Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Community Article - Maximizing Muscle Gains

Community Article - Maximizing Muscle Gains

Don't hold back your opinion, even if you disagree with another lifter...and as always, keep the conversation respectful.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
How do you maximize muscle gains?

What training and diet approaches are best for maximizing muscle gains the first 3 years of lifting?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

2D Knock-Out Champion! Lost for Words - Football Teams Champion!
Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

i think for diet for sure alot of newbies see these lean diets in muscle mags and such and don't fatten up enuff at first to really get the muscles built. personally i wish when i started i would have just tried to bulk constantly instead of worrin how ripped my muscles looked. then in 2-3 yrs time i could have leaned and been alot bigger.

for rep ranges i would stay around 6-8. i see alot of young kids now doin all high reps and none of them compound movements. two inpaticular at the gym i go to i have noticed for a couple months now i see them doin shoulders alot and they use the smith for seated military press all high rep and in this time i don't think i have seen them increase weight at all. now maybe they don't want to but i think they do but just can't. i would make sure my son's and daughter if they decide to start never forget the big three bench, squats, and deads and if you can do more than 10.......put some more on there.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
onetiredkris
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

Im pretty much going to ditto jslep

I think i owe my current status to dirty bulking in the beginning. Beginners underestimate how much calories are needed to really start growing.

Rep ranges i keep varied but never over 12, so that they can improve every aspect of muscle work.
Key compounds: 10-12, 6-8, 6-8, 4-6, 2-3
Then my secondary movements, normally isolations 8-10, 8-10, 8-10, 8-10, 8-10

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Shaolinkiwi
Ground Zero Training
Max Brawn
Points: 3,328, Level: 35 Points: 3,328, Level: 35 Points: 3,328, Level: 35

Shaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributor

I'm gonna ring the same bell. Diet 100% Diet.

Noobs don't know how to eat and what to eat in order to maxamise muscle growth.

Secondly compound lifts and minimal isolation lifts. Nothing puts on size and strength faster for a noob than working the core lifts.

Thirdly when to rest / cycle big lifts i.e. taking some time off. They get so edger with the progress they are making that rest falls to the way side.

Cliffs:
Eat Big, Eat Correctly
Compound lifts and more compound lifts
Rest / Decent nights sleep

Great minds think alike eh

T-Alpha Log - CURRENT
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sup...alpha-log.html

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me 1500+! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!
Shaolinkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
jslep
Max Brawn

jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolinkiwi View Post
Great minds think alike eh
i like to think so but mine is so clouded by the destruction of all those beer bongs and shotguns i did in the past sometimes......................

......what were we talkin bout again
Old 02-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I see beginners being advised to eat 300 to 500 calories over maintenance, and primarily all clean diets. They are also often provided with PCF ratios, etc.

My opinion is that beginners should avoid these pitfalls, and just eat very big. because of paranoia, far too many beginners undereat. And while trying to eat all clean is a noble goal, if is very hard to eat clean and get enough calories, especially if you are 18 or 19 with a fast metabolism.

And what about the lifter that packs on fat easily? Well, you have two options:

A) Limit what you eat and slow the rate of gains.
B) Eat big, pack on some fat, and cut when the muscle building is done.

One of the main problems with modern bodybuilding diets is that "Joe Forum" is advising a cutting diet, OCD approach to someone who doesn't have a clue as to what their maintenance levels are. It is better to reverse engineer calories, and work down, then to spend months undereating and waste your time.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:42 AM   #7
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Very good responses so far. Eating clean has nothing to do with getting big. Big Macs have everything to do with getting big.

Training method: No matter what the noob wishes to accomplish in the end, the first three years should be dedicated to mastering the core lifts. Everything else branches off from the basic three or four lifts. A simple Starting Strength or madcow style approach is best. If you want to be a bodybuilder, powerlifter, or football player, you've got to get big and strong first. Once you're big, you can workout the details later. I think gl once said it best, "You can't whittle a toothpick."

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
jslep
Max Brawn

GL is like a wise sensei sometimes with all his comments.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
I think gl once said it best, "You can't whittle a toothpick."
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post
GL is like a wise sensei sometimes with all his comments.
Thanks guys.

I've been wanting to reply to this thread, but everytime I get in here, I have to go before I can post.

Maximizing muscle gains is just like giving pleasure to a Women.

You don't some fancy complicated routine, just stick to the basics, and keep hitting them on a consistant basis. Starting one plan, and never giving it a chance to develop, then moving on to another plan, then trying yet another plan will only result in no gains, and frustration at not achieving anything.

Keep the pressure on the core moves, always making things harder, and you will see results.

at work now, gotta go, back later.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
jslep
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Thanks guys.

I've been wanting to reply to this thread, but everytime I get in here, I have to go before I can post.

Maximizing muscle gains is just like giving pleasure to a Women.

You don't some fancy complicated routine, just stick to the basics, and keep hitting them on a consistant basis. Starting one plan, and never giving it a chance to develop, then moving on to another plan, then trying yet another plan will only result in no gains, and frustration at not achieving anything.

Keep the pressure on the core moves, always making things harder, and you will see results.

at work now, gotta go, back later.
see what i mean!