Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default John Grimek and Muscle Confusion

John did alternate the structure of his programs every 8 to 12 weeks, from what I understand. But I don't believe his changes were anything dramatic - but I could be wrong. I don't believe he was shocking his system with vastly differently approaches every 3 months, so it surely doesn't seem like muscle confusion in the modern sense.

Quote:
John Grimekís training routine wasnít complicated. He stuck with the basics, and rarely rotated exercises. ...John Grimek knew that the basics worked. He didnít need muscle confusion, or new routines every 8-12 weeks. As long as his program was working, there was no need to change it.

John Grimekís primary exercises included presses, dumbbell presses, squats, power cleans, deadlifts, snatches, barbell bent over rowing and curls. He did very little else, and was always focused on adding more weight to the bar, eating enough food, and getting plenty of rest.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

this is a huge pet peeve for me, you cant anticipate when your workout will quit working, so the best method is to keep at it until you cant add weight then look for a few small changes to make
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
this is a huge pet peeve for me, you cant anticipate when your workout will quit working, so the best method is to keep at it until you cant add weight then look for a few small changes to make
I agree Grim. I've never really slowed on bench or squats, or really on any major compound lift, so I've never seen the point in trying to confuse myself.

My definition of slowing may be different from others. If I can get one more rep in at least every 3 weeks, I don't want to change anything.

Some lifts I have dropped in weight due to injuries, but that's a different issue.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
Grim83
Max Brawn

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I agree Grim. I've never really slowed on bench or squats, or really on any major compound lift, so I've never seen the point in trying to confuse myself.

My definition of slowing may be different from others. If I can get one more rep in at least every 3 weeks, I don't want to change anything.

Some lifts I have dropped in weight due to injuries, but that's a different issue.
baring an injury, i agree if you can add a rep or a few pounds at least once in three weeks then keep hitting it. This was something i had to answer repeatedly in my thread over on bb.com, i blame it on P90x and Weider.

I think my next article will be on this

No Bullshit no problems

Old 02-13-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I dislike the terms, muscle confusion, and shocking.

I think they portray an unreal sense of what you can, or need to do.

I try to always remember a few basic rules, and train by them.

Keep it simple
Progression is king.

I find that as I learn more about what I'm doing I use fewer moves overall. It's the quality of how you use the tools in your toolbox that makes a difference in your end product.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
baring an injury, i agree if you can add a rep or a few pounds at least once in three weeks then keep hitting it. This was something i had to answer repeatedly in my thread over on bb.com, i blame it on P90x and Weider.

I think my next article will be on this
One thing no one talks about with regards to muscle confusion, and the desire to confuse, is the slowing of natural gains.

I see many experienced natural lifters putting in a lot of effort to confuse muscles into new growth. But the reality is that new most of new growth comes with heavy compounds, and once you get strong on these, you probably have a fair share of muscle mass and there isn't much new growth to be had.

The last 10 pounds of muscle can be the hardest, but I believe they come more from patience and persistence more than a specific program. Sure, a shocking program like GVT might add a couple pounds of muscle for an experienced lifter, but the more you dip into the well, the less you have to draw from.

That's why I'm for a more aggressive approach to gains for beginners, and for bigger eating. Maximize out the gate with big weights and big food.

I know it's been said before, but for the average individuals...it's shocking enough if they just get their arse in the gym 52 weeks a year and push for progression.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
Grim83
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
I dislike the terms, muscle confusion, and shocking.

I think they portray an unreal sense of what you can, or need to do.

I try to always remember a few basic rules, and train by them.

Keep it simple
Progression is king.

I find that as I learn more about what I'm doing I use fewer moves overall. It's the quality of how you use the tools in your toolbox that makes a difference in your end product.
exactly, a master carpenter can use the same hammer as a DIY person, the difference is in skill refinement

No Bullshit no problems

Old 02-13-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
One thing no one talks about with regards to muscle confusion, and the desire to confuse, is the slowing of natural gains.

I see many experienced natural lifters putting in a lot of effort to confuse muscles into new growth. But the reality is that new most of new growth comes with heavy compounds, and once you get strong on these, you probably have a fair share of muscle mass and there isn't much new growth to be had.

The last 10 pounds of muscle can be the hardest, but I believe they come more from patience and persistence more than a specific program. Sure, a shocking program like GVT might add a couple pounds of muscle for an experienced lifter, but the more you dip into the well, the less you have to draw from.

That's why I'm for a more aggressive approach to gains for beginners, and for bigger eating. Maximize out the gate with big weights and big food.

I know it's been said before, but for the average individuals...it's shocking enough if they just get their arse in the gym 52 weeks a year and push for progression.

^^^^^^^^

I don't think this point is talked about enough. Why would it want to be talked about? You have basically summed up, and thrown out thousands of pages of text and magazine articles that sold magazine issues, based around stimulating growth with "NEW programs" It took you all of 5 paragraphs to say it.

The truth is, there is very little that is new, or that needs to be reinvented. Patience and persistance, and continually hitting the big moves, will move the mountain.

Don't forget. this was created by water flowing over rock, but it took time.

Last edited by glwanabe; 02-13-2010 at 10:05 AM.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #9
RickB
Max Brawn
Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

RickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good start

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
^^^^^^^^

I don't think this point is talked about enough. Why would it want to be talked about? You have basically summed up, and thrown out thousands of pages of text and magazine articles that sold magazine issues, based around stimulating growth with "NEW programs" It took you all of 5 paragraphs to say it.

The truth is, there is very little that is new, or that needs to be reinvented. Patience and persistance, and continually hitting the big moves, will move the mountain.

Don't forget. this was created by water flowing over rock, but it took time.

Ditto and Ditto!
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
onetiredkris
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

I want to type something up, but i feel terrible.

muscle adaption = key

confusion = myth

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote