Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:02 PM   #1
Conehead_Alpha
New Brawn

Fav Exercise: Rows
Conehead_Alpha is off to a bad start
Default Full body or develop abs?

I am a beginner with long history exercising but new to strength training. Currently my abdominal strength, particularly lower (probably due to sitting posture), is lacking relative to my limb strength. I have been told that doing full body workout with an emphasis on compound lifts like squats and bench will bring my abs up to shape naturally "on the side". I've read from another source that I should develop abs BEFORE I start building the rest of my body.

Which should I do?

My biggest fear with choosing the former (full body) is that my muscles will adapt to the exercises in a way that is less intense for my abs and I will end up with major imbalances.
Conehead_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2015, 08:22 PM   #2
Kyle Aaron
community gym PT
Uber Brawn

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: milk
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

Lift heavy, eat good food. Your abs will take care of themselves.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:30 PM   #3
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 25!
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Cookies&Cream Whey
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

heavy, full-body lifting will develop your "core" musculature just fine.
if it lags, do some planking.

to develop your "abs" you can do some isolation work after the heavy stuff to hypertrophy muscle bellies in your rectus abdominis

Old 08-05-2015, 09:10 PM   #4
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Chicken every day Homie!
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Do a full body. Lift heavy and Hard. But don't neglect abs. Pick one ab or core exercise for each day of your full body. Leg Raises, crunches and side bends may be a good start, doing one exercise on each day, for 3 sets. Focus on progression. Planks and bird dogs may also be good options depending on your current ab strength levels.
It is foolish and possibly dangerous to neglect ones abs. Ab strength is key to lower back health. I speak from a position of experience. Weak abs = bad back. Strong Abs = healthy back. I've lived this.
In past years I thought direct ab work was not necessary. I developed an extreme lack of ab strength. This resulted in a degenerated disc in my back. I was told to never squat and deadlift again. I was hooked on painkillers to manage the back pain. A couple years later, with some solid focus and progress on ab strength, I have been clean from pain killers for 8 months and I am squating, deadlifting, and doing power cleans pain free.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.

Last edited by BigJosh; 08-05-2015 at 09:14 PM.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:15 AM   #5
Dray
Max Brawn

Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
Lift heavy, eat good food. Your abs will take care of themselves.
This, and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
heavy, full-body lifting will develop your "core" musculature just fine.
if it lags, do some planking.
... this.

If you feel a burning need, go plank. But seriously, bracing hard while squatting, deadlifting, rowing, pressing, chinning, et al, will strengthen your "abs" like crazy.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:52 AM   #6
Ben
Brawn

Ben is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributor

The GOAT talks a little about ab work from 7:50 in this video.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:53 AM   #7
dlocas
Max Brawn

Training Exp: Started in Jan. 2013
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Mac and cheese
dlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master member

Full body work can develop a very tough core, especially if the sessions revolve around squatting, deadlifting and overhead work. It varies with exercise selection and the volume and frequency you're doing.

If you start out light on squatting and deadlifting and avoid adding weight too fast, your core will have time to adapt and build a solid base, especially if you do these lifts often.

I have always trained full body, mostly training the same lifts 3-4 times a week. I do loads of clean & press and power cleans, in addition to deadlifting. I may sometimes do planks, but my core feels pretty solid and fine just from power cleaning. I do one-hand deadlifts at times, and this is a great lift for core -- and hand -- strength! Lots of oldtime weightlifters and strongmen hardly did any direct ab work, yet they could clean and press 300 lbs and more, lift some heavy rocks and kegs, etc., and they had granite abs!

Last edited by dlocas; 08-06-2015 at 09:03 AM.
dlocas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Do a full body and then incorporate 1-2 sets of ab wheel roll outs or planks each day, or every other session.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:46 PM   #9
Biggraygrizzly
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 32
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Beef Aminos
Biggraygrizzly is a master memberBiggraygrizzly is a master memberBiggraygrizzly is a master memberBiggraygrizzly is a master memberBiggraygrizzly is a master memberBiggraygrizzly is a master memberBiggraygrizzly is a master memberBiggraygrizzly is a master memberBiggraygrizzly is a master memberBiggraygrizzly is a master memberBiggraygrizzly is a master member

Also when you lifting, before you start a set blow all the air out and pull core tight while you doing you set this will also help you core strengthen as well
Biggraygrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:02 PM   #10
Shmeegs
Brawn

Training Exp: Off and on for 15 yrs
Fav Exercise: Compounds
Fav Supp: Moo cow f@$ milk
Shmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributor

Make sure you include lower back work along with ab work. A set or two of planks or leg raises after your routine are good but make sure you also do some extensions or deadlift variations to strengthen your lower back.
Shmeegs is online now   Reply With Quote