Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Contradictions in bodybuilding-ology (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2201)

folkprophet 02-28-2010 07:26 PM

Contradictions in bodybuilding-ology

As I've learned more and more, I've learned that I have more to learn, and moreover, I realized that that which I have learned may or may not be right.

It seems that for some bodybuilders a lot of the contratictions you hear out there are moot...because either their natural genetics or goals or something allow them to be less concerned with the OC nature of contemporary thinking. But when you get into it and really dig into the idea of success, and the OC follows...well...how can one be OC when there are two conflicting dogmas that are both "well established", "proven", methods for success. I know that some contradictions can be considered logically (though logical idealogy isn't always in sync) and I know that some have been theoretically "proven" one way or another (though "proof" is pretty hard to swallow when it's always hearsay unless you did the study yourself) but in some ways, these contradictions are inevitable because the reality is that bodybuilding, although based on science, is not simply math.

So this thread is to list and discuss contradictions in bodybuilding theories that we've all heard.

Here are a few I came up with off the top of my head. This is not exhaustive of even what I've heard/studied, so as I think of more I'll add them.

Eat X grams of protein per bodyweight -vs- Don't eat that much protien you can't process it

High reps help you build muscle -vs.- High reps don't help you build muscle

Do cardio -vs.- Don't do cardio

Do deadlifts -vs.- Never do deadlifts

Drink a Gallon of water a day -vs.- don't drink a gallon of water a day

Eat 6 times a day -vs.- It doesn't matter, eat once a day for all it matters

Always do post workout sugar -vs.- Don't do post workout sugar

Workout each muscle once a week -vss- Workout each muscle twice (or more) a week

Milk=bad -vs.- Milk=good

Use artficial sweeteners -vs.- Don't use artificial sweeteners

What other contradicitons have you heard, what do you believe, what arguments have you heard/learned for what side, what studies have shown what, etc., etc...?

BendtheBar 02-28-2010 07:31 PM

My favorite...

Low reps and heavy weight builds muscle (Max-OT) -vs.- moderate reps (8 to 12) builds muscle -vs.- a multitude of rep ranges is required to build muscle (Dr. Squat).

jslep 02-28-2010 07:51 PM

no fat vs. "good fats" while on a cut (i'll let you know in 12 weeks where i really stand on it)

BendtheBar 02-28-2010 08:08 PM

Train using splits -vs- train full body.

jslep 02-28-2010 08:10 PM

low dollar supps vs. high dollar supps

folkprophet 02-28-2010 08:17 PM

Sodium will bloat you -vs.- the body regulates sodium

jslep 02-28-2010 08:44 PM

^^will also let you know how i feel about that one in 12 weeks

folkprophet 02-28-2010 09:37 PM

Another one

And this one I'm curious on.

Never eat fat with your carb refeed -vs.- always eat fat with your carb refeed

folkprophet 02-28-2010 09:52 PM

Thought of another

Don't eat carbs after such-n-such o'clock -vs.- Don't not eat carbs... (yeah...I know...double negative...but you get what I mean)

folkprophet 03-01-2010 11:22 AM

Do cardio -vs.- Don't do cardio

Okay...so...here's my first opinion/response on the above issues. Cardio.

I'm definately in the Do Cardio school. I believe in cardio for health and fat control.

I do think if one were really trying to bulk to the max that cardio might be problematic for that. Personally, I think bulking to the 'max' is like cutting to the 'max'. Extremes are dangerous. So I buy the light cardio route even when bulking.

I do not buy the 'limit your cardio or you'll hinder your cutting' idea. I think if you're cutting, relatively speaking, the more the better, the more intense the better. Obviously anything can be taken too far. But the idealogies stating 'limit your cardio to 30 min a day' and 'don't ever do more than 45 min in a cardio session' etc., etc., are OCD paranoia. I don't buy them.

That's my thinking on the subject. Yours?