Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #11
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

I wrote this on a different thread but it applies to here:

Muscle Confusion and Isolation exercises I have a joke, the right arm's bicep looks at the left arm's bicep doing triceps extensions, confused and curious he asks his counter part, "why the hell are you doing triceps extensions for your bicep growth"? the left bicep replies " MUSCLE CONFUSION, my body won't know whats coming!"

This is my view and take on that word. To me you must target weakness and bring them up to par with your strengths. It is no so much confusing the muscle as the popular term goes, but as much as bringing a neglected muscle to snuff. Muscles do in fact build tolerances, and you must overcome them to keep making progress however, I still don't feel confusion is the best word.

Why do deadlifts, squats, overhead presses, and bench presses always work , and why are compound movements considered the best Because they leave no muscle fibers untouched. Some additional work may be done, but these exercises, correct and expose muscular imbalances. However once those imbalances are exposed you must take the proper steps to fix them.Many factors come into play:

-Sometimes compound movements are too hard on beginners, and stabilization muscles have not been developed.

-Smaller muscles in my opinion need higher reps then bigger muscles.

-Underdeveloped or neglected muscles need more focus than "show" muscles.

-Sometimes unilateral work must be done. Some time rehab is necessary. There is no one universal answer to this.

For the most part though I agree with you can't go wrong with the basics.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

You are wise beyond your years BBG. I learn something every time you post.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:22 PM   #13
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Why do deadlifts, squats, overhead presses, and bench presses always work , and why are compound movements considered the best Because they leave no muscle fibers untouched. Some additional work may be done, but these exercises, correct and expose muscular imbalances. However once those imbalances are exposed you must take the proper steps to fix them.Many factors come into play:
I like this paragraph, and agree with you for the most part. For arguements sake.

There are two ways to deal with those imbalances. Continue to work the compound until those weak areas catch up, or isolate them.

If you isolate them, do you then have to break all of the muscles groups into isolation and work seperately while you strenghten all aspects of the chain, before you can put the chain back together again? Westside style

If you continue to work the whole as a compound it may appear that your stalled, but infact your letting the system build it's weak spot so that at the end the compound movement is balanced in it's strength needs to perform the task. Stick with the basics style

Quote:
-Sometimes compound movements are too hard on beginners, and stabilization muscles have not been developed.
Beginners are weak regardless, so using lighter weights and working form can be an approach taken here. Their strength will move up quickly until true weak links are exposed. Now were back at the first scenario.

Quote:
-Sometimes unilateral work must be done. Some time rehab is necessary. There is no one universal answer to this.
Agreed.

Quote:
For the most part though I agree with you can't go wrong with the basics
Agreed.

Last edited by glwanabe; 02-13-2010 at 05:24 PM.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #14
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
You are wise beyond your years BBG. I learn something every time you post.
x2 i love reading your stuff.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I'm about to confuse my legs by putting weight on my back

Old 05-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #16
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I'm about to confuse my legs by putting weight on my back
LMFAO That made me chuckle hard!
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #17
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Slightly unrelated, but has to do with Grimeck... I was reading about "his" curl & press and I think I'm gonna throw this down in an upcoming workout.
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #18
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Lane View Post
Slightly unrelated, but has to do with Grimeck... I was reading about "his" curl & press and I think I'm gonna throw this down in an upcoming workout.
I read about that also a few weeks ago and I have thrown them in and I really like them. My arms were torn up the day after I did these, and they are a fun lift since I feel like I am curling close to 200 pounds.

They also hit some different muscles too, hit the rear delts pretty hard.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #19
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
LMFAO That made me chuckle hard!
Mission accomplished!