore does it mean my form is wrong or is it just part of deadlifting and pushing hard. I'm not out-of-commission sore. But I definately feel it in my back tonight and I expect I'll feel it even more in the next few days.

I am new at DL's as well. I am always sore, but it is more of muscle sore and not bone or joint sore. I did DL's today and I am still a little sore. I will be fine in the morning.

folkprophet 03-09-2010 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhuse2 (Post 36060)
I am new at DL's as well. I am always sore, but it is more of muscle sore and not bone or joint sore. I did DL's today and I am still a little sore. I will be fine in the morning.

Definately a muscle soreness. But like back pain muscle sore vs. other muscle sore. Stiff and tender vs. the standard DOMS you get. Of course it's probably not DOMS yet...that'll come in another day or so.

CallmeKing 03-09-2010 11:10 PM

When I first started doing my back would kill if your form is in check you should be fine got any vids?

folkprophet 03-09-2010 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CallmeKing (Post 36063)
When I first started doing my back would kill if your form is in check you should be fine got any vids?

What?! And let you see my chicken legs?!

Ha ha...j/k.

We're technology deficient. No iphone or anything. I don't have any type of video recorder. Maybe I'll see if someone I know who comes to the gym can record me. That would be a good way to verify with you guys.

CallmeKing 03-09-2010 11:21 PM

My phone sucks too only takes 30 second vids.

onetiredkris 03-10-2010 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by folkprophet (Post 36058)

Just starting with any major compound movement will leave you sore as hell.

Check your form, either by video clip here or a respected source at the gym. And if the form is good....just deal with it. As your DLing experience goes up, the soreness will greatly reduce.

big valsalva 03-10-2010 01:10 AM

Are you doing any assistance work (good mornings, hyperextentions, etc.)? These will help strengthen the lower posterior chain.

Also VERY IMPORTANT! You know your body best. It is important to know the difference between soreness and injury. If your the least bit suspicious of injury, I would advise you to at least knock it off for a week or so. Better yet, see somebody.

Bodybygamma 03-10-2010 01:15 AM

What part of your back is sore? If you are doing it right, your upper back should be more sore then anything else.

nighttrain 03-10-2010 04:24 AM

all good answers.... you have to be careful when it comes to back, believe me when i say you dont wanna screw that thing up!!!

get some one at your gym to check out your form, you know someone who has a little knowledge...

i know when i start up deads after not having done them in a while my back will kick my ass for a few days... im still in some pain from mondays DLs.