Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #21
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

This thread is crazy there is so much good information in here, I need to read it again and absorb more of it. I agree with you guys though, doing 5x10 is completely different then 1x50.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #22
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Here's some more food for thought:

Muscle Fibers and Weight training

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #23
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post
after reading this i'm just kinda thinkin to myself what weight could i bench maybe 50 times. i personally think if i were to train at it for a little while i could get 135 for 50 reps. now if i were to say right now my 1 rep max is 300lbs (its somewhere around that) and i can bench 135x30 and i increase that by 20 reps i don't believe my 1 rep max would increase really at all. so the question is how much stronger have i really become.
I tested this myself this year, though at lower rep ranges. By moving 275 from 3 reps to 9 reps, my bench max moved up more quickly then ever before. Granted, this was a heavy weight, but the result was surprising. On Friday I slapped 315 on the bench and was ramming out reps like they were nothing.

I'm not sure how effective ramming 135 for reps would be for bench max, but I'm pretty sure if you used a weight about 60 to 70% of your 1RM, and just tried to increase reps up to 30, that your bench max would go up faster than you think.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #24
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Here's some more food for thought:

Muscle Fibers and Weight training
I believe that rep range doesn't matter as much for beginner to intermediates with regards to strength gains. This meta-analysis is an interesting read, but I'm not sure how it applies to advanced lifters.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #25
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

he did have the part in there where another study found that in squats,leg press, and extensions the group doin 3-5 reps had significantly increased 1RM more than those usin 9-11 reps. but size between the two groups was still relatively close. to me i take from that in beginners size increases will come with either training method but in advanced lifters i would bet that those size measurements would change if both groups stuck to what they were doin and the group doin 3-5 reps would be a h#ll of alot stronger. i kinda think of it like the hotrod in the garage. sure it looks nice but how does it do at the track. i want my body to look good, but i also want it to perform(not in the bedroom) in the gym. i like the feeling i get from liftin heavier weights than someone else in the gym who may look the same size as me.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #26
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

From an article:

Quote:
1-5 Reps lead to a maximum increase in relative strength and myofibril recruitment.

6-8 Reps produce the best medium between myofibril and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

9-12 Reps increase sarcoplasmic hypertrophy at the maximum rate.

>15 Reps you move into the range of muscular endurance where hypertrophy gains slow.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #27
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Anyone have C&P's take on hypertrophy? I don't have time to research atm.

Edit: NM. I'm way tired right now and forgot the reference was from the C&P interview:

Quote:
Next, bodybuilders need to drop their belief in the 1-5 reps for strength, 6-12 for hypertrophy, and 12+ for endurance. It’s ****ing preposterous.
Clinical evidence supports that, but the vast majority of those studies are conducted on machines, with detrained ****ers who’ve never lifted before.
Of COURSE they’re not going to get results from singles. They’re ****ing weak, they’re on machines, and they generally suck.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 02-18-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #28
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

My mentor back in the day ('86) instructed me to do:

2 sets @ 4 to 6 reps
2 sets @ 8 to 10 reps
2 sets @ 12 to 15 reps

Do you believe it's better to periodize these approaches, or to do them all in one workout in a more linear fashion?

Old 02-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #29
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

The multiple rep range approach is something that has been around for a while, and I generally like the idea behind it.

I don't believe that you need to do all three in a workout, but hitting two of them is becoming something that I really like. I like going heavy, and then performing a high rep finish set.

As a way to hit all three ranges. you could do something like this.

5x5-8
1x20 finish

Start at 5x5 and add reps till your doing 5x8. Always finishing with the higher rep finish set.

I don't think this approach is something that needs to be used with every muscle, and a high rep finish number can and should vary depending on the indivdual muscle that is being used.

There are lots of ways to make things work, and you never know what might make your body grow unless you try it.

Last edited by glwanabe; 02-18-2010 at 04:24 PM.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #30
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post

I don't think this approach is something that needs to be used with every muscle, and a high rep finish number can and should vary depending on the indivdual muscle that is being used.
Good post GL. I made most of my gains using the above style. But - with a caveat - I'm not claiming that the above approach was as instrumental as my desire for more weight.