Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #21
folkprophet
Brawn
Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

folkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
Doing lots of reps on the deadlifts can go both ways. If you are a touch and go deadlifter then you can at times get knocked loose when the weights smack the ground and end up tweaking something as you get out of position. I would reset after each rep instead of touch and go if you are going to lower the weight and increase the reps. You actually should focus on lifting with your back AND your legs. Again, camera phone, camera, Flip cam, anything to get video would be helpful. Also, if you want to protect your back from injury I would do lots of lower back work on the back extension. Please report back once you've experienced the proverbial Lower Back Pump and all its pain and glory.
Good advice. I always reset. Thought that was the proper way. So that's good.

My wife told me we have video in our phones. Ha ha. Who knew. So I'll record on Fri when we do them again. I'm sure there'll be some problems and it will be great to get feedback...in spite of having to show off my scrawny legs. Hmm...maybe I'll try to wear sweats that day.
folkprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #22
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkprophet View Post
Good advice. I always reset. Thought that was the proper way. So that's good.

My wife told me we have video in our phones. Ha ha. Who knew. So I'll record on Fri when we do them again. I'm sure there'll be some problems and it will be great to get feedback...in spite of having to show off my scrawny legs. Hmm...maybe I'll try to wear sweats that day.
Sweats are mandatory when doing deads. Sweats, heavy socks, and hockey goalie pads. Looking forward to the video.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #23
folkprophet
Brawn

folkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality posts
Default Deadlift video

Alright, here's the vid. First the wife, then me. Quality stinks...but that's what our phones do, so......

Couldn't resist adding a 'soundtrack' of sorts. It's the producer in my I guess.

Thanks for any feedback.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:30 AM   #24
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

Your form looks pretty good. The way your body is built you have the potential to be a very good deadlifter. Please also keep in mind that the below points are coming from someone whose goals (maximal strength) may be different than yours (please fill me in).

-You are forecefully trying to keep your back flat. This is fine, but may not be optimal for lifting maximal weights.

-You drop your hips too far at the beginning. The way you are built you will have better leverage with starting the pull with your hips slighly higher. I realize this may be contrary to what you read about technique, but the deadlift is all about leverage. What works for one person may not work for the next.

- You lower your hips, relax your arms, and bend at the elbow. Flex those triceps! DO not try and start the movement with your bicep contracted at all. This is a bad habit that should be stopped now. Notice where your hips are when the bar breaks the floor. Kind of hard to do in this video, but that is where you want to start the movement.

- With your long arms, in addition to the higher hip position you may benefit from starting with your shins a couple inches further back from the bar.

- Your wife has a very natural fluid technique. In other words, she doesnt look like she is thinking about what she is doing. But she appears to be unlocking her knees at the top.
ehubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #25
folkprophet
Brawn

Quote:
Your form looks pretty good. The way your body is built you have the potential to be a very good deadlifter. Please also keep in mind that the below points are coming from someone whose goals (maximal strength) may be different than yours (please fill me in).
Primary goal is physique and muscle growth...but I believe the best way to get there is through moving up into some heavy lifting.

Quote:
-You are forecefully trying to keep your back flat. This is fine, but may not be optimal for lifting maximal weights.
The only thing I really think about as far as flat back goes is that I keep my head up and my eyes looking forward. The rest of the flat back thing pretty much follows that. If I dropped my eyes/head, my back would not remain quite as straight I suppose. What's your recommendation on this?

Quote:
-You drop your hips too far at the beginning. The way you are built you will have better leverage with starting the pull with your hips slighly higher. I realize this may be contrary to what you read about technique, but the deadlift is all about leverage. What works for one person may not work for the next.
This should correct itself somewhat when I fix the next point (straight arms, flexed tris, etc...) right?

Quote:
- You lower your hips, relax your arms, and bend at the elbow. Flex those triceps! DO not try and start the movement with your bicep contracted at all. This is a bad habit that should be stopped now. Notice where your hips are when the bar breaks the floor. Kind of hard to do in this video, but that is where you want to start the movement.
I'll work on this.

Quote:
- With your long arms, in addition to the higher hip position you may benefit from starting with your shins a couple inches further back from the bar.
Interesting. Okay. I'll try that.

Quote:
- Your wife has a very natural fluid technique. In other words, she doesnt look like she is thinking about what she is doing. But she appears to be unlocking her knees at the top.
Unlocking knees at top is good or bad?

Thank you so much for the advice. I really appreciate it.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #26
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn

ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

Quote:

Unlocking knees at top is good or bad?

Thank you so much for the advice. I really appreciate it.
It's not nescessarily bad unless you are hyperextending at the top. Usually people that bend knees at the top are hyperxtended.

My pleasure.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:17 AM   #27
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn

Quote:
The only thing I really think about as far as flat back goes is that I keep my head up and my eyes looking forward. The rest of the flat back thing pretty much follows that. If I dropped my eyes/head, my back would not remain quite as straight I suppose. What's your recommendation on this?
Head up and back is what you want to do throughout the lift. You can have your head down at the start but as soon as you break the floor, up and back is what you should be doing. There is no real recommendation other than what makes you comfortable.

Quote:
This should correct itself somewhat when I fix the next point (straight arms, flexed tris, etc...) right?
That depends. The point is that dipping your hips to start the movement is wasted energy. When I dip I actually feel the lift more in my lower back because I am out of position for maximal leverage and spend more energy muscling up the lift rather than using my leverages . Try setting yourself up away from the bar a bit and raise your hips about 4 inches from where they are. You want to be tight as a spring when you start the pull off the floor.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #28
folkprophet
Brawn

Quote:
Head up and back is what you want to do throughout the lift. You can have your head down at the start but as soon as you break the floor, up and back is what you should be doing. There is no real recommendation other than what makes you comfortable.

That depends. The point is that dipping your hips to start the movement is wasted energy. When I dip I actually feel the lift more in my lower back because I am out of position for maximal leverage and spend more energy muscling up the lift rather than using my leverages . Try setting yourself up away from the bar a bit and raise your hips about 4 inches from where they are. You want to be tight as a spring when you start the pull off the floor.
Sounds good. I will give this a shot tomorrow when I hit deads again. Thanks again.