Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkprophet View Post
Okay...so...here's my first opinion/response on the above issues. Cardio.

I'm definately in the Do Cardio school. I believe in cardio for health and fat control.
I agree that cardio should be done for health. It also boosts the metabolism, and this boost becomes more prevalent when you start to age.

I don't believe in too much cardio though. Just personal opinion. Save the joints, stoke the metabolic fire, get in and out.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #12
folkprophet
Brawn
Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

folkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I don't believe in too much cardio though. Just personal opinion. Save the joints, stoke the metabolic fire, get in and out.
As a general rule, absolutely. I agree. For a specific individual with a specific goal, I can see exceptions being viable.
folkprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:12 PM   #13
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

i believe cardio would have alot of rules to it. i think much like a goal to either powerlift or look like you should model underwear would have a different style of lifting so would be the cardio that would go along with it. just my thoughts.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #14
folkprophet
Brawn

folkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post
i believe cardio would have alot of rules to it. i think much like a goal to either powerlift or look like you should model underwear would have a different style of lifting so would be the cardio that would go along with it. just my thoughts.
Hot chick: "Do you model underwear? You should."

Me: (to self) "Yes! I finally made it."

Wait....*blink blink* Sorry. I was daydreaming again.

Concerning the different style of lifting/cardio...yes and no. Depends on SO many other factors. Genetics being the big one. If I ate 6000 cal a day and lifted like a monster for years and years I still wouldn't be that big. I measured my wrist the other day... 6.5". I am Spartacus...er...I mean...Ectomorph.

I look at some of the other body stats...5'8" guys with arms the same size as mine and less muscular looks in their chest -- and their chests are measuring 42" or something. I'm struggling to hit 40". My ribcage is smaller. No getting around it. I will never be Schwarzneggarian. 'sokay...I don't want to be. But I know that to hit 42" in my chest I'm gonna have to eat like a "normal" guy does to get a 48" chest.

Same goes with cardio. Everyone's metabolism is different and bone structure and hormones and etc... So what works for one ain't always gonna be a rule for another.

I'm not disagreeing with you overall - not by a long shot. Just saying that your comment is best understood as a general principle...not as a rule (which is, I'm sure, how you meant it.)

In other words...some who want to look like an underwear model may have to lift and eat with the mindset of a powerlifter to get there.

Hmmm....I suppose the opposite would likely never be true...some who want to be a power lifter have to eat with the mindset of an underwear model??? Ha ha ha. Not likely.

Thanks for the input.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #15
folkprophet
Brawn

Default Eat 6 times a day -vs.- It doesn't matter, eat once a day for all it matters

Eating six times a day is generally considered (as far as I understand it) inaccurate. However, it is still the predominant method for bodybuilders it seems.

My thoughts.

1. I buy the metabolism thing. I don't think the studies done that have shown it not to matter have been anywhere near exaustive or comprehensive enough. I don't think it makes a big difference. But I buy it as a a slight advantage. I don't buy it as a make it or break it concept.

2. Regardless of the potential benefit to metabolism, I buy eating six times a day for lifters because it's HARD to eat enough if you don't. Even on a cutting style diet. 2500 calories a day in fast food=nothing. 2500 calories a day in chicken breast and brown rice is a TON. Eating that much in three sittings is painful. Smaller portions of that kind of food are just easier to deal with. If you're bulking, the advantage to eating more often is obvious.

I think this is one of those principles that a lot of folk put more stock into than, perhaps, it deserves...but I see enough advantage that I will continue to eat 6 times a day for the rest of my life. Well...at least until I'm 90. When I'm 90 I'm gonna give it all up, get fat and play cards all day.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #16
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkprophet View Post
I measured my wrist the other day... 6.5". I am Spartacus...er...I mean...Ectomorph.
Fear not ecto. I have 6.4" wrists, and was as skinny, weak and pathetic as it gets.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-01-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #17
folkprophet
Brawn

Default Drink a Gallon of water a day -vs.- don't drink a gallon of water a day

Drinking lots of water may or may not help you cut as far as 'flushing' water from your body...though I tend to think it would help. It may or may not help as far as building muscle. I just don't know on these things.

What I do know is that when I drink a good amount of water it helps me not have cravings when cuttings. So I say yes to a good amount of water. Beyond that...I'm not really sure on this one.

I know I have a problem with the 'pure water is the only water that counts'. thing. Why the blank wouldn't water in juice or crystal light or in a protein shake count? It's still H20.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Eat right after a workout -vs.- wait at least an hour after a workout to eat.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:58 AM   #19
Kpettitt
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Brawn
Points: 2,298, Level: 28 Points: 2,298, Level: 28 Points: 2,298, Level: 28
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Kpettitt is a consistent contributorKpettitt is a consistent contributorKpettitt is a consistent contributorKpettitt is a consistent contributorKpettitt is a consistent contributorKpettitt is a consistent contributorKpettitt is a consistent contributorKpettitt is a consistent contributorKpettitt is a consistent contributorKpettitt is a consistent contributorKpettitt is a consistent contributor

Eat before your workout vs. workout fasted

For me- I workout fasted. I find that with a belly full of food I feel sluggish and pulled down, BUT people continue to tell me that I need to eat a soild carb/protein meal before lifting.

IMO- if you are making gains and seeing results either way- why would it be wrong to workout fasted?
My comments have not been evaluated by the FDA, do not constitute medical advice, and are not official or authorized comments by Anabolic Addiction, LLC.
kpettitt@anabolicaddiction.net
Kpettitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:08 AM   #20
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpettitt View Post
Eat before your workout vs. workout fasted

For me- I workout fasted. I find that with a belly full of food I feel sluggish and pulled down, BUT people continue to tell me that I need to eat a soild carb/protein meal before lifting.

IMO- if you are making gains and seeing results either way- why would it be wrong to workout fasted?
Good topic. I am not a day eater. I rarely eat much more than 500 to 800 calories during the day. I actually find that I train stronger and longer like this. My cutting diet is all whey protein prior to 5 pm. And I am smashing personal records.

I sometimes throw fruit or veggies into the mix, but never heavy meals. And never a heavier meal anywhere near a workout.