Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:02 PM   #1
hardlymovin2003
Brawn

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Whey
hardlymovin2003 is off to a bad start
Default Need some guidance

Hey everyone just needed some help with a lifestyle change coming for me. My girlfriend is due to have a baby in September. I'm very excited and can't wait. I'm looking for some help as to ways to maintain training and ways to get my sleep and calories in. I'm also working 20-30 hours a week while going to college full time (Monday and Wednesday). I've been bouncing around from fullbody to upper/lowers but trying to maintain progression on big lifts. I go to the gym and have access to all sorts of equipment. I'm 24 years old 5"8 and weigh about 152lbs. I'm obviously bulking and my goals are to get as big and as strong as possible. Despite not being very big I do have a lot of experience in the gym (7 years) just never maintained progress long enough and don't have much to show for all those years which I hate.

My current lifts are:
Squats 3 sets 165x8
Deadlifts 2 sets 275x5
Bench Press 3 sets 155x6
I much prefer DB Bench which is 3 sets 65x12
Barbell Rows 3 sets 145x8
DB Rows 3 sets 80x10
Military Press 3 sets 105x6
Weighted Chins 3 sets 10lbsx8
Weighted Dips 2 sets 30x13
Barbell Curls 2 sets 65x12
Lying Tricep Extensions 2 sets 70x10
Lateral Raises 3 sets 15x12
Seated DB Shoulder Press 3 sets 50x10

I need a routine that is going to be flexible because I'm sure there's gonna be times I won't be able to get to the gym with the new baby. But I also want to maintain progression obviously on the things that are going to get me BIG and STRONG. I enjoy fullbody training but lately I've been enjoying a upper/lower and even push/pulls even more. However, I want something that I can stick to/enjoy and something that will produce the gains I want while being flexible and customizable when time is short. I'm looking at a long term type of routine. Again something that I can customize as I go but again that is flexible.

I hope this all makes sense and any help on what anyone thinks I should do would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by hardlymovin2003; 07-26-2015 at 12:08 PM.
hardlymovin2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #2
miked96
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 25
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member

This works well especially when you are short on time. You don't have to follow the periodization rep ranges unless you want to, you can easily just pick one and work on progressing that one (ex. 3x5, 3x8, use a total rep goal, etc). Your short on time so one compound exercise each for legs, back, and shoulder girdle and get really strong on them.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forum/work...d-routine.html
miked96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #3
Sandbox
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Dead Cow
Sandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master member

I've always liked this since Mike posted it. HLM is the way to go.

If time becomes too compressed (a baby will consume your life) in any given week you can drop day 2. If you are hitting good form, limiting this to 20 minutes, and consuming some good calories - you may just find this is the best growth builder you've been on.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:58 PM   #4
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Also, if you miss a day, just pick up where you left off....sounds like work, school and the family will be competing for your energy. The occasional stretched microcycle will not do you any harm.

"Do not change shit up during a training cycle." -Sandbox

Best PL total: 1020 - 350/265/405
Current total: 945 - 335/245/365
jdmalm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:25 AM   #5
Shmeegs
Brawn

Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: collar2collar bench press
Fav Supp: Moo cow f@$ milk
Shmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributor

The goal with having a child is trying to make time for yourself. Do something. Your life will be hectic enough with the new baby and more than likely hundreds of visitors. During the day, so something for yourself.
Now in regards to working out, again do something. Even of its just a set of each exercise. I did that frequently when our three year old was growing up. I would do a set of each:
Squats
Bench
Row
Press
Deadlift/power cleans

That was it. It was enough to exert energy and as long as the progression was there, enough to grow on. You are going to be making time to sleep and eat. Take a little bit of "me" time and workout. It was during this time that i started getting equipment for my home gym. The drive and workout was taking too long. I go to my garage, do my lifts, and get showered and ready to roll. Best of luck to your family. Spend time with your kid, they seem to grow up right before your eyes.
Shmeegs is offline   Reply With Quote