Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
onetiredkris
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor
Default Dump the Pump?

This is a excerpt from the NFPT study manual. Putting this up to raise some eyebrows and get some thoughts, as I know most people judge the success of their workout based on the pump they received.

Quote:
“The Pump” Swelling of the Working Muscle.

Generally speaking, the majority of molecular elements are either carried
or diffused across microscopic capillary and cellular membranes if the concentration
of that molecular element is lower on the other side of the membrane.
However, relative to exercise, if the pressure of fluid on the outside
of the muscle cell membrane is greater than on the inside of the membrane,
the molecular element lactic acid, and wastes accumulating inside the muscle
cell during long sustained contractions, cannot be excreted. The build up of
excessive amounts of the intracellular fuel, lactic acid, is partially responsible
for contractile failure in high rep sets. This lactic acid disallows maximal
adaptive stress, and therefore compromises size and strength increase.
The following is an explanation of the occurrence of the pump. Lactic acid
builds up during anaerobic energy production in proportion to the intensity
and duration of cellular work performed. Since the cell membrane
is impermeable during contractions unused amounts of lactic acid cannot
escape. The longer the contraction is maintained, the greater this lactic acid
build-up. During this light, high rep training, the contracting muscle tissue
not only experiences a build up of lactic acid it also expands in circumference
causing a constriction of blood flow (a “kink” in the vessels if
you will) in the microscopic capillaries in the interstitial spaces. After a
long set, when the muscle relaxes, the back pressure of blood flow is relieved
(removing the kink.) This rush of blood into the working muscles makes
them appear much larger which subsides upon completion of the workout.
This tremendous amount of blood, immediately re-entering the microscopic
capillaries, is then perfused into the interstitial spaces where it exerts
pressure against the cell membranes. This pressure then prolongs the presence
of unspent intercellular lactic acid which will cause premature failure
of contraction in sets to follow if not given ample time for removal. This
occurrence is known as the pump, and should therefore be avoided if size and
strength increase is the client’s goal. This deserves repeating. The “pump”
should be avoided if size and strength increase is the client’s goal. Training
for this “pump” does of course have tremendous general health benefits
such as providing for a more efficient nutrient and oxygen delivery as well as
an improved waste and carbon-dioxide removal.

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

Last edited by onetiredkris; 02-06-2010 at 04:19 PM.
onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

I agree with the bold if your goal is solely to build strength, but when growth is the objective, a little pump training at the end of the workout is good
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

A lot of this theoretical and clinical stuff I don't put too much credence into.

I know plenty of people on both sides of the pump fence that are big. I've never trained for a pump. I'm a firm believer that progression and consistency trumps pretty much everything.

I can see where a focus on the pump alone would be fairly worthless for natural users. But with that said, AAS users work under different rules. They need a volume of difficult contractions to encourage gains. The pump is more valuable for AAS users.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/pro...kam-files.html

For naturals, to each his own. If you want to do pump training...rock on brother. Me, I'll be over in the corner doing my low rep work that doesn't build muscle. I'm not making fun of different "pumpers"...I just find no use for it.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
onetiredkris
Max Brawn

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

The bold actually states to avoid the pump if size or/and strength are the goal.
I think (even though it doesnt mention it) it means that working out strictly for a pump is not going to yield results.(which i certainly agree)
Its pretty much written for the skinny kids that only stay in the 15-20 rep range and wonder why they never get stronger or add any muscle.

But completely avoiding any pump is ridiculous in my mind. All my movements start and end with a high repetition set. 1st set is to get blood and nutrients into the muscle to prep it for the later-more demanding heavy sets to follow. And the last set is for the same point, to leave the muscle full of nutrients after it has been worked.

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetiredkris View Post
The bold actually states to avoid the pump if size or/and strength are the goal.
I think (even though it doesnt mention it) it means that working out strictly for a pump is not going to yield results.(which i certainly agree)
Its pretty much written for the skinny kids that only stay in the 15-20 rep range and wonder why they never get stronger or add any muscle.

But completely avoiding any pump is ridiculous in my mind. All my movements start and end with a high repetition set. 1st set is to get blood and nutrients into the muscle to prep it for the later-more demanding heavy sets to follow. And the last set is for the same point, to leave the muscle full of nutrients after it has been worked.
I think you bring up a good point. It's somewhat difficult to avoid a good pump if you're working hard.

Some of the research behind Max-Stim training, and it's cousins Doggcrapp, C&P and Bulldozer, reveal that reps with limited rest are very good for growth. I've used this style for the better part of 16 (?) months now and I get pumps.

I dislike training with long rest between sets. I like hitting heavy weight, and beating a muscle while it's down. Mind you, I'm not trying to stump for a certain training style. I'm merely pointing out that many bodybuilding systems have pumps built into them indirectly, and they work just fine.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:36 PM   #6
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I think you bring up a good point. It's somewhat difficult to avoid a good pump if you're working hard.

Some of the research behind Max-Stim training, and it's cousins Doggcrapp, C&P and Bulldozer, reveal that reps with limited rest are very good for growth. I've used this style for the better part of 16 (?) months now and I get pumps.

I dislike training with long rest between sets. I like hitting heavy weight, and beating a muscle while it's down. Mind you, I'm not trying to stump for a certain training style. I'm merely pointing out that many bodybuilding systems have pumps built into them indirectly, and they work just fine.
I've noticed this with GPDT also, i mean if your doing 7 reps in 5min using a near maximal weight it kinda figures you'll get a pump.
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
onetiredkris
Max Brawn

Exactly, I've never heard of a routine that avoided getting any pump going. Which is why this excerpt stood out to me, to a beginner it pretty much sounds like it's condemning getting the slightest form of a pump.

Let me make sure people understand that I am not fully supporting this write-up, but it does share some information that you don't hear often. And the truth is to many people do gauge their workout based on how pumped they got, which isn't a good indicator of muscle breakdown at all.

-OTK's LOG-

Old 02-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #8
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

I have lots of clients that would love to workout without getting a pump or burn.

If you lift heavy weights or lots of repetition volume, guess what, you will get some sort of pump. its biology 102
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I don't live for the pump. I want progression plain and simple. I want to see numbers and oveall growth.

I can't lie though. finishing a good workout, and having a bit of a pump does feel pretty good. It doesn't mean jack though if i haven't met my goals. I don't lift for a pump alone.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

This science is outdated and the fluid pressure inside the muscle DURING a workout is immaterial...muscles get bigger or stronger when? That's right at rest, when you're not training.

PS - There are some muscle groups that if I don't get some pump, I don't get bigger...