Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:51 AM   #1
tim
Just dont care any more
Uber Brawn
Points: 856, Level: 15 Points: 856, Level: 15 Points: 856, Level: 15
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

tim is off to a good starttim is off to a good starttim is off to a good starttim is off to a good start
Default Want To Start Again

Well I want to start lifting weights again but I'm not sure how to start. I have a back injury which pretty much everyone knows about heres a bit from my private log post

"My back injury as of right now only has 50% certainity and the other 50% they couldn't finish the testing because they fired me and I couldn't afford to continue the testing.

I tore my muscle at the job I had while moving a 225lbs steel box. The first docter gave me meds and two weeks off needless to say when I went back they gave me an even heavier box to move. Then the pain increased severly and I had to see a specailist, according to her my muscle didn't heal properly everytime its used it puts a unusual amount of pressure on my spine and discs. Along with that I have some internal disc displacement and she couldn't finish the testing to find out which. The surgery would've been to fix the discs along with remove some muscle so that it wouldn't put so much pressure on my spine.

Everytime I lift or overwork myself I get severe spasms and the feeling of a dagger in three spots on my back."

So how should I start up any ideas?

Free arcade script----

Feel free to join our forum and talk about outdoor activities!
***Total Insanity!!! We promote MAB Weekly
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2010, 01:12 AM   #2
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
Well I want to start lifting weights again but I'm not sure how to start. I have a back injury which pretty much everyone knows about heres a bit from my private log post

"My back injury as of right now only has 50% certainity and the other 50% they couldn't finish the testing because they fired me and I couldn't afford to continue the testing.

I tore my muscle at the job I had while moving a 225lbs steel box. The first docter gave me meds and two weeks off needless to say when I went back they gave me an even heavier box to move. Then the pain increased severly and I had to see a specailist, according to her my muscle didn't heal properly everytime its used it puts a unusual amount of pressure on my spine and discs. Along with that I have some internal disc displacement and she couldn't finish the testing to find out which. The surgery would've been to fix the discs along with remove some muscle so that it wouldn't put so much pressure on my spine.

Everytime I lift or overwork myself I get severe spasms and the feeling of a dagger in three spots on my back."

So how should I start up any ideas?
the first thing is figure out which exercises are off limits, and then build from whats left. whats your goals, feel free to pm me anytime for help
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Well Tim...the first thing I want to ask about is the possibility of surgery. Did they say anything at the time about surgery, and if it would/could fix the issue?

Weights can help, but they need to be approached wisely. Is it a lower of upper back tear?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
tim
Just dont care any more
Uber Brawn

tim is off to a good starttim is off to a good starttim is off to a good starttim is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Well Tim...the first thing I want to ask about is the possibility of surgery. Did they say anything at the time about surgery, and if it would/could fix the issue?

Weights can help, but they need to be approached wisely. Is it a lower of upper back tear?

Lower back

And they said after surgery I would have anywhere from a 5% to a 15% disability with my back. Id love to get it done but theres no way I can afford it.

The doc said if I could maybe build up my core muscles more it would possibly decrease the pain by 5% but the pain would always be there unless I had surgery.

Free arcade script----

Old 02-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
nighttrain
Max Brawn
Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68

Training Exp: 20+
nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast

good question Steve...

Tim you need to be very careful with your back... i too have back issues, and i know what it feels like not to be able to get out of bed.... i suggest you take it very slow and very easy... for starters only do things that dont effect your back and go very light, and as time progresses you can move up in weight as you feel more comfortable with each lift.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

i have been through treatment on my back a few times and most of my training involved trying to strengthen the small muscles that attach to the spine and shoulders and such. wall push ups are good to get started and get a fitness ball and lay on it and do front and lateral raises with palms up and palms down, thumbs up and thumbs down. balance on the ball can work you alot harder than you think. ab strength and also stretching out can help a ton. your streching should be slow and gradual not short and forced as far as you can go. if you try to push to hard you can tear or damage quickly. none of my stretches were done for less than 60 secs and not done over 80% of how far i could really stretch. hope this helps you a little and if you want pm me and i can try to remember a few of my other exercises i had to do.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
Shaolinkiwi
Ground Zero Training
Max Brawn
Points: 3,328, Level: 35 Points: 3,328, Level: 35 Points: 3,328, Level: 35

Shaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributor

My line of thinking for you to get started is try out some (and this sounds sissy) Pilates.
This will help to slowly build your core with minimal back stress. From there move into focused core work like bridging.

As for weights probably more Iso work even on machines to reduce the possibility of your lower back coming into play.

And low impact cardio on something like the elliptical runner.

T-Alpha Log - CURRENT
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sup...alpha-log.html

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me 1500+! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!
Shaolinkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
tim
Just dont care any more
Uber Brawn

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Free arcade script----

Old 02-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I think you can strengthen your back by purchasing bulk nacho cheese, and carrying down to my house each week.

Just a thought...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #10
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I think you can strengthen your back by purchasing bulk nacho cheese, and carrying down to my house each week.

Just a thought...
nah man down to alabama, his back will be better in no time lol
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote