Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default My Interview with Natural Bodybuilder Sean Sullivan

Interview With Sean "Sully" Sullivan

Interview With Sean "Sully" Sullivan | Muscle & Strength

Quote:
I find that naturals respond best to less intensity and more frequency. Look at some of the greats from the 50's and 60's. Most of Steve Reeves' physique was built on a full body program. Not big enough? Ok, how about Reg Park? Then Larry Scott, who only did split workouts after he was Mr. America. Chuck Sipes only did splits for powerlifting, never bodybuilding.

Want more? Ok, back in Venice in the 80's I noticed all those star bodybuilders that had those long, incredible programs in Muscle and Fitness were only in the gym 3 times a week in the off-season. I once asked Don Ross about it and he told me it was for two reasons, one you grow better, and two, when you're off steroids you can't recover or grow well on the other programs. Back then cycles were 8-12 weeks, three or four times a year - unlike today. I was never into any drugs so it just seemed like the best way to go. In fact I did almost all full body or an "A"/"B" split rotation through most of my training years.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I like this interview Steve. Lots of good stuff here to digest. Gotta go back for a 2nd helping after while.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
I like this interview Steve. Lots of good stuff here to digest. Gotta go back for a 2nd helping after while.
Sean is always interesting to read. And he has competed 70 times! Man, that's a lot of cutting diets.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Some of what he talks about as far as having a Brotherhood, and people willing to help each other, kinda reminds me of this place.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Some of what he talks about as far as having a Brotherhood, and people willing to help each other, kinda reminds me of this place.
It made me feel good about the direction of MAB. I'm really glad you feel that way about this forum. I hope we can always keep it on these tracks.

To be honest, I like it for selfish reasons. I know I can come here and post anything and not get slammed by some wayward "internet guru." Sean mentioned that he rarely posts on forums anymore, for a lot of the same reasons.

After March I am thinking of adopting one of his dieting approaches...2 weeks cutting, one week at maintenance...or something like that.

Btw, I love Sean's comments about Gironda ripping on his ears.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Quote:
It made me feel good about the direction of MAB. I'm really glad you feel that way about this forum. I hope we can always keep it on these tracks.
No hope, WILL.

Quote:
To be honest, I like it for selfish reasons. I know I can come here and post anything and not get slammed by some wayward "internet guru." Sean mentioned that he rarely posts on forums anymore, for a lot of the same reasons.
Thats why I also don't spend much if any time anywhere else. To many self proclaimed Guru's. I'mnot a shy person, but I don't have time for BS either.

Quote:
After March I am thinking of adopting one of his dieting approaches...2 weeks cutting, one week at maintenance...or something like that.
My cut at the end of this year is going to be gradual. I only skimmed through the E-book link but there seems to be a lot of good info there.

Quote:
Btw, I love Sean's comments about Gironda ripping on his ears.
I can respect smart-alek comments.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
No hope, WILL.

Thats why I also don't spend much if any time anywhere else. To many self proclaimed Guru's. I'mnot a shy person, but I don't have time for BS either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
To be honest, I like it for selfish reasons. I know I can come here and post anything and not get slammed by some wayward "internet guru.
you guys have mentioned one of the reasons i've pretty much left bodystats.com, all the guru's, yeah i write, but i dont claim to be some expert, just trying to help others steer clear of some of my idiot moves
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
you guys have mentioned one of the reasons i've pretty much left bodystats.com, all the guru's, yeah i write, but i dont claim to be some expert, just trying to help others steer clear of some of my idiot moves
I'm passionate about lifting, and I know you and most everyone else here is passionate as well. But truth be told, I learn every day. I am completely humbled each day by the info I learn from other bodybuilders. And this info leads to a lot of common themes, this being the most common theme:

"Everything works, just not for everyone."

When we respect each other, and allow each other to express opinions without being slammed, be build trust. This also creates an environment where we can learn from each other, and where...it's ok to be wrong.

Anyway, not trying to get overly-sappy.

I think squats are essential. But I also know that if I couldn't squat, I would find a way to make my legs grow with leg presses. By allowing each other to make their own decisions, and learn from their training approaches, they are better equipped to make future training decisions.

If I call someone an 'effin idiot for not squatting, what value am I adding to a conversation? None. If someone doesn't want to squat, then I will encourage them to kill themselves with leg presses. It's really as simple as that.

Sure, we have to pull people off the railroad tracks now and then - when they fall into bad habits or practices - such as working biceps 4 times per week, or doing all isolation exercises while eating 1500 calories per day. But as long as they're "mostly" on the right track, to each his own.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
rippednmichigan
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn
Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: EFX K-Otic Orange Ambush
rippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beast

Sean Sullivan is the man!! PERIOD, guy put's in the work and does what he can to help individuals in need. He is personally giving his time to help me achieve my dream of bringing home a title! Be on the look out for a new and improved rippednmichigan!
User owns 3x $30 I\'ll Pump You Up cash User owns 1x $20 I\'ll Pump You Up cash

Pure-Potent-Drug Free

http://allamericanefx.com/

Certified Personal Trainer
Training and Nutrition at
www.flexfitnessandnutrition.com

"Take control and push your limits!"
rippednmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:13 PM   #10
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

That's great Ripped!
Trevor Lane is online now   Reply With Quote