Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:25 AM   #11
Shaolinkiwi
Ground Zero Training
Max Brawn
Points: 3,328, Level: 35 Points: 3,328, Level: 35 Points: 3,328, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Shaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributor

I'd agree with most comments posted. I used to get a pretty sore back on these as well. All that changed with 2 things:

1) Corrected Form
2) Lifting Belt - this was a freaking god send.

Before the belt I was limited to around 180lbs, now pulling 310 and improving.

Also work on your lower back with hyper extensions, supermans and good mornings.

T-Alpha Log - CURRENT
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sup...alpha-log.html

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me 1500+! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!
Shaolinkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2010, 06:48 AM   #12
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

Sore is good.
ehubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:26 AM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I would get a video up so we can check form.

When I first started doing heavy squats, my lower back got sore. Over time it grew strong. Now it's never an issue. By the time I started deadlifting, my lower back was already strong.

Sore is generally good, but a form check never hurts.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #14
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

BBG is right. However, your lower back can definitely me the most sore after your deadlift virginity has been taken. Its a new movement and your body isn't use to recruiting such muscle fibers. Form is important, but supplementing with lower back assistive exercises is just as important to get those erector spinae ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
What part of your back is sore? If you are doing it right, your upper back should be more sore then anything else.
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:40 AM   #15
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

especially as a beginner, don't use a lifting belt until you hit that 85%-1Rm range..this will help bring your back strength along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolinkiwi View Post
I'd agree with most comments posted. I used to get a pretty sore back on these as well. All that changed with 2 things:

1) Corrected Form
2) Lifting Belt - this was a freaking god send.

Before the belt I was limited to around 180lbs, now pulling 310 and improving.

Also work on your lower back with hyper extensions, supermans and good mornings.
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #16
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn

ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

x2 on the video.

On another note, you should really make sure that your glutes are firing properly and are a main focus of strengthening as they are a very important part in executing the lift with minimal risk of back injury. Wide stance pull throughs, and most especially Pause Squats would be two exercises I would pick in that regard. Actually, pause squats cure cancer. So you should do them always.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #17
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Bit OT, but nevertheless ... do you think doing Bottom-up squats (brooks kubik style) will help with deadlifting?

To the OP, my case is similar to shaolinkiwi. Went up from 185 to 315 fast enough. Lower back soreness is still an issue, but seems to get better the more I deadlift. Probably the same sort of soreness you get starting any compound, but you feel it a bit more due to the relatively heavier weights you use.

I am not sure about the belt part though since I am not using lifting belts at the moment. Might give it a shot some day.

Last edited by kitarpyar; 03-10-2010 at 09:25 AM.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
Bit OT, but nevertheless ... do you think doing Bottom-up squats (brooks kubik style) will help with deadlifting?
I think most squat movements help with the deadlift.

The movements that help my deadlift the most are box squats, front squats and good mornings.

I also do pause-style squats when I'm warning up to grease the wheels. And so far I'm cancer free!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-10-2010 at 10:17 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #19
folkprophet
Brawn
Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

folkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality posts

Thank you all for the advice. I will try to get a video...though I'm not sure how...but I'll think on it. Someone I know must have something.

Anyhow, just as an update, the back is less sore this morning than last nigh. So that's good I guess. Even then, wasn't too bad...I'm just worried because it's back. Seems like deadlifts in general go against everything they always teach you about lifting. "Lift with your legs!"

As far as injury vs. soreness and being aware of myself in that regard...the back soreness at all is new enough that it's hard to distinguish, and that's part of my paranoia.

I do think that I will keep my deadlift weight a bit lower for now and work on increasing reps vs. pushing the weight up and up and up right away. That way I can concentrate on form, etc... as I develop the strength and conditioning I need.

Thanks again all.
folkprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #20
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn

Doing lots of reps on the deadlifts can go both ways. If you are a touch and go deadlifter then you can at times get knocked loose when the weights smack the ground and end up tweaking something as you get out of position. I would reset after each rep instead of touch and go if you are going to lower the weight and increase the reps. You actually should focus on lifting with your back AND your legs. Again, camera phone, camera, Flip cam, anything to get video would be helpful. Also, if you want to protect your back from injury I would do lots of lower back work on the back extension. Please report back once you've experienced the proverbial Lower Back Pump and all its pain and glory.